I wanted so badly to be in this Ojibway class (ojibway is a native language)
I got my schedual today and well I was surprised it wasnt on there but insted I was put into fashion class. I went to student services and apparently you have to be native to take that class.
I found this very offending.
If you have to be native to take Ojibway wouldnt you have to be pure french to take french class? Or howabout pure italian to take italian class.
So I was really offended that the race I was born in (french & Italian) was holding me back from learning a different language.
I personally agree that the native kids have first priority to take that class but the school is running TWO Ojibway classes. There was like 15 tops who signed up.

I think this is serious discrimination that because I am not of Native heritage I cannot become smarter and enhance my knowlegde all because the race I was born in. This disgusts me.
So I talked to my favourite teacher and she sugested I called the super intendant and I did and I just got a call back from her saying that I need to call my principal at 2:30. Im kinda scared. I mean my principal is pretty nice but I dont know what shes going to say.
Anyways anyone else think that this is wrong?
Or have similar expieriences?
Surely they cant do that, they cant condone racism etc then refuse to let you take a clas, tis horsecock. As for the principal, could be good, explain why you want to take it, all the usual crap, then if that fails kill her with your hair which as we all know by now, contains about 6 knives.
Personally I have not had any similar experiences such as that, closest thats happened to me is being told to cut my hair as it was too long yet the female members of the school could have it as long as they liked. (I negotiated style change but not length in the end)

Your principal is probably just going to have a chat with you about why you want to take the class, and you will probably reach a understanding (hopefully one with you taking your Ojibway class) good luck
Quote by x/taluha
I got my schedual today and well I was surprised it wasnt on there but insted I was put into fashion class. I went to student services and apparently you have to be native to take that class.
If you have to be native to take Ojibway wouldnt you have to be pure french to take french class? Or howabout pure italian to take italian class.
So I was really offended that the race I was born in (french & Italian) was holding me back from learning a different language.
I personally agree that the native kids have first priority to take that class but the school is running TWO Ojibway classes. There was like 15 tops who signed up.

I think this is serious discrimination that because I am not of Native heritage I cannot become smarter and enhance my knowlegde all because the race I was born in. This disgusts me.
So I talked to my favourite teacher and she sugested I called the super intendant and I did and I just got a call back from her saying that I need to call my principal at 2:30. Im kinda scared. I mean my principal is pretty nice but I dont know what shes going to say.

At the schools I've gone to it's because those kids NEED to know this language to be able to talk with their family, or in some cases even their own parents.
They start with a different amount of knowledge compared to other students (due to it being their native language, they'll probably hear it a lot at home etc.) and they will also progress at a different rate compared to other students (due to the same reasons).

I'd also guess it has something to do with students being taught more efficently if there's fewer students in the class, so that's proably another reason.

Just a thought.
dude that sucks i would threaten to tell the media if they didn't allow you because no school likes bad publicity
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by x/taluha
yeah but where we live no one really speaks native anymore.

So, why do you want to learn it so bad?

Just wondering
Quote by x/taluha
yeah but where we live no one really speaks native anymore.

I'll admit I have no idea WHERE you live, but I'll still push this family thing.

They might live with their grandparents who ONLY speak their native language, or they go visit the rest of their family frequently or whatever.

I'm not saying you are wrong or nothing', I'm just suggesting you look at the issue from their end of the spectrum. The world isn't black and white you know.
Quote by HeavenlyVirus

Just wondering

too express hios knwoledge, im learning german but i live in england does it matter i want to learn german
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by HeavenlyVirus

Just wondering

i really try to be as cultural as i can
i space my ears because in africa people do it as a religious and spirtiual thing
im a buddhist therefore i have to try and understand as amny things as possibly
I want to also learn it becasue its a true canadian thing you know?
that and i cant really do french nor italian and i wanna be bilingual
looks good on a resume
that's dumb, they should let you learn it. but i dont know why anyone would want to learn a language that they wont be able to use. take spanish or french !
Quote by Renka
I'll admit I have no idea WHERE you live, but I'll still push this family thing.

They might live with their grandparents who ONLY speak their native language, or they go visit the rest of their family frequently or whatever.

I'm not saying you are wrong or nothing', I'm just suggesting you look at the issue from their end of the spectrum. The world isn't black and white you know.

i totally get what your saying is why i said i think the native kids has first prioity
but barely any of them took the subject
so why shouldnt i be able to?
Quote by wiggyisgreat
That is a bit stupid... have you talked to them about it? Threaten them

YES! Dance around the principal's desk while doing the "tomahawk chop".

srsly. It's kinda stupid for the school to make that requirement. Worse than it being discriminatory, they're missing an opportunity for outsiders to learn the language and culture. That should be promoted, not hindered.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
dude that sucks i would threaten to tell the media if they didn't allow you because no school likes bad publicity

Don't do this, it's just the route to take if you want to be a pain in the ass and not sort it out sensibly. I'm sure you'll be able to take the class without having to do this.
Blatantly lie, pay someone to come on and speak Ojibway claiming to be your long lost relative, and they want to talk to you. This is where its sneaky, get someone, who not only speaks Ojibway, but has some sort of heavy artillery.
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
too express hios knwoledge, im learning german but i live in england does it matter i want to learn german

I'm learning German as well, but I live in the USA. I learn it because my heritage is German and it's important to me.

To TS, I understand now, but I also agree with the person talking about the family situation.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Don't do this, it's just the route to take if you want to be a pain in the ass and not sort it out sensibly. I'm sure you'll be able to take the class without having to do this.

if you want to learn that language badly then why not, it will only be a threat
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Your people took their land and slaughtered their people...I would assume it would only be fair for them to say that they're the only ones who can take a class on their language.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by minibrowny
Blatantly lie, pay someone to come on and speak Ojibway claiming to be your long lost relative, and they want to talk to you. This is where its sneaky, get someone, who not only speaks Ojibway, but has some sort of heavy artillery.

I cant they said they do back ground history chexcks

Quote by Les Paul Ell

i would never do it

Quote by rojomeansred
I'll agree with armon, sure it would be cool to learn the language, but will it ever really be of any use to you in the future? Since you said you were from Canada I'd suggest learning French.

i used tyo be french right in a french school but then i moved to an english school and because i was so used to french i couldnt speak english properly so they made me take extra english lessons insted and from then on i could never get ahold of french anymore (i was young when this happned)
Quote by musicianamedave
Your people took their land and slaughtered their people...I would assume it would only be fair for them to say that they're the only ones who can take a class on their language.

I would sig that if I had room
Quote by x/taluha

thats pretty gay =/
Quote by musicianamedave

technically youre wrong becasue no sides of any of my family came to canada until the early 1900's and that stopped way before then.
Quote by x/taluha
i totally get what your saying is why i said i think the native kids has first prioity
but barely any of them took the subject
so why shouldnt i be able to?

Wait, I am getting confused again (that happens a lot ); I thought you said no one used the language anymore? 15 kids sounds like quite a lot considering those circumstances.

And that withstanding, there's always the "But... She was allowed to!"-factor connected to it. If they start bending the rules for one student word will get around (trust me on this, I get a LOT of these things).

It's never fun to be the bad guy in a situation like this, but in the end, rules are rules and they are there for a reason. Maybe next year there'll be 30 natives and 25 other students who want to take up the class.

Bah, I don't know, I can impossibly say what I really think is the right or wrong decision without all the facts, sorry I'm not to much help.
Quote by x/taluha
technically youre wrong becasue no sides of any of my family came to canada until the early 1900's and that stopped way before then.

I said your people, not your specific family.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
ok update:

apparently there was miscommunication with the principal and the course
you dont have to be native
she put me on the scheudal and im in the class
Quote by musicianamedave
I said your people, not your specific family.

Why is it always about race with you?

Naw, I'm kidding, you're great.
Quote by x/taluha
ok update:

apparently there was miscommunication with the principal and the course
you dont have to be native
she put me on the scheudal and im in the class

yay
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Maybe they already have some knowledge of the language due to the fact that they are native and thus the class will assume some prior knowledge that they assume you don't have as you are not a native.
Just a thought.
If that's not true then I see no reason for you not being allowed to take the class.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Think about this. Italian people speak Italian. French people speak French. How come Latin people don't speak Latin?
Is it a language class in the fashion that they start at the beginning besics of the language, or a language class in that you have to be a fluent speaker to participate in the class? At the high school I went to they had all the regualar language classes, and then a different set of each language for fluent speakers.

Perhaps you school could be doing the same thing, but just advertised it poorly.
How the hell would the ability to speak some random dead language look good on a CV?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
in my elementary school they'd me ****ed up. if i spoke spanish to friends they'd be like U CANT SPEAK UR NATIVE LANGUAGE IN SCHOOL