On my new Ibanez GRG170DX (please no hating - I am poor student!) I get a nasty buzz on my low E which is only there on the first 5 frets, everywhere else is fine.

I understand that either the action or the truss rod needs adjusting, but which one first? Do I need to raise or lower the action in this case?

The manual wasn't too helpful!
Quote by NorthEuropean
Slayer From Jk2,Ex .{DL}. member? About help..dunno o0

I totally agree!
is that a locking trem guitar?

have u been playing a while?

raising the action might not help, but you should start there anyway.

what type of bridge? does it have saddles like in ^ his link? if so then, raise that string with a tiny allen wrench.
if not, then repost and answer some of the questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Raising the action should fix the problem, but if it's a truss rod problem, you'll end up with uncomfortably