what scales can i use on a major blues chord progression/bassline?

ive been playing minor blues and i wanna try some major...would the major pentatonic fit? what else can i use?
if you mean a standard 12-bar blues (or else) with major chords, a minor pentatonic will do. when you play blues with minor chords you play just a minor scale, not a pentatonic, or maybe notes from both of them
i mean a 12 bar blues,
but,its really like this my fellow bass player came up with a major scale derived bassline and the minor pentatonic/blues/minor scales didnt sound good with it,so i was wondering if i should get to know and used the major pentatonic and if it could be of use here,and what else i can use here..
Most real 12 bar blues, like BB King, and some Eric Clapton to name someone more recent, constantly switch between major and minor pentatonic, probably quicker than any other genre, to create that 'sad' sound of 'the blues'. Just play a standard (for example) 12 bar blues progression in a, and try mixing the two scales together (that being A major and A minor pentatonic). And remember (dunno how up you are on major pent) that A major pentatonic is the same shape as F# minor pentatonic with a different root note!
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by Alijonroth
i mean a 12 bar blues,
but,its really like this my fellow bass player came up with a major scale derived bassline and the minor pentatonic/blues/minor scales didnt sound good with it,so i was wondering if i should get to know and used the major pentatonic and if it could be of use here,and what else i can use here..

i understand what you mean but think of rock n roll classics like "Jailhouse rock" and "Johnny b goode"... it's major scale bassline and minor pentatonic. Maybe it's all bout mixing different scales, something like the blues scale, it's a minor pentatonic with some more notes; for example in the A one you have Eb, this "blue note" you can use to add feeling
didnt read all that, just your question

play the relative minor pentatonic (i forget if thats the correct term for it). basically, if you play the pentatonic in g it will be the same as the em pentatonic. easy enough right?

its sweet cause you can play the g pentatonic the whole time in the blues in e. you dont even HAVE to make the cord changes.
Errr....what? That's not true, I think what you mean is B pentatonic don't you?
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by blind nate
didnt read all that, just your question

play the relative minor pentatonic (i forget if thats the correct term for it). basically, if you play the pentatonic in g it will be the same as the em pentatonic. easy enough right?

its sweet cause you can play the g pentatonic the whole time in the blues in e. you dont even HAVE to make the cord changes.

that's basically right, if you have let's say note 1, and note 2 wich is a step n a half higher, then the MAJOR pentatonic of note 2 and the Minor pentatonic of note 1 have precisely same notes. Hope this is useful for you
Quote by swinghead
that's basically right, if you have let's say note 1, and note 2 wich is a step n a half higher, then the MAJOR pentatonic of note 2 and the Minor pentatonic of note 1 have precisely same notes. Hope this is useful for you

so then arent i correct? g is a step and a half higher than e...?
you can play the major penatonic. its also nice to throw in some mixolydian too.
maj pent. (in C
C D E G A C
mixolydian in c
C D E F G A Bb C
oh i didnt know that,a step and a half further the major scale has the same notes,that should come in handy!
and A major pentatonic is the same shape as F# minor pentatonic with a different root note,hmm,ill try that!

so its basically mixing up major and minor pentatonics and some mixolydian,that would take a bit of experimenting!
but hey,thanks! i think im on track now!
Quote by blind nate
so then arent i correct? g is a step and a half higher than e...?

yes, right
I'd try learning both the major and minor pentatonic scales, and then when you need a more "major" kind of sound or feel tot he song, try and use the areas of the major scale that kind of overlap (literally. compare their "boxes") with the minor pentatonic scale. I haven't tried it, but a magazine I bought relayed it to me in this manner.
I think a lot of people don't really understand the use of *minor* pentatonic in
blues and rock.

Playing a minor (which has a b3) over a major chord (which has a 3) is the ESSENCE
of the blues sound. It's as simple as that. It just doesn't fit into the notion you
play major over major, minor over minor. In blues and rock minor (pentatonic) is
played over major chords all the time.

The only thing is you don't want to sit on that b3 over certain chords when they're
major, but using the b3 as a lead tone for either the 3 or 2 is a VERY bluesy thing
to do.
Mixolydian, Dorian and the relative minor mixed tends to work, and occasionally some major key bending licks. It's a lot easier to demonstrate tbh.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

its probably been said before, but just play the minor pentatonic scale with the root being the relative minor of whatever is the root your bass player is playing if that makes sense.

lets say his riff is in D major, then just move down 1 and a half steps to a B and play the B Minor Pentatonic. itll fit.

...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77

lets say his riff is in D major, then just move down 1 and a half steps to a B and play the B Minor Pentatonic. itll fit.

lol, yeah, that's because B Minor pent 1 1/2 steps down IS D major pentatonic!
It would actually be pretty normal to play D minor pent over that too if it was blues
and/or a lot of rock type stuff...