Page 1 of 3
Beginner Song Program 2.0

Hey all,
Some of you might know for the last few days ive been trying to re-write the beginners song program (from ASP to PHP). I ran into some problems which meant I had to delay it a little bit, but it should be all up and running now.

Ive made some changes to the layout and styles. It should look a little bit more organised now.

Updates:
For Users:
  • Improved front page
  • Faster AJAX searching
  • Ajax Detection
  • More user options for songs
  • A static list (non-ajax)

For Trusted Users:
  • Improved tools
  • Improved "update information" section
  • Ability to change artist name

The Program URL:
Version 1.0

Version 2.0

Bugs / Updates:
Data loss
The old program used to be run on a windows server using an access database (yes, crappy i know). I've now updated to a linux server and I am now using a dedicated MySQL server to run my database on.

However, I was unable to transfer the song information from the access database to the MySQL database so we will have to build up the list again. Ive saved the old list and am in the progress of copying it to the new database, except this might take a while (sorry)

Trusted Users Section
I unfortunatly deleted some of the modules in the trusted users section So some of the tools will not be available. However the "update song information", "View suggested songs", "Edit Songs" and "remove hard songs" functions are now available.

For advanced members, the "user management" tool is now available, however the "view actions" tool isnt.

Easy Parts Links
Just fixed the links under the search bar. They should work now.
Been away, am back
Ah great =] the view actions one needed a clean anyway and I dont think I could post messages on the board, I tryed but they didn't show up. Ill have a look at this later.

Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Love the new look! Very sweet and formal. Only complaint from my end is all the drop boxes, but I dont really mind.
Nice update
is it just me or do the "electric - bass - all of it is easy-" etc buttons at the top of the song list not work?
Quote by _Mayday_
Somehow; I thought it would be a better idea to show the bus driver my dick instead of my bus pass.
Ive fixed the links. They should work now.
However, due to the way the program works, people have to select what each song is easy for, but its not been updated yet, have have a couple of other things to do. So when i get some free time ill try update them.
Been away, am back

looks great!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
When is V2 going to be finished? Looks awesome, can't wait for it to be done... the tabs don't work and the list doesn't seem complete.
The tabs should be working now, but there is a little problem with the submitting form. I dunno whats wrong with it, but at the moment, some suggestions song name isnt showing so we cant exactly accept them, because its just showing a band name at the moment. Ill get to work on it asap but im a little busy with other stuff so ill try get it completed fixed by fridayish.

Like i said, the tabs should be working, but users have to suggest whats easy about the song themselves else they wont show up with anything.

If anyone wants access to do that, just post in here.
Been away, am back
added you fusius
Thanks.

Also, ive fixed a few bugs. Should be able to accept songs more faster now.
Also added a program which only allows you to submit songs if you enter both the artist and song name.
Been away, am back
I like this program more than the one before. Btw, sorry I haven't been on lately. A-Level courses don't start themselves :/. But ill be on more now.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I like this program more than the one before. Btw, sorry I haven't been on lately. A-Level courses don't start themselves :/. But ill be on more now.

Ive just started my A levels as well, there a right bitch
Quote by cakemonster91

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

dont worry, you dont have to do it, its just there if you want to
Been away, am back
Very nice. My only complain is the drop boxes. They aren't very pretty, and it's kinda confusing which song goes to which drop box, etc.
--------------------

I LOVE DRAGONBALL Z
I really appreciate your hard work, but can you please upload the old version back? The new version is a bit messy in honest opinion and i really would like to have the old version back which did well enough, i belive..
CamPie, Ill add an option to use the links instead of the drop down boxes when i have time.

Agent-X, grey = song is a good beginner song, green = the was was voted hard by one person, orange means the song was voted hard by 2 people and red means 3 people voted for it too hard and that its up for review

mewosh, Unfortunatly, the older version was on a windows server which i recently got rid of and upgraded to a linux server so i had to completely re-write the code which took a couple of weeks, therefore Its not really possible to change it back.

If you want though, if you tell me what you would like to see implimented i can try work on it soon.
Been away, am back
servers down
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Yea, i know I was working on some other stuff and i did something

Ive phoned up the company and their working on it from there end.
I have no idea when it'll work again. Lets hope soon.
Been away, am back
I think we should incrase the amout of votes it takes to get a song up for review, say 3 for the first level, 5 for the second and 7 for the third? whats everyone think? Maybe not those numbers exactly but the amount seems a bit low...
Quote by cakemonster91

Peanut, done it.
Ive reset it so now:

grey: 0 - 2 votes.
green: 3 - 5 votes.
orange: 6-8 votes.
Red: 9+ votes.

That better?
Been away, am back
I don't understand what this program does, and what it is used for. Can somebody enlighten me?
Guitars:
-Marquez MD-200 Cutaway Steel String Acoustic
-Some cheap electric guitar
^ It provides a list of easy beginner songs.

At the moment though, it looks like theres an error
Been away, am back
It no work no more.....
It worked yesterday.
--------------------

I LOVE DRAGONBALL Z
Logz, do you need any more volunteers? I noticed there's a lack of bass songs compared to guitar and I know a handful of easy bass songs.
Quote by Wratheh
Logz, do you need any more volunteers? I noticed there's a lack of bass songs compared to guitar and I know a handful of easy bass songs.

Sure. Just give me a PM if you want to and ill give you an ID on it
Been away, am back
logz on an iron maiden song on the list it says dear of the dark instead of fear of the dark just a small thing I noticed
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
hi al im a beginer looking for some tips please my mate was teaching me but we kinda stoped cos of my working hours so any help what so ever would be very much appreated
Quote by tom_1106
hi al im a beginer looking for some tips please my mate was teaching me but we kinda stoped cos of my working hours so any help what so ever would be very much appreated

Bit vague, but you've come to the right place anyway. What do you need help with?
Guys, I know there's a thin line between beginner and intermediate, but please...do you honestly think a beginner could play YYZ - Rush?
I'm really stoked about the program and it seems like an easy way to browse songs and give them a try BUT...

...When I searched by "acoustic only", only 2 SONGS came up! Are there really only two songs that have been suggested as easy for beginners for acoustic? Or maybe this is a glitch? Or maybe I am dumb and did something wrong...it's ENTIRELY possible
They took one look at me and said "She's slightly off-center but delightfully mischievous".

There's room for one more...
^ unfortunatly, the program does need people to constantly update it, I would happily do it, however, I got alot of stuff happening and the program is at the bottom of my priorities
Been away, am back
Page 1 of 3