Worth it for a rock to metal project?
I have a 100W Marshall Dual Lead.
I need something with a bit more gain, but is still extremely reliable.
I would need to get one ordered just to play it so thats why I'm asking.
Any input?
amp is great
I was gona get it...low on budget
but played it at guitar center
just ugh
couldent walk away from it!!!!!
theres a 6505 thread about this amp....search it
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.
Its pretty much the best non-handmade metal head out there that's widely available.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
if you can find one it would probably be cheaper. but they aren't the same amp really. so whatever floats your boat!
Quote by cheames
if you can find one it would probably be cheaper. but they aren't the same amp really. so whatever floats your boat!

what are the differences?
because i hear a lot of people saying "Yeah its just the same amp" :S
Top lel.
well im not entirely sure. but my experience of 6505s is that their as chunky as ****, but can be kinda muddy cos they're designed with down-tuning in mind. i dont have much experience of 5150s myself, but it is generally accepted that 5150s are just better..

I'm not a fan of the 6505, but i've heard great things from/about the 5150, and they are by no means the same amp.
Quote by cheames
well im not entirely sure. but my experience of 6505s is that their as chunky as ****, but can be kinda muddy cos they're designed with down-tuning in mind. i dont have much experience of 5150s myself, but it is generally accepted that 5150s are just better..

I'm not a fan of the 6505, but i've heard great things from/about the 5150, and they are by no means the same amp.

your stupid....
how about you go find the original pevey 6505 thread.
The 6505 and the 5150 are the SAME AMP!
EVH took the name of 5150 and peavey wanted to keep making the amp so they made up a new name for it. It has the same circuits.

But the combo and the actuall head...well yea no **** there gona sound diff.
Quote by punk n' metal

you have obviously never heard the two amps. if the circuits are the same then there must be a huge void in quality of the valves, and build quiality.

for two amps that are "the same", they sure do sound one helluvah different.
Quote by omarrodrigez
Its pretty much the best non-handmade metal head out there that's widely available.

yeah widely available is the key, it took me lik 28 days to get an engl
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by cheames
you have obviously never heard the two amps. if the circuits are the same then there must be a huge void in quality of the valves, and build quiality.

for two amps that are "the same", they sure do sound one helluvah different.

Are you sure you played a 5150 and 6505 and not a 5150 II or 6505+?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Are you sure you played a 5150 and 6505 and not a 5150 II or 6505+?

yea could be that
or you played one that had diff tubes at a used store and the cabinets also matter too.
Also you could of been on a diff channel and had different setting and played a different guitar. Only way to test two amps is side by side.
Quote by punk n' metal

5150 = 6505 (head or combo)
5150II = 6505+

Same amps, same design, same sound, minor cosmetic differences. That's all there is to it.

Yes, the 6505+ can get you anything from rock to metal and back without a problem. It's an excellent amp all around. It's only weak point is the lack of a clean channel. The rhythm channel doubles as the "clean' (and I use the term clean loosely) channel, but is also the channel that sounds best for crunchy rhythm. The lead channel is searing and much better suited for lead work than rhythm. So if cleans aren't that important to you, then get this amp.

I would personally get a used 5150 head on ebay or something instead. If you need a clean tone, than you could get an A/B box and use the Marshall for cleans and the Peavey for distortion.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
do take note that even though 6505, 6505+ and 6505 combo are pretty much the same amp, they kinda have a different voicing to it, to my ears and a few others anyway.

the most distinct differences is when you play cleans, a stock 6505 sounds somewhat sterile-ish, the 6505+ slightly warmer, and the combo version i would say on par with the + version, also helps that the combo has a slight reverb to it.

But once you bias the 6505 warmer, i'd guess it'll be on par with the combo.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers