I have my eyes set on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I can play blues with a nice clean tube tone but I was wondering if there are any things I should look out for if I'm buying a tube amp secondhand.

And yes, a good tip would be to check if it is a tube amp which I worked out myself because I'm so clever, BUT I'm not very experienced with tube amps and have to buy used cus I have NO money to buy new and need some help from you godly UGer's.

Thanks for any help
If you can try to find out how old the tubes are, you'll probably want to change them out anyway but its good to make sure. Also just play it before you buy it, just to make sure it sounds good and doesn't have an problems.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
depends where your buying from. if it's someone you know then just make sure it's working, test all of the knobs. one thing i would also advise is looking for a used fender blues deluxe if you like using a lot of gain for blues. i've never played the hot rod but they get some rap for having bad gain

if you're buying from ebay just make sure of this:

if they have a score of 0-100 you want 98% positive rating +

100-1000 - 95% +

1000+ you can maybe let that drop to 90%, but do your research, TRY to find something the seller hasn't covered about the amp and ask questions. if they can answer then they are more likely to be legit.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 5, 2007,
what tubes would you recommend replacing them with?

is it possible for a novice like me to do the job?

oh crap about the gain - I was hoping to use it for rougher overdriven blues too.

Would you recommend the Blues Deluxe over the Hot Rod?

btw thanx for the help guys, i appreciate it.
Last edited by walidb123 at Sep 5, 2007,
Well, before you settle on a hotrod deluxe, check out a Peavey classic 50. I was gonna settle on a hotrod deluxe, but I found a classic, and I changed my mind completely.
The worst thing you can do is settle on an amp when you haven't played any others.
Ask how old the amp is, how old the tubes are, has it been taken care of well, etc.
Also, make sure the place you're buying it from has a good warranty. 30 days is usually the standard, and that's pretty good time to see if it breaks or not.

You say you're using it for rough overdriven blues?
Classic 50 nails that, or maybe the delta blues, but the speaker is kinda big (15 inches).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ i would suggest the peavey classic or the the blues deluxe over the hot rod. i haven't tried the delta blues or ever heard it so i can't pass comment. the 15" speaker would be great if you love lots of bass in your playing, but it also comes in a 2 x 10 version.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Plus, the classic is really versatile if you wanna play some classic rock, country, or whatever.
Delta blues would be better if you're only playing blues though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I love the Delta Blues. It just sounds better than the Classic IMO. It's a gift from heaven if your guitar has single coils. Great versatility and great looks, if I could find one at a fair price over here I'd get one.

Thing is, I figure I might as well use borrowed and small amps for my work 'til I get into Uni - My dad has promised me £1k ($2k) to spend on an amp if I get into Uni
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i played a classic 30 and a delta blues side by side with the same strat. i liked the classic 30 just a little bit more, but both amzing little amps, wouldve been happywith either of them
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
The amps I'm looking at:

Hot Rod Deluxe: I don't know the age of it but the amp seems to be in mint condition

Blues Deluxe: Around 15 years old and was last serviced in 2000 and it's TWEED!

Peavey Classic 30: Over 10 years old serviced a year ago.

From what I've heard I'm leaning to the Blues Deluxe but it hasn't been serviced in a while so I'm unsure.
hasnt been serviced in a while? you said 2007. this is 2007. even if it was serviced on the 1st of january it should only need a tube swap. plus those older blues deluxe are awesome, my uncle has one
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i would def pick up the blues deluxe because tweed is sexy. and its a nice sounding amp, very warm.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
hasnt been serviced in a while? you said 2007. this is 2007. even if it was serviced on the 1st of january it should only need a tube swap. plus those older blues deluxe are awesome, my uncle has one

sorry about that. typo error. it was serviced in 2000.
If I was to get the Blues Deluxe, are there any differences between the new amps and the old ones around 15 years old?
well the newer ones are reissues (although the originals were reissues of even older amps) but in my opinion they sound much nicer, however i compared my uncles to one in a shop, he hasn't changed speaker but he's changed tubes, so it COULD be the tubes making it sound better.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Are you sure you need something like a blues deluxe? Will you be gigging?

A Blues Junior would let you get thicker, bluesier tones quicker, as it has less headroom. On the other hand, if you are gigging, then definitely go for the blues deluxe.
Quote by MrCarrot
I love the Delta Blues. It just sounds better than the Classic IMO. It's a gift from heaven if your guitar has single coils. Great versatility and great looks, if I could find one at a fair price over here I'd get one.

Thing is, I figure I might as well use borrowed and small amps for my work 'til I get into Uni - My dad has promised me £1k ($2k) to spend on an amp if I get into Uni

Vintage AC30s go for that on eBay
I'm going to be using the amp for small gigs and stuff and I would buy the Blues Junior amp but I can't find it for less than £300 for some reason when I can get the Blues Deluxe for around £350 which just seems to be way better value.
Of the three, I'd probably prefer the Blues Deluxe, too.

Plug in, turn all the knobs and make sure they all do what they're supposed to do without any scratchiness. Check the reverb. Crank it up if you can.

I understand falling for Fender, especially for cleans and blues, but if you want value you should keep in mind that you can get a brand new 30W Laney for less than you're looking to spend on these used amps. Fender's aren't the best deal in the UK.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Laneys rock also.
Only reason I like the classic better than the delta blues, is that I play a wide variety of music, and it covers it pretty well. The delta blues is more focused towards blues and cleans, but it does it better than the classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Are there any shops in London where I can test the Hot Rod, Blues Deluxe,
Peavey and Laney amps to decide which would best for me?

Now that I look at the Laney amp I'm even more confused as to which I should buy.

Oh god, what about Vox?
Quote by walidb123
Are there any shops in London where I can test the Hot Rod, Blues Deluxe,
Peavey and Laney amps to decide which would best for me?

Now that I look at the Laney amp I'm even more confused as to which I should buy.

Oh god, what about Vox?

Denmark Street!
Quote by Don_Humpador
Denmark Street!

Yeh, I guess it has to be but I went yesterday and I couldn't find a shop where I could try out the Blues Deluxe or the Blues Junior as no one had them in stock.

I also wanna use a distortion pedal to see why people say the Fender tube amps can't handle distortion well so I don't buy an amp I'm not happy with but I've been so often to research what to get the shopkeepers look at me and think I just test out the equipment to show off.

bloody dog turds...