Ok, so I posted a while back asking what sort of pick-up config I would put in a body with a swimming pool route and got a few replies, but now I've got the body (its alder) I want to get started on it.

Ok, I'm thinking a Dimarzio DP153 FRED: link in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck.

Firstly - are the GFS P-90s any good?

Secondly - is the DP153 as dynamic as dimarzio claim?

Thirdly - your thoughts on this combination and any other suggestions

Fourthly - how easy is it to wire an in and out of phase switch (ala a mustang) and does anybody have any samples of the difference this makes to the sound (I have never had the chance to try and mustang but I think the idea sounds good).

Currently I have a 96 Gibson LP Studio and the pickups in that have warmed nicely and give a smooth, hybrid vintage (not fully vintage) tone so I'm looking for something a bit different....and I don't play metal so I don't need uber-gain.

Thanks

EDIT:So, I've decided on the GFS pickup - any info on the dimarzio then?
Quote by Keef-is-king
Malmsteen would be prudish religious freak sex. No Hands, no looking down, all the technical bits and not very good for anyone involved.
Last edited by perpetualmotion at Sep 5, 2007,
Here's a diagram to wire a humbucker with phasing and coil split on the humbucker itself:

I assume thats what you were looking for. You would have to adjust the wire colors for the Dimarzio pickup. They have that diagram on the SD site as well.

The GFS P90's are supposed to sound pretty damn good. Thats just what I've heard, though, never tried them myself.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I belong to another forum and GFS pickups are a big hit with everyone on there. I've heard nothing but good things about the P90's.
Thanks all three of you, definitely going to go with the GFS P-90 then....anybody about the DP153?
Quote by Keef-is-king
Malmsteen would be prudish religious freak sex. No Hands, no looking down, all the technical bits and not very good for anyone involved.
GFS vintage output single coils (including p90s) are awesome pickups.
But their overwound/humbuckers kinda suck. (except little killers)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^thats what i heard, except their vintage ones don't sound like vintage.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i like the lil killers. they are in my strat! great ones
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Def going to go for the GFS now lol.

I take it I can't edit the title :S
Quote by Keef-is-king
Last edited by perpetualmotion at Sep 5, 2007,