Hey, I've been playing guitar since about March of this year and I've got bends down, I can do a little vibrato.... I don't really learn songs, I just do the 1, 2, 3, 4 thing for hours. I don't study music theory much, for now, I'm just trying to get comfortable with the guitar.... I guess the hardest song I can play is Laid To Rest by Lamb Of God... I can't play it perfectly, but I can play it. I can also play Hourglass by them. Umm... Yeah, I just want to know if I'm doing alright for about 5 months now and if not, where should I be and what I'm doing wrong. Also... how long will it take for me to be able to play more difficult songs and solos? Thanks in advance..

P.S.

Oh and I mean more challenging solos.
dont worry about how your doing compared to how loing youve been playing. Everyone goes along at different speeds. And as for how long it will take to play more challenging stuff, theres not a specific timeframe on that - it all depends on how much you practice.

Oh and youre doing great for 5 months
Quote by add666
dont worry about how your doing compared to how loing youve been playing. Everyone goes along at different speeds. And as for how long it will take to play more challenging stuff, theres not a specific timeframe on that - it all depends on how much you practice.

Oh and youre doing great for 5 months

+1 totally!
If you think you're pretty good, try Master of Puppets without the insane fast solo. Slow one and the high pitched one are pretty easy.
definitely start playing some more songs because that's where the skills your learning gets perfected.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
learn the blues and the pentatonic, then buy something to record yourself with and have fun jamming for hours!

seriously, i think everyone should start with the blues because it teaches your proper EVERYTHING (almost). and almost anyone anywhere can play the blues so you can jam with them. you can also solo and let everything you feel out... its awesome. i love the blues.

(cyberfret.com)
You're doing very well for 5 months. I'd suggest playing some of those slow, melodic solos whether you're into that kind of thing or not (I'm guessing you're not). Those kind of solos where you play lots of bends and vibrato on overdrive will really get you to play cleanly. Petrucci plays that sort of thing a lot when he's not shredding.