Hey,

For the last few years I've been focussing primarily on my elecrtic guitar and neglecting my acoustics. My dad noticed this so I'm wanting to improve my acoustic skills and widen my repertoire of acoustic songs.

I don't listen to much acoustic work, so I'm not very well informed in this area, so what I'm asking you guys to do is to find me some tricky songs to work through to help me progess.

I like to think I'm ok at finger picking, just not gotten used to using my pinky that much yet (probably because I've never come across a song where I needed to). So songs with fingerpicking would be helpful, but I'd also like to use a plectrum.

To give you an idea of where I am in terms of skill I'll list some songs that I can play on the electric guitar to give you a rough idea:

Cliffs Of Dover - Eric Johnson
I'm Alright - Neil Zaza
Manhattan - Eric Johnson
Trademark - Eric Johnson
Big Sur Moon - Buckethead
Cryin' - Joe Satriani

Hope that helps.

I'm not bothered about the style of songs, just as long as it is relatively easy to get my hands on the tablature.

Thanks very much in advance.

-AS-
Ibanez RG2570e Prestige
Fender® American Series Strat
Marshall AVT-50
BOSS GT8
Crafter T-035
Squire Strat
Admira Malaga Classical Guitar
Gould GS200CB
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dimebag Crybaby

Proud member of the Scots of UG Society..
tears in the rain - joe satriani
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
^ yeah that is a good one, also try cavatina if your looking for something a little trickier
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
i just discovered this artist, hes from ireland also

fionn regan - be good or be gone,

im learning that song now
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Quote by markazord
^ yeah that is a good one, also try cavatina if your looking for something a little trickier

Sorry I'm not familiar with this song/musician, can you tell me if cavatina is a musician or a song and if it is a song, by whom.

-AS-
Ibanez RG2570e Prestige
Marshall AVT-50
BOSS GT8
Crafter T-035
Squire Strat
Gould GS200CB
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dimebag Crybaby

^Cavatina is a song. Most famously known as the theme from the deer hunter. I think it was written by Stanley Myers but im not 100% sure, someone please correct me if im wrong on that.
Great, thanks guys!

Any more I should take a look at ?

-AS-
Ibanez RG2570e Prestige
Marshall AVT-50
BOSS GT8
Crafter T-035
Squire Strat
Gould GS200CB
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dimebag Crybaby

i know i am repeating myself a lot but "Asturias" thats the song name and there is good tab on this site for it, just recently found this song and it's cool, also Cavatina (again good tab on this site), tricky but worth it.
john butler-ocean
michael chapdelaine's solo acoustic come together
justin king-phundified
andy mckee-drifting

kinda difficult stuff but that's my main repertoire of "tricky" acoustic songs
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
patience by guns n roses
I learned it like a week a go and some parts are sort of tricky
The Stairway to Heaven intro has finger picking but its not really hard
The Crazy on You intro by Heart has finger picking and its pretty hard
Over the Hills and Far Away is a pretty good song but idk if it will be hard for you
Cavatina is a good one actually, it's a nice introduction to playing two parts at the same time. It is essentially just playing arpeggios with a melody over them, so you can focus on bringing out the melody. It was/is on one board or another's grade 8 syllabus, and it is also pretty well loved.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by justsixteen
eric johnson - song for george
steve vai - sisters

+1 on both of these although 'Song for George' does mean de-tuning both E strings to D. Also John Butler is amazing and a great source for acoustic material but he uses open tunings too so a little bit of messing around required. I know I harp on about him all the time but Tommy Emmanuel is incredible, check out his 'Only' album.