Ok Pit, here's the question.
Just wondering what people think are the best produced albums of all time. Doesn't matter if the band are really good or really bad, just the production on the album. So list:

1. Band Name
2. Album Name
3. Why - your reasons for choosing that album
4. Best track

Feel free to add any comments.

P.S. Play fair! Try not to flame!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
1. In flames
2. Come clarity
3. Just is
4. Come clarity

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Reuben - In Nothing We Trust

Because every instrument stands out great on its own, the tones of everything sound brilliant, the layers are brilliant...its just all brilliant. It sounds brilliantly produced while at the same time retains its raw, powerful edge

Best track - Suffocation of the Soul
Quote by p.stick
1. In flames
2. Come clarity
3. Just is
4. Come clarity

+1

it's just awesome!
Never trust a woman when she says "BRB"
Right, I have two albums equally well produced so...

1. AC/DC
2. Back In Black
3. It sounds pefect and all the songs flow smoothly while the last track sounds like the album is complete
4. Gonna have to be Hell's Bells

The other album was...

1. DEF LEPPARD
2. Hysteria
3. It took a decade to write, record, produce and release, it's gonna be good...
4. Dunno, they all amazing, possibly Rocket
metallica - metallica (black album)

the album that possibly made them the biggest metal band of all time
There is already a thread with exactly the same topic in the Riffs and Recording forums....

But anyway....
to contribute:

Tool - 10000 days

Just listen to it and you'll understand why i think it is one of the best produced album ever! There's so much that has gone into the production of that album. It multi-layered, you discover new things everytime you listen to it. The song 10,000 days (Wings for Marie pt. 2) is the best produced song i've ever herd! The album has got an incredible dynamic range with loads of details and clarity in the mix. Use of different techniques to get different effects. The intro vocals on Rosetta Stoned is another example of Production pushed over the limits! Tool has really pushed the production envelope with this album!

Best Track - 10,000 days (Wings for Marie pt. 2)
Hrm this may be controverstial and it's not like the most groundbreaing of albums...but for sheer production quality and clarity i'll say:

1. Megadeth
2. United Abominations
3. The whole sound of the recording is clear and really high quality, it's a pleasure to listen to
4. Washington is next
1. Meshuggah
2. Catch 33
3. It's just like a continuous of energetic rhythms and the way that the drummer changes the rhythm pattern but still manages to keep the beat is amazing. The riffs are robotic and hypnotic. It's just amazing.
4. In Death - Is Death
Some good albums!

Mine is going to have to be....

tool
lateralus
because its my absolute favorite guitar sound, and all the instruments sound perfect together
The patient

Was really tempted to put Pearl Jam in there tho!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania

Quote by ctb
3. It's just like a continuous of energetic rhythms and the way that the drummer changes the rhythm pattern but still manages to keep the beat is amazing. The riffs are robotic and hypnotic. It's just amazing.

That has absolutely nothing to do with production quality
I think

1. Metallica
2. Black album
3. It brought metallica to the central stage. the album produced greatest hits like "Nothinng else matters, Enter sandman " etc. Everyone who plays guitar have learned "nothing else matters"
4.nothing Else matters , Enter sandman , sad but true all are classics
Hi
Yeah sorry about the repeated thread! I did do a search before but I admit it was only a quick one, sorry. No harm done!!
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Quote by abhishek21
I think

1. Metallica
2. Black album
3. It brought metallica to the central stage. the album produced greatest hits like "Nothinng else matters, Enter sandman " etc. Everyone who plays guitar have learned "nothing else matters"
4.nothing Else matters , Enter sandman , sad but true all are classics

It's about production quality is this not? You need to base it upon how good the recording is and stuff - whether or not it made them famous or is much played doesn't change it's production
Pink Floyd
P.U.L.S.E
Because the tracklist is awesome, and t has some of the best solos ever. David clearly had a very good day the day that that gig was recorded.
Comfortably Numb
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by philipisabeast
It's about production quality is this not? You need to base it upon how good the recording is and stuff - whether or not it made them famous or is much played doesn't change it's production

Yes but it seems people are just putting albums they really like
the dillinger escape plan
miss mashine
greg owns, also as a clean singer. and the jazz breakes are awesome
panasonic youth
w00t?
Its fair enough, production quality can cover a whole load of things. The album can be really raw but as long as that suits the feel of the music. You don't want grunge to be overproduced! its the balance of getting it just right
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Quote by af_the_fragile
There is already a thread with exactly the same topic in the Riffs and Recording forums....

