So I have a track up on my myspace and I have been getting some postive and negative stats..as I encounter more opinions I tend to think of criticism as opinions (which it pretty much is)..as a band sometimes the opinions get to me but I always tell myself that criticism doesnt mean that the band is bad nor does anything need to be changed..there's a difference between something that needs work and something that someone just thinks should be changed..(which doesnt mean it HAS to be done) am I right to have this assumption? I was just wondering how some bands handle this type of thing..I've heard that after sometime you become accustomed to opinions as music is a heavily opinionated aspect.. Example:people think ion dissonance is nothing but random muting with a few chords thrown in (THAT is an opinion and it doesnt mean the band is bad) however if the band were not hitting chords correctly or they were off time..then that would count as something that needs work..I would suppose thats how it works..am I right? another thing..there's a band on a local label whos song i figured out the first riff to it..I posted it up on the page but as a small joke i changed the label name from "striate" to "non- straight" and the bands album from "autumnal equinox" to "autumnal equicox"..I thought it would be a great way to get a laugh for a great band..but it appears not..someone messaged me mouthing off about how that band is superior to me and all that (that band was a completely different style from me) and started attacking me saying i need to respect greater music and all...he didnt even bother to ask what i was doing with that concept..I mean I can udnerstand that someone would see that as offensive but I guess some people dont share the same humor..I think that guy was wrong in many ways and he could have talked to me much nicer..he was raving about a band that not too many people know about on a local label built on high school players...

here's what he said
So, here's the deal. No one gets very far in the music industry when they make fun of other bands that have actually achieved far greater than the person bashing on them. Second of all, I have to say that (band name here) has incredible musicianship, something you don't know anything about. Why don't you grow up, learn music theory, learn to respect the ideas that go way over your head, and quit being a ****ing dick. If I happen to hear about your poor attitude surfacing on the internet again, then there will definitly be surfacing TRUTHS about the bull**** music you write.

"****ing (Band name here), god dammit".

and this is what i said back:
I wasnt making fun of (band name again)..you need to ask me first before you jump to conclusions..i like that riff...the whole thing was just a small joke..if i were bashing on them it would be far worse than what it was so seriously man chill out...I'm shocked to read something about this and if you havent noticed I changed stuff that I put up..take a joke man..it confused alot of people so I changed what stuff had said..I told noah that as well..I dont wanna start **** but I dont need any bashing on my music either..I'm getting along just fine..so if you wanna make ends meet then understand that i wasnt "bashing" anything...

i posted a full bulletin explaining everything and i changed the bands name back..whats some reactions to this? does anyone have these issues between bands? I just dont get the insane anger because of something said about a band that doesnt have a huge profile you know? not that it demotes a band but I didnt think it would be this severe

this is huge i know but i need a little bit of clarity here..i know i was wrong and could have made it more apparent that it was a joke so please dont bag me for that..how would you feel if you got something like that in your inbox? was this the right choice to do within the band and what my response was?
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
Last edited by DiamondOfBlood at Sep 5, 2007,
I'd laugh and shrug it off- it's just the internet.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems pretty obviously a joke.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by Hobolad
I'd laugh and shrug it off- it's just the internet.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems pretty obviously a joke.

this is a guy from the same label I might be on Btw I almost blew my top at him but i decided to play it cool..he said i was being the dick but what he said had no purpose what so ever..and I have only met this guy once and he doesnt even know me..he claims to have truths about me which i dont get.i dont take threats easily..i think he would be making a joke of himself trying to tell people "hey dont listen to them because they made fun of a local band" I already have some status and Im known among people for my material..and thats what I use as a defense in my own mind against what he had to say..if it were truly bad music then nobody would listen which is true
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
Last edited by DiamondOfBlood at Sep 5, 2007,
this is a guy from the same label I might be on Btw

'Grats. I think if your post had actually been offensive or misconstrued as an insult or whatever you'd have much more than one hate-PM. Probably just some over-sensitive fanboy.

EDIT: Ah, it's someone you know? If he kicks up a fuss in real life I doubt anyone'll take him seriously.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
lol ya don't worry its pretty obvious you weren't bashing the other band.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
On the band i'm in's UG profile thing someone said we're failures and we suck
i usually just shrug it off and say different strokes for different folks

Ignore people. Half the time, even though its difficult, its best to ignore messages like that. There is a huge difference between criticising music constructively and just being an idiot.

You just have to figure out what opinions you feel will help your band and what one's need to be tossed away and ignored.
Look at all the ****ty comments posted on bands and musicians on YouTube! I mean...there's so much crap like "All he's playing is ****ty chords, I don't get what you're drooling over" or "He's not a touch on (insert name of original band)", some of it's jealousy, some of it's people who feel tough by posting crap over the internet but wouldn't say in real life and some of it's just people being jackasses.

I have all the time in the world for constructive criticism and I'll ask for it if I think it will improve what I'm doing, and I'll take into account the replies, but when someone just slags someone else off for the sake of it or to boost their own ego then I don't have the time of day for them.

So...basically I'd just ignore it to be honest, if the guys from the other band are cool about it that's all that matters.