I play in a stoner rock band, (With a touch of 80's rock) so I need quite a crunchy tone but not too bright. I'm not exactly looking to blend into the background, we do have bass solos and a touch of pop n' slap, but crunch is the key thing here.
Mah budget is around £350-£600, can't really go much higher than that, and I basically know nothing of mid-range basses so I'm looking to leech off you guys' knowledge. It'll be going through a Hartke HA3500/410 TP, too. If that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Save up another £75 and you can get yourself an MIA Fender Precision or Jazz bass which I think is the way to go, which one you prefer is up to you, I personally think a Precision would be good for you.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Well, I have an Ibanez SR505, and it's one of the most versatile basses I've ever tried, I can honestly say it would handle ANY genre pretty well. It has Bartolini MK1 pickups, and a Bartolini 3-band EQ, and I'm guessing the versatility comes from there, so look around for basses with those.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by indie-bassist
Save up another £75 and you can get yourself an MIA Fender Precision or Jazz bass which I think is the way to go, which one you prefer is up to you, I personally think a Precision would be good for you.

I've not seen a USA Fender go for less than £800-ish anywhere but the internet... and if I'm buying a nearly £700 guitar, I'd be loathe to order one blind.

Does sound like a P would suit him well though.

Just my .2c
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
In GAK both the Precision and Jazz go for £675.

I tend to try stuff out instore and order online if I can save a lot of money, if not I'll buy it from my local shop but it's usually a little overpriced.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
In GAK both the Precision and Jazz go for £675.

I tend to try stuff out instore and order online if I can save a lot of money, if not I'll buy it from my local shop but it's usually a little overpriced.

Well, it's all overpriced. Shelf goods are just moreso... and Soundcontrol even more than that - I was in there the other day and they had a basic USA Jazz (S-1) at £1000ish

I just prefer to know exactly what I'm getting before I fork money over. GAK seems to have a reputation around my end for shipping stuff absolutely terribly set up, too. I'd probably buy anything but an actual guitar online... but guitars are just too temperamental for me to risk it. To each their own, though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Well, it's all overpriced. Shelf goods are just moreso... and Soundcontrol even more than that - I was in there the other day and they had a basic USA Jazz (S-1) at £1000ish

I just prefer to know exactly what I'm getting before I fork money over. GAK seems to have a reputation around my end for shipping stuff absolutely terribly set up, too. I'd probably buy anything but an actual guitar online... but guitars are just too temperamental for me to risk it. To each their own, though.

My SR505 arrived perfectly set up haha. I guess I was lucky
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
My friend ordered a Warwick Corvette and it came set up with the neck relief of an English longbow. You were lucky.
Quote by Caustic

haha yes i did order a bass from SC once. Saved £100 but it came with a knob missing. nowadays tho for me if it's from the internet and it's not used, it's from germany, america or japan.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I've always overlooked Ibanez basses in the past, never really jumped out at me. I do like the look of the SR505, and it's a 5-string so that's kind of a bonus, I prefer playing those.

I've played a P-bass before, I like the tone but they don't feel comfortable to me. They're a bit too light and the pickups aren't usually in a position to suit my playing, they get in the way a bit because I often play perilously close to the bridge. I'm a huge retard, you see. Don't really love the look of them either. But thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely look into these.

EDIT: wait, does the 505 have active electronics? That'd be preferable too.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Last edited by rorythefaggot at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by rorythefaggot
I've always overlooked Ibanez basses in the past, never really jumped out at me. I do like the look of the SR505, and it's a 5-string so that's kind of a bonus, I prefer playing those.

I've played a P-bass before, I like the tone but they don't feel comfortable to me. They're a bit too light and the pickups aren't usually in a position to suit my playing, they get in the way a bit because I often play perilously close to the bridge. I'm a huge retard, you see. Don't really love the look of them either. But thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely look into these.

How does the pickup get in the way if you play over the bridge, the pickup is right by the neck? And almost all Ibanez's I've played have been lighter than my Precision. Other than that, fair enough.
Quote by Bumper

You're probably right, I was piecing most of that together from a hazy memory. I like my basses pretty bulky, I seem to remember the P-bass felt a bit light. As for the pickups, again you're probably right, but I do remember them getting in the way. You know what, I'm actually beginning to have some doubts I've ever played one at all.

You know what, actually, I'll go into my local place after college tomorrow and assess just how braindead I'm being here. Keep ya updated.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by rorythefaggot
You're probably right, I was piecing most of that together from a hazy memory. I like my basses pretty bulky, I seem to remember the P-bass felt a bit light. As for the pickups, again you're probably right, but I do remember them getting in the way. You know what, I'm actually beginning to have some doubts I've ever played one at all.

You know what, actually, I'll go into my local place after college tomorrow and assess just how braindead I'm being here. Keep ya updated.

The P-bass is renowned for being bulky! It's the word that springs to mind when almost anyone that isn't a P-bass player is asked to describe why they don't like them... I'm beginning to doubt you've played one too, heh.

No accounting for taste, though.
Quote by rorythefaggot

Yeah, It's active, I love how quickly your tone changes when you turn one of the knobs haha.

There's a four string version too, if you'd prefer that.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
To me the ultimate stoner rock bass is the P.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
To me the ultimate stoner rock bass is the P.

Agreed. American P FTW. Black body, black pickguard, maple fretboard.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Another vote for the P-Bass from me.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
key to crunch is mids and treble. oddly flat or low bass, it tends to muddy up teh crunchy tone.

and i agree the p-bass will do the best job. jazz basses are too thin in sound and humbuckers (generally) are too fat in sound.
Just another point, the eyehategod bassist uses a single humbucker five string sterling and IMO, it doesn't fit at all.
Whereas the Orange Goblin bassist uses a P and it fits perfectly IMO.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2