Page 1 of 2
Well, basically this is my grand dilemma. First off, I love to write. Creative writing, informative writing, I just like to let my vocab flow. Secondly, I love music. Music is my life...past girls, parents, direction in life, etc...all that is insignificant compared to my love of music.

Here's the thing...

I've been debating whether I should go to a liberal arts college (Savannah College for Art and Design is the first school i'm looking at for this) and taking up a double major for contemporary writing and sound design, or going to a fancy law school and studying law as a major and literature as a minor.

Anybody experienced with this that could please help me out?

Thanks very much in advance.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
LAW!!

Go for it!

EDIT: I'll post something more inspiring here but I really have to go right about now.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

you never said anything about how much you love law, which leads me to believe you want to do it for the money. you should do whatever makes you happiest. money should be an afterthought.
Quote by schecter_guy
you never said anything about how much you love law, which leads me to believe you want to do it for the money. you should do whatever makes you happiest. money should be an afterthought.

In terms of money and happiness, i'd say it's a ratio of 60:50. If you have any questions about law, feel free to PM me, Cagnius or Dirk_Gently.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Well if you love writing then take the first option, seems like an easy decision.
Quote by schecter_guy

See that's the way i've always thought, but apparently all of my humanities and science teachers think I should go law :/

it's a case of skill vs. love of craft
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
See that's the way i've always thought, but apparently all of my humanities and science teachers think I should go law :/

it's a case of skill vs. love of craft

Most people have an incorrect perception of what studying law entails.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius

I've seen the devils advocate and the firm, I think I know what studying law is about
Depends what you want to do in life. As much as I love literature, if you're not going to pursue a career in it, take it as your minor.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Don't do law if you don't love it. All that schooling and money down the drain. You'll end up an alcoholic or kill yourself at 30. You seem to like music alot, so go with that.
Quote by Harmonius

Well they're college graduates, all have Masters degrees etc...I'd hope they know what they're talking about...I mean...I don't wanna fuck up my life here...
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
.I don't wanna fuck up my life here...

Aww why not? its a lonely club
If you want to go to school and spend a lot of time and money and not have a way to earn anything when you're done, do literature and music. Law would be worth the effort if you're able to do that
My Stuff:
Schecter S-1 Elite with EMG 81 & 85
Dean Hardtail Select
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss DS-1

A child's rhyme stuck in my head says life is but a dream
Quote by I_Forgot_My_Pen
If you want to go to school and spend a lot of time and money and not have a way to earn anything when you're done, do literature and music.

I think thats a terrible way to think.
^I somewhat disagree...I can make a fairly OK living writing and producing small scale. Maybe even large scale.

Quote by fronkpies
Aww why not? its a lonely club

I think i've messed it up pretty badly up till this point but before I take my trips through the corners of the world to find myself, I better have some cash behind my ass, if you get what I mean...
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Do what you like the most. It's not pleasant having to go to a job you dislike everyday.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
How about something that's actually useful to someone?

Haha, I crack me up.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Ultimately, its not about what we tell you to do. You should pursue what you want to do. Don't do law if your heart isn't in it and vice versa. You have to love what you do as you'll be doing it for the rest of your life.

However, remember to balance out interests with reality. For all you may love literature slightly more than, say, law, it is apparent that one will pay the bills better than the other. On the other hand, you don't want to be stuck in a profession which you hate for your whole life.

I hope you make the right choice.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by cagnius
Ultimately, its not about what we tell you to do. You should pursue what you want to do. Don't do law if your heart isn't in it and vice versa. You have to love what you do as you'll be doing it for the rest of your life.

However, remember to balance out interests with reality. For all you may love literature slightly more than, say, law, it is apparent that one will pay the bills better than the other. On the other hand, you don't want to be stuck in a profession which you hate for your whole life.

I hope you make the right choice.

Oh, i'm sorry I didn't say this before...I don't hate law at all. I think it's really interesting, and a great career choice, but I know that i'll always love the free expression of art more than law.

I dunno...thanks for the responses so far, but i'm still super-confused
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Oh, i'm sorry I didn't say this before...I don't hate law at all. I think it's really interesting, and a great career choice, but I know that i'll always love the free expression of art more than law.

I dunno...thanks for the responses so far, but i'm still super-confused

I know for one that I'll always love playing football and guitar over doing law stuff, but the reality is that the others won't pay my bills, nor do I have a career in them.

Doing law, however, allows me to flex my brain and challenge myself in the process of gaining an education and the ability to enter a profession.

I can't make the decision for you - and I don't want to. You really have to go and really look into what both courses offer etc and see where your heart lies.

Seriously, all the best.
Of course not, I understand. I'm going to have a chat about it with my counselor in the morning, see what universities he can recommend for me and what they offer. I'll figure it out thanks
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Another bit of advice is to not fall into that "as long as I love doing it I dont care about the money" kind of attitude, because as cag said, reality is pretty harsh, but if your a good enough writer then making a living out of it wont be incredibly hard.
I think i'm good, just haven't really reached any peaks yet. Otherwise I wouldn't want to go to a school to learn to write
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
I ll put it this way.

I used to love chemistry. Im still a chemistry student, but I am starting to hate the subject now. My love of chemistry before university was great and everyone in my year group was like "Yep, hes gonna do chemistry." I decided at 15 that I wanted to do chemistry at university... And you know what... I hate it. I hate it so much that I messed up my life this year. I messed up because I stopped studying for my degree and I started cramming music theory to get on the music theory course.

I really want to do music but I failed to get on the course cause I barely passed the exam.

In short, all I want to say is make the right decision dude. You really need to do a lot of soul searching and you need to want to do what you want to do. I write as well and I love literature but I knew I didnt want to pursue that line because I loved music and chemistry more.

Choose wisely dude, or you ll end up like me, hating the course you are on and wanting to do another one. (Right now Im repeating my first year degree in chemistry because I messed up badly. I made myself ill pursuing a stupid goal).
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Do law as a matter of practicality and have the literature as a minor to keep your creative fires alive. When all is said and done you will have the option of deciding which avenue has the potential to be the most satisfying personally and professionally.

And do not forget; there are so many lawyers out there no there is no guarantee that entering that profession will definately lead to a lucrative career. Yes, lawyer fees are rediculiously and can make people very wealthy but you have to beat out the competition to get the clients. The only major flaw of law, from what I gather, is that it can be somewhat mind numbing due the need to repeatedly deal with the same legal statues and issues. But good lawyers can be creative in using various legal statutues and seeing various crimes and criminals in ways that might not be apparent to others who cannot see outside the box.You also run the risk of becoming jaded and coldhearted at other peoples plights; that is one thing that scared me away from law school, a decision that I regret now by the way.

With literature, you have a number of options available. One obvious option is to be a writer / published artist. You could also work in journalism on a newspaper or as a staff writer for a magazine an online publication. There is also the option of writing for a corporation , doing company newletters-annual reports-media relations material-techical writing, during the day to pay the bills and work on your creative material in your spare time until you make it. Working for a corporation will also allow you to keep writing; any writing you do will allow you to fine tune your skills.
Well, this is what I decided:

I'm going to be going into pre-law as a major, and taking journalism as a minor, and after the first 2 years, if I don't end up liking law, i'm going to switch to majoring in journalism.

This way, I can have the experience I need for both going into law or falling back onto journalism
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Good call, sir.

I'm glad you got it all firgured out.

There are enough liars in the world. Make a difference and write
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
Here's how I see it ...

Well, basically this is my grand dilemma. First off, I love to write.Creative writing, informative writing, I just like to let my vocab flow. Secondly, I love music. Music is my life...past girls, parents, direction in life, etc...all that is insignificant compared to my love of music.

I've been debating whether I should go to a liberal arts college (Savannah College for Art and Design is the first school i'm looking at for this) and taking up a double major for contemporary writing and sound design, or going to a fancy law school and studying law as a major and literature as a minor.

I'd say go for law, because it's obviously your true love in life.

Oh, and by the way - helloooo

EDIT: Ah, I see my post is redundant. Never mind, it was format-tastic nevertheless.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Last edited by mud at Sep 6, 2007,
Pre-law as a major is a waste. Are you American? If you are, I'd be wary about taking advice from those lowly UKers and their "legal advice."
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Pre-law as a major is a waste. Are you American? If you are, I'd be wary about taking advice from those lowly UKers and their "legal advice."

Hey, I've proffered no legal advice whatsoever... .

I even encouraged him to pursue his life in writing.

Also, Dirk, that is another query of mine - how does the US system of qualification work?

I'm keeping all my options open and may wish to move to either the US, France or Australia to work in the future.
I'm not sure how it'll work with a law degree from England, but at the minimum you'll have to take the Bar Exam in whatever state you want to live, along with the multi-state Bar exam (they're offered on 2 consecutive days). If you decide on a particular state, you should contact the Board of Bar Overseers or whoever governs the admission process to see what you might need. If you've been practicing as a solicitor or barrister for a while, they might be more lenient as far as professional qualifications.
Hi, I'm Peter
I was told by my counselor that the US system pretty much required me to do pre-law(I was gonna go with McMaster Uni. up till he told me this, btw Chak)

and OH. MY. GOD.

I got The Goose and Chak in one thread?! It's like the old days

*bawls*
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Well, I'm a practicing lawyer in the US. Here are the realities:

- You can major in ANYTHING and get in an American law school. If you want to major in literature, major in literature. I majored in history. It did almost nothing for me in law school. English, philosophy, or literature are great preparations for it. Pre-law is a waste of time.

- Law school is very expensive. Very. It's also a long process. I was in school until I was 25, spending 7 years in college and law school. I amassed a debt of over $130,000.

- Unless you graduate very high in your class or from a tier 1 school, the road isn't paved in gold. Many lawyers start out making $30,000 a year or less. It took me a year of practicing to find a job that paid me more than $40,000. There are a lot of young lawyers who are broke or taking contract attorney jobs to make ends meet.

- First year of law school sucks. Big hairy balls. The 2nd and 3rd years, though, can be very intellectually stimulating. I don't regret law school, but don't do it unless you absolutely know you want to become a lawyer. If you're doing it as a gateway to something else, save yourself the time.
Hi, I'm Peter
I went to law school and got called to the bar but decided not to practice law. I loved law school and it was fun but if you have a passion for writing I would go into that. Unless you really have a desire to practice law I would not advise the time and money and intellectual rigor needed to complete this. In hindsight I would have got my masters in philosophy with a joint MBA or really tried to get into a music program.
Well, as I stand, i'd love to take my major in Journalism or Philosophy, and then go to law school, but my counselor advised me that not taking pre-law would be a move i'd regret. Did you get inhibited in any way, shape, or form? (speaking to Dirk there)

Unless I really HAVE to go to pre-law , i'm going to apply to Canada, then move to the US when I go on to do law, because I don't feel like spending too much money in Loyola or Stanford doing pre-law if I really don't need to.

Also, on that note, I do enjoy intellectual stimulation, but when I write, I stimulate myself, I know how to do that, etc...

I'd like to find something that doesn't base its foundations with heavy math, something interesting, that could take me somewhere in life. I'd love to join a band and try to make it but, that'll have to wait in today's world, I guess...so I suppose law will have to suffice, since it's the very next thing i'd like to do, apart from literature and/or music.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Page 1 of 2