Page 1 of 2
Okay, so we all know what the best solos are... how about the worst? What's the worst guitar solo you've ever heard?

I'd go with "SOS" by Good Charlotte. It's not, technically, a bad solo, but it's the dullest, most predictably cliché solo I've ever heard. It just sounds fake and emotionless. I laughed when I heard it, and I also died a little bit on the inside knowing there are people out there who actually enjoyed that song and, in their ignorance of what a real solo is like, believed the solo to be well done.

But still, it's Good Charlotte, and it's pretty much expected from them. Marilyn Manson also has some god-awful solos... (How about their cover of Highway of Hell?)
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I just can't stand the first bit of the solo from One by Metallica. That tapping bit just sets my teeth on edge. It reminds me of the Power Rangers theme tune....
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Dream Theater - in the name of god
its horrible
and we need bad solos by good bands
because Good Charlotte is all around ****ty
No Sleep til Brooklyn.

That solo makes me want to kill a small animal.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
don't know if it's the worst one but the Title of this movie did me choose this one!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_tfOf7Wqaw

C'mon guys, don't this just sound like ****?
Technically it might be alright but... why should you be a great technical player if what you play sucks?
Quote by l0rdpt
the worst solo is probably this one.. i know its improvising but...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dnWD-1o2Y&mode=related&search=

Im talking the intro solo where he is improvising!!its just bad

He needs to learn to palm mute. I could see what he was trying to do with the solo, he just didn't quite get there. Some parts were nice, others were unlistenable.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by deepestpurple
Smells like teen spirit.

He said we need good bands -.-

I'd go with.. The first solo in Detonation by Trivium. It's sloppy. and just sounds straight up Slayer.
Quote by metacarpi
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I just can't stand the first bit of the solo from One by Metallica. That tapping bit just sets my teeth on edge. It reminds me of the Power Rangers theme tune....

lol i never noticed that, but now that you mention it, yeah it does kinda sound like the power rangers theme tune
Quote by deepestpurple
Smells like teen spirit.

LOL!L!!!
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
live, fred durst AKA Shred durst.

search it on youtube....Hi-larious
wait...wasn't this thread done before or am i having weird deja vu?

Solo from American Idiot is easiest that i can think of and it's dumb. At least Teen Spirit goes out of just one rhythmic pattern at some points...not American Idiot solo...boooooo.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by chris_red
lol i never noticed that, but now that you mention it, yeah it does kinda sound like the power rangers theme tune

Uh, correct me me if I'm wrong but don't you mean the Power Rangers theme sounds like the One solo, I mean cause it was out before the Power Rangers and all . .
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I Wanna Be Sedated.

e-0-0-00--00-0-00--00-0-00--00-0-00--0
B-5-5-55--55-5-55--55-5-55--55-5-55--5
G------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------
i think this is really bad
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6w9BPc5dAGU&mode=related&search=
i dont know if its considered a solo, but its so unharmonized, it really doesnt sound right at all to me
only the beginning minute or so, not at the end
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
dunno if it qualifies as the worst but the solo in lyla by oasis always annoys me

it starts of so promisingly with the slides and stuff but just when you expect him to launch into some cool playing he wusses out with a few repeats of the 'ernie' lick and then returns to the song

i guess that shows that if you can't do a good solo then don't do one at all
Quote by Hoodoo Man
dunno if it qualifies as the worst but the solo in lyla by oasis always annoys me

it starts of so promisingly with the slides and stuff but just when you expect him to launch into some cool playing he wusses out with a few repeats of the 'ernie' lick and then returns to the song

i guess that shows that if you can't do a good solo then don't do one at all

Oasis are just multi-tracked like mad IMHO. I mean on record, it sounds like there'd need to be about 10 people playing really simple parts sometimes.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
wait...wasn't this thread done before or am i having weird deja vu?

Solo from American Idiot is easiest that i can think of and it's dumb. At least Teen Spirit goes out of just one rhythmic pattern at some points...not American Idiot solo...boooooo.

+1

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Quote by Hakanku
live, fred durst AKA Shred durst.

search it on youtube....Hi-larious

i lol'd so badly at that video!

but yeah, i'm probly gonna get flamed for this, but some of the solo on "californication" makes me want to shoot the speakers
Top lel.
Dani California by that chili pepper band. It's just too damn long without changing much.

Also, Radioheads Go To Sleep.
it probably gets this party started by Toby Mac
it is horrible

So much digital stuff
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Dave Mustaine's solo from when he played 'Cemetary Gates' with Dream Theater.

Anyone remember that? That was horrible
Quote by Ber Reb
Dave Mustaine's solo from when he played 'Cemetary Gates' with Dream Theater.

Anyone remember that? That was horrible

I'm with you. At least all these other crappy solos where in tune.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I'd go with "SOS" by Good Charlotte. It's not, technically, a bad solo, but it's the dullest, most predictably cliché solo I've ever heard. It just sounds fake and emotionless. I laughed when I heard it, and I also died a little bit on the inside knowing there are people out there who actually enjoyed that song and, in their ignorance of what a real solo is like, believed the solo to be well done.

Well i like both that song and solo, and i know what a real solo is. so thats just your opinion.

anyway i think the solo in 1985 from bowling for soup sums this thread up pretty well.
Quote by Garret.
Depends on how furiously I'm masturbating

Quote by metacarpi
I get paid on the 25th.

Is a bag full of pennies an acceptable method of payment?

The bag will of course, have SWAG written on it

Wynaut of the Pokemon club.
Well, obviously it's by some no-name person who has no idea what they are doing on guitar, but if we go by famous musicians, Neil Young's solo in "Cinnamon Girl" is almost just him playing the exact same note in the same key, dynamic, tempo and there is very little more to it.
Quote by filthandfury
I Wanna Be Sedated.

e-0-0-00--00-0-00--00-0-00--00-0-00--0
B-5-5-55--55-5-55--55-5-55--55-5-55--5
G------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------

I never thought of that as a solo, actually. If I were to, it would be a piss-poor effort, but generally the Ramones are musically quite poor.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Green Day solo's, they have no finess or effort to them. Plus, he recycles the same pattern so many freaking times.

An example. Go look at the solo for "Ha Ha You're dead" and the solo for "Wake me up when september ends"
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Teenagers by my chemical romance

That's not a bad solo. It's pretty bluesy, and not needlessly stretched out. (Yes, I like MCR, so shoot me )

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Some solos ie Green Day and Nirvana are MEANT to be simple, that doesn't make them bad just because they aren't shredding
Page 1 of 2