Hey guys, I see a lot of guys knocking Line 6 amps and I was wonder why people don't care for them. I got a Line 6 Spyder II 150 watt stereo head 75 watts a channel and then bought a no name 4x10 cab. I use it everyday and learning more about the settings and sounds and I really don't think it's a bad set up at all. I have had several other amps over the years and I do like good tube amp for sure but this is one of the better SS amps I have used. The best part is the two peices cost me less than $200.00 and that was after I recovered with fake snakeskin and speaker grill material for them to match. I was bummed the cab turned out to be 4x10s it was advertized as 4x12s but for $90.00 I didn't complain and it does sound good. My problem is finding a matching size lower cab now.

Sorry about the pic the grill material doesn't look that shiny it was the flash that brought that out and kind of washed out the rest of the pic.

John
line 6 spiders suck.
Crank that 150 watter (if you can without bursting your eardrums) and hear how much WORSE it gets.
Then try a valve amp at the same price of the 150 watt spider you have.
Then crank that and hear how much BETTER it gets.

If your argument is that it's one of the best solid states, try some other great SS amps such as Vox's (hybrid , yes but it's just a marketing scheme), Randalls and many others
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
dude, i love line 6 stuff. i think it's awesome. a lot of people around here flame the spider 3.

i have a ax2-212 (converted up from an axsys 212, their first amp), and a pod xt live. i use them pretty much exclusively.

nice job on the covering, btw.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
It's not all Line 6 amps. For what they do, the Flextones and Vettas are great. But the Spiders are not so good. They're not the worst SS amps, but they are nowhere near the best, either.
why do these threads pop up every now and then?

Btw I have used a Line 6 Spider II half stack extensively during jamming practise and it just has no cutting power, just sterile sounding treblyness with no note definition.

But hey, if it sounds good to you, why would you care what others think? All the power to you then.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by irishman
slightly off topic question, but what would be the best SS amp? im just curious

Perhaps one of the high-end Fender solid states, such as the Jazz-King? But, more than likely, it's the Roland Jazz Chorus. At least, that's the best in my opinion. Not counting, of course, the high end modelling amps, which are also really good (Line 6 Vetta and Hughes and Kettner Zentera). There might be one better than all of these, there might not.
Quote by irishman
slightly off topic question, but what would be the best SS amp? im just curious

Randall makes some great solid state amps.
I have tried Randall amps and I do like them I live in a small apartment and anything over a three and the neighbors start kicking the walls. LOL For what I use the amp for now I can't complain. I have not been playing for years and am now getting back into it and I have to admit I am not very good so I need to practice A LOT! LOL I would love to have an old vintage Marshall stack but for now I have to settle but I am happy with the Line 6.

John
ONly idiots know line 6 amps as a whole, its the spiders that are really bad.

If you paid $500 for the whole setup, I bet you you wouldn't be as happy about it as you are now. Sure, almost any amp that loud is a good deal at $200, and at least you get a cab, but that head retails for alot more than $100, unfortunately.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Line6 aren't a bad company, but the Spider series is bad. But hell, if you're happy, whatever man, I'm happy for you. I wish I could've been happy without shelling out for all my gear.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Line 6 is good stuff. Line 6 Spiders suck.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
How bout using the search thread next time...

These threads pop up at least once a week, you could've probably even went a couple pages back on the GG&A and found your answer very easily.

These threads are getting old.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Guys listen, you can like Spiders, and you can like MG's. But honestly, is it really necessary to start a thread on this every day? I mean, at least use the search button. We'd put something in the stickies saying stuff like this, but oh, that's right, you guys don't read the stickies. Most of the people who have played Spiders and MG's haven't even played a tube amp before. I think I speak for all of GG&A when I say we honestly don't give a flying **** if you like them. If you think the tone is the best thing since sliced bread, good for you. The amount of threads on this is getting annoying. Yeah, I know, the search button is a piece of crap. But think to yourself for a minute. Think "Wow, in the 6 years that the forums have been up, could this thread have been made before?"
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
Guys listen, you can like Spiders, and you can like MG's. But honestly, is it really necessary to start a thread on this every day? I mean, at least use the search button. We'd put something in the stickies saying stuff like this, but oh, that's right, you guys don't read the stickies. Most of the people who have played Spiders and MG's haven't even played a tube amp before. I think I speak for all of GG&A when I say we honestly don't give a flying **** if you like them. If you think the tone is the best thing since sliced bread, good for you. The amount of threads on this is getting annoying. Yeah, I know, the search button is a piece of crap. But think to yourself for a minute. Think "Wow, in the 6 years that the forums have been up, could this thread have been made before?"

