Let's talk about this awesome prog band. Only have the first three albums downloaded for now, but I'll get the rest eventually. But my favorite song so far is Higher Than the Sky; so catchy.

Discuss.
Just look at the last.fm link in my sig to see what I think of them, haha.

Amazing band, Not a lot of Metallers I know seem to like them though. All their albums are great, White Darkness is one of my favourites for this year.

I think my favourite album is a toss-up between The Closing Chronicles and Alive Again.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Amazing band, Not a lot of Metallers I know seem to like them though.

Maybe because it's not "brutal" enough for them

Whatever. I like my metal with melodic and progressive elements.
Amazing band! I'm actually listening to 'To My Inspiration' atm from the new phenomenal White Darkness album!!
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

^Thats an awesome track.

'One Way Ticket' and 'Belief' are my top picks from White Darkness.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Hideaway is my favourite track off the White Darkness but every single song are awesome!
That album is definitely a gem

the production is amazing, the guitars are heavier than most 'brutal' bands, I'd really like to know what amps they used for the album!

^From his forum...

Quote by Dan Swanö
I am only using the 5150 as a power amp. My crunch comes from the almight analog/digital BOSS GT5. I have my 5 power presets that takes me thru any NG gig. I used it for the Wacken gig also but then with a HM2 in the GT5 loop. From what I heard you can modify the 5150 to shut it up a bit. Surf the net and I am sure you will find a solution...
LAMMERGEIER
lol bump in the face.

I just picked up White Darkness is it? Fell in love with it. Great stuff.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
^You shall be converted to the way of Swano. Haha.

Tis a great album though, you should check out 'Nightfall Overture' too, its a compilation of tracks from older albums re-recorded.
LAMMERGEIER
I don't know where to turn...

ON THE FIELLLLDS OFF LIFEEE

I think I may already be converted.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Nightingale are indeed very addictive

Epic bump for an epic band.

I finally got White Darkness after only hearing Alive Again previously, and I have to say these guys are great. My love for Mr. Swano seems to be only increasing these days.

Needless to say, this band is criminally underrated.
Aye, my love for Nightingale has gone nowhere

and "criminally underrated", you got that right

I only have White Darkness, but it's a great album.

Where do I go from here?
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I can't help but think that this band would have so much more commercial success if they were with a better label. They have the appeal and the melodies.

But alas, tis not so. The Closing Chronicles is definitely my favourite by them. Not one moment of filler on that record. Flawless.

EDIT: ^ I'd work my way backwards through the discography. But you can't go wrong, every album is great in it's own way. Nightfall Overture would be a good idea, it's 2 tracks off each of the first 4 albums re-recorded, plus a recording of EoS's Losing Myself and a new song.
LAMMERGEIER
Last edited by Dyer's Eve at Jun 23, 2008,
Apparently the albums follow a conceptual storyline, but I have Alive Again and it's great. Although, I'm sure Kepulix or Dyer's Eve could tell you better than I.
Cheers lads.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I is my favourite album by them, but you really can't go wrong with any of them

Quote by Broadsword
Apparently the albums follow a conceptual storyline, but I have Alive Again and it's great.

They indeed do. 'The Breathing Shadow' Trilogy (That consists of 4 parts, haha). If you listen to them in the order 'I', 'The Breathing Shadow', 'The Closing Chronicles' and 'Alive Again'. They make up the entire story. The concept ends on the first track on 'Invisible' (Still Alive).

'I' is that third album but it is made up of songs/riffs written before Dan started Nightingale, it's also Dag's first major contribution to Nightingale if i'm correct in thinking. So they wrote that as Part One of the story.

It's is a great experience listening to them and reading the lyrics. Now whenever I listen to them I can always picture the scenarios in my head. It took a couple of reads to pick up on the story but it's a good one, albeit often rather bizarre.

Yeah, not too much fanboy display happening here.
LAMMERGEIER
Last edited by Dyer's Eve at Jun 23, 2008,
Now I definitely have to get all of them (like I truly needed a reason ). One of the reasons I enjoy the Crimsons so much is because of the story lines and how well they fit with the music. From what I picked up off of Alive Again, it sounds pretty cool and fits in a similar manner.
Meh, pretty good but I seem to have the opposite opinion of certain people;

They say anything touched by Dan is gold, whereas I think most things touched by Dan are meh or pretty decent
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Sounds interesting, I'll have to check them out later.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by jetfuel495
Shameless bump. I started listening to these guys around the same time as Edge of Sanity (thank you, metal forum). I wiki'd EOS and found NG, and man, awesome stuff. I'm working on a few tabs for this band.

Ooohhh, Hideaway

Do it, do it, do it!

I have all Nightingale on CD, har har.

I've tried tabbing some of their riffs, started tabbing Nightfall Overture, Return to Dreamland, Scarred for Life, Game Over, Shadowman, Deep Inside of Nowhere, Atlantis Rising etc. But I always get stuck...
LAMMERGEIER
Quote by jetfuel495
Unfortunately, I don't have the CD that it's on :/

Get White Darkness. Now.

Seriously one of the albums I've listened to most in my life and it's less than 2 years old

Oh man, Dyer's, if you've got the leads for Shadowman tabbed, by all means post them and help a brother out!
^I really like it, like the rest of their stuff. One Way Ticket is an amazing song.

But i'd have to say The Breathing Shadow is my top pick these days. Ther atmosphere running through it is just... beautiful, yet slightly dark.
LAMMERGEIER
I must say that the only Nightingale albums I own are White Darkness, I and Invisible hahha

Never got to trying to find the rest of them

EDIT:
Quote by jetfuel495
It's so hard to find

Really? I see it in the CD stores around here every now and then
Actually it's often the only Nightingale album that the store has in stock

Last edited by Kepulix at Apr 12, 2009,
Quote by Kepulix
I must say that the only Nightingale albums I own are White Darkness, I and Invisible hahha

Never got to trying to find the rest of them

EDIT:

Really? I see it in the CD stores around here every now and then
Actually it's often the only Nightingale album that the store has in stock

Hm, I'll have to check again at other stores...

I is good, their Greatest Hits album was awesome. Those are the only two CDs I have at the moment.
Ive been listening to some samples on iTunes from all their albums and they seem to have caught my interest. Which album should I begin with?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
Quote by GBcommander
Ive been listening to some samples on iTunes from all their albums and they seem to have caught my interest. Which is recommended for a newcomer to Nightingale, but not necessarily Prog?

I've heard a lot of good things about their latest album, White Darkness, but I haven't gotten it yet. Their Greatest Hits album called Nightfall Overture is really good as well.
Nightfall Overture is a good starter, A retrospective of their back catalogue. But they're re-recordings, so they aren't the songs in their original form.

I personally worked my way backwards chronologically. I started with Invisible, loved it, and slowly got into the others, since they're one of those bands who've slowly evolved their sound, from gothic rock to straight up hard rock.

Also, if you dig concepts, Check out the first 4 albums. They all link together in one massive storyline, check my earlier post for more on it.

And Broadsword, i'll try and knock up all my bits of tab into one or something.
LAMMERGEIER
Thanks dudes.
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
I've been back on them a lot lately too. The 'I' album more than anything for some reason.

My favourite is probably The Breathing Shadow though. The atmosphere and production it seems so unique. I just wish he didn't use programmed drums.
LAMMERGEIER
"I" was precisely the album I was listening to when I typed that post.

Still In The Dark is still one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Literally less than 15 minutes after I started listening to them, I got a message on lastfm from someone telling me that Nightingale would be playing at OhioProg 2012 in Canton, Ohio.

I have an uncle in Canton I can crash with.

I have to go to this.