Hey guys , iv been playing guitar for a few years now and im pretty good , but what always confuses me is music theory / guitar theory, and when i see all these people talking about modes ext i get confused and think to myself that knowing all this stuff will help me progress

Well the question is , im thinking about ordering a book of some sort to help me so could you recommend me some ( Note i am from the UK )

And which would be better just a normal Music Theory or a Guitar Theory ??

Thanks alot !
Well iv tried and tried with internet lessons but never understood

Could someone recommend me a decent book!
Personally, I recommend PlaneTalk. Google.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
yeah,i dont know if this is selled in english too,but w.ziegenrücker-allgemeine musiklehre is a great german musictheory book,thats commend by the music university in osnabrück germany.
Quote by felixdcat
Personally, I recommend PlaneTalk. Google.

PlaneTalk looks like a waste of money to me.
Bring back Tabo
So anyone actually got any good books that could help me with my Guitar/Music Theory ? :p
Music Theory for Dummies is meant to good, except its not guitar specific. You can get it at Waterstones.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
Music Theory for Dummies is meant to good, except its not guitar specific. You can get it at Waterstones.

Cheers mate , anymore anyone ?
Quote by Thormier
Well iv tried and tried with internet lessons but never understood

Could someone recommend me a decent book!

What makes you think a book will be any different?
Quote by Peanut1614

+ 1 million. a good friend of mine got this book. he swore before he got it that music theory was too hard and he could never learn it. he got this, did the exercises and he's well on his way to being knowledgeable (i can tell him "hey this chord is a dim7" and he knows what im talking about) i recommend applying the lessons to guitar as you learn them as well (my friend didn't do this much) and it will make a LOT more sense and interpreting the lessons will be easier.
Quote by B345T
PlaneTalk looks like a waste of money to me.

Well, it maybe looks like one, but isn't. At least for me.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Quote by ooder the cow
not in answer to you question, but is a good theory help.

this

What the hell, I click that once and I got about 20 popups of the same window.
Quote by confusius
What the hell, I click that once and I got about 20 popups of the same window.

Your mouse button ist kaputt?
"Shred Guitar" by Paul Hanson is actually a pretty decent practical guitar theory
book in disguise (it rather sucks as a technique book). Each chapter covers a
chord progression which in general highlights the usage of a particular mode.

Part II of the book is a handy-dandy "practical theory" guide. Which has a good
chunk of what you'd need to know in not too many pages and it covers scale
positions and diagrams so its theory from a guitar standpoint.
BTW the only problem I have with Music Thoery for DUmmies is that the intervals for a dominant chord are 1 3 5 7 I think when I browsed it in the shop and not 1 3 5 b7, so look out for that. May just have been me remembering it wrong but if you do buy the book you can confirm/deny it!
Quote by cakemonster91

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Quote by Peanut1614
BTW the only problem I have with Music Thoery for DUmmies is that the intervals for a dominant chord are 1 3 5 7 I think when I browsed it in the shop and not 1 3 5 b7, so look out for that. May just have been me remembering it wrong but if you do buy the book you can confirm/deny it!

Thanks for that recommendation , iv ordered thee book and its on its way =) and yes i shall confirm this

Are there any websites that are FREE that can also help me with my theory , the only one i really know is www.musictheory.net
i can help you out with basic theory. PM me or something. Alot of people here can help alot.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by Thormier
Thanks for that recommendation , iv ordered thee book and its on its way =) and yes i shall confirm this

Are there any websites that are FREE that can also help me with my theory , the only one i really know is www.musictheory.net

This one Theres a big thread about it at the top, and alot of lessons on it!
Quote by cakemonster91

I'd just look through the lessons here man. Save your money for new guitar strings. B345T gave a solid link to modes. And alot of Guitar specific theory is talked about in the forums. Also, there are tons of videos and what not online for free.