+12836482648232638
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've done replied to enough spider sucks threads, I'm not even going to put up my defense for the spider this time.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last night while I was at a show one of the guitarists in band I know had a problem with his amp. (Truthfully I think they forgot it) I told him I was right around the corner and I would loan him my Spider II set up. He said he would pass but after he asked around if he could borrow one from one of the other bands no one was up for it so he and I drove home and brought the amp to the gig. They played last so it was late when they did play. They play very heavy Deathcore/Grind lots of distortion. The show was great and I was very surprised how well the amp preformed especially hearing some of the bad rap they get. After the show he came to me and thanked me and he said after hearing a lot of bad about Spider IIs he thought it was great. He uses a Marshall amp, it's a solid state one fairly new. He says he wouldn't trade it for a Spider II but he says it's still was a good amp and sounded much better than he expected. He uses a distortion pedal with his Marshall but he didn't with the Spider he just used the distortion that is built in. He uses a couple Jacksons, a RR and a Jackson 7 string he has an Ibanez 7 string but he didn't have that with him.

I guess I will be happy with my amp for now seeing I am trying to get back into playing.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Last night while I was at a show one of the guitarists in band I know had a problem with his amp. (Truthfully I think they forgot it) I told him I was right around the corner and I would loan him my Spider II set up. He said he would pass but after he asked around if he could borrow one from one of the other bands no one was up for it so he and I drove home and brought the amp to the gig. They played last so it was late when they did play. They play very heavy Deathcore/Grind lots of distortion. The show was great and I was very surprised how well the amp preformed especially hearing some of the bad rap they get. After the show he came to me and thanked me and he said after hearing a lot of bad about Spider IIs he thought it was great. He uses a Marshall amp, it's a solid state one fairly new. He says he wouldn't trade it for a Spider II but he says it's still was a good amp and sounded much better than he expected. He uses a distortion pedal with his Marshall but he didn't with the Spider he just used the distortion that is built in. He uses a couple Jacksons, a RR and a Jackson 7 string he has an Ibanez 7 string but he didn't have that with him.

I guess I will be happy with my amp for now seeing I am trying to get back into playing.

John

Well solid state marshalls are even worse so no wonder he thought it was good
Quote by Ashdownlover
LOL solid state marshalls = Poo

Solid state Line 6s = Meh

Tube amps = WIN!!!!!

oh FFS

marshall used to make some pretty decent SS amps.

ever heard of the vetta, flextone and axsys12 ?

not all tube amps are good.

and now stop making silly posts.
8/10 people in every spider/mg thread come in a start talking bollocks, from both the hate and love side of the argument. Most of the hate side have never tried the amp and are jsut jumping on the bandwagon and talking out of their ass, the love side have only just gotten there amp, havent even compared it to something of better quality and are too blind too admit where it lacks tonally and in terms of value.

If you like your amp, good, we're glad you're happy with it, I stress DONT BUY A NEW AMP JUST BECAUSE UG TOLD YOU IT WAS GAY. If you had this amp and dont like it, then theres a problem. Otherise keep it, love it, and play your go damn instrument instead of listening to what everyone else thinks, it's about doing what you love for yourself, not going out and getting a £1000 amp to please UG. Everyones tastes develop and mature, maybe yours will, maybe not, maybe you'll realise you want something else, maybe not. In the end, only you have to be happy with your sound.

Edit: That wasnt directed towards the TS by the way, just at this whole argument in general.