But anyway....
to contribute:

Tool - 10000 days

Just listen to it and you'll understand why i think it is one of the best produced album ever! There's so much that has gone into the production of that album. It multi-layered, you discover new things everytime you listen to it. The song 10,000 days (Wings for Marie pt. 2) is the best produced song i've ever herd! The album has got an incredible dynamic range with loads of details and clarity in the mix. Use of different techniques to get different effects. The intro vocals on Rosetta Stoned is another example of Production pushed over the limits! Tool has really pushed the production envelope with this album!

Best Track - 10,000 days (Wings for Marie pt. 2)

+1. But, I'm gonna say that Vicarious or The Pot are the best tracks.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by philipisabeast

the production of album was really fantastic . All the guitar tomes were really excellent . The album was both energetic and melodic . And there were some evil sounding riffs in it. Technique wise it was really good. Hope This is fine
Hi
Quote by GiantRaven

Catch 33 is still quite a well produced album.
ctb had the idea why, he just couldn't exactly describe it.

The is amazing intensity in all the instruments all throughout the album. All the guitars being huge don't mask out any other sounds. You can hear all the little details in the sound clearly.
And its just the plain intensity of all the instruments in the production. The music really moves you!
Though a large part of it comes mostly due to the off beat rhythm changes. But all that could only be emphasized due to the great production!

Same goes for Metallica's Black Album...
That album had the biggest production job probably in all of rock history! Metallica spent 9 months in the top recording studios recording that album! That alone should say how much went into producing that album! Everything in that album sounds massive! The guitars, the drums, the vocals, the bass. Thats all due to the 9 months Metallica spent with the best producers in the best recording studios in america!!
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 5, 2007,
Can't belive noone has mention Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

The whole thing is so under-produced yet it sounds awesome. One of the rawest records, yet has become a landmark in the eyes of producers. Seems almost magical. You can hear the band talking in the background at some points, you can even hear them moving around with their instruments! Everything just seems so raw, you can really feel the emotion.
1. Judas Priest
2. British Steel
3. It was recorded at Tittenhurst Park, throughout Ringo Starr's house. ie the drums were recorded in the marble floored hallway of the house with mics hanging over the banister for the staircase, rob halford shaking a drawer of cutlery was recorded and compressed to be used as a sound effect in metal gods and other stuff like that
4. Breaking The Law
Quote by GiantRaven

Oh f*ck. You're right. lmao
Actually the Black Album is a masterclass in production. Fantastically produced and everything just sounds great.

1. Opeth
2. Blackwater Park
3. Uh, the production is good? Compared to their previous albums, everything sounds tight on this one and they finally nail everything, especially the guitar tone
4. Bleak

Man, haven't listened to that album in ages
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
Quote by Marsbe
Can't belive noone has mention Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

The whole thing is so under-produced yet it sounds awesome. One of the rawest records, yet has become a landmark in the eyes of producers. Seems almost magical. You can hear the band talking in the background at some points, you can even hear them moving around with their instruments! Everything just seems so raw, you can really feel the emotion.

It don't think its that great tbh, sounds outdated now
Another one i'ld hafta include is

BT - This Binary Universe

Its electronica and dance but listen to it. Its like nothing you might have had herd before! Its recorded in 5.1 surround sound and well the production is just simply mind blowing!!

Best Track - Dynamic Symmetry
Quote by GiantRaven
Reuben - In Nothing We Trust

Because every instrument stands out great on its own, the tones of everything sound brilliant, the layers are brilliant...its just all brilliant. It sounds brilliantly produced while at the same time retains its raw, powerful edge

Best track - Suffocation of the Soul

Amen to that, but I prefer 3 Hail Marys to Suffocation.

Agony Agatha is also a beast of a song!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Metallica

Black Album

The track layering and superb production of Bob Rock gave the album a revolutionary sound that pushed Metallica into the mainstream and made them possibly the biggest metal band ever

Enter Sandman, one of the most recognizable riffs in metal (just after smoke on the water and Iron Man of course)
Quote by ctb
1. Meshuggah
2. Catch 33
4. In Death - Is Death

They used a drum machine on that album