Hey.

I am about to buy an electro-acoustic bass guitar from a guy and i don't seem to find the right strings in stores. Can i put electric bass strings on it or will this bend the neck or cause any other problems?

Please help, i'll have to decide rather soon.

(I've read of strings for 'normal' electric guitar going fine on acoustic..)
I've used both acoustic, and normal strings on mine, and they've both been fine don't get any that are too bright though.

Is it an expensive acoustic? If so then it might be worth getting some acoustic specific ones, even if they are a little pricey.
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
I put ernie ball flatwounds on my acoustic bass, it sounds great, really smooth...sounds like an upright bass

When I bought mine it had electric strings on it...sounded like poo in my opinion.
My acoustic has the stock strings on it, and the spares I have are also acoustic's, I can't imagine electric strings sounding too good really.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
got it.. will try to find acoustics else bass strings that match those specifications as close as possible.

thanks for the help guys. if that bass isn't messed up it'll be a fun day tomorrow.
Last edited by Gadjo at Sep 5, 2007,
I don't know if this is any help, but putting other strings on an acoustic bass is like putting other strings on an acoustic guitar. Unlike the electric bass, there's almost no difference between an acoustic bass and an acoustic guitar in terms of sound, shape, feel, and playability (except the guitar is better at all of them).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, I was curious about this too because I wanted to try some flatwounds on my acoustic but couldn't find any that were acoustic flat wounds.
I had flats on my ghetto upright. I don't think they made the bass sound any worse.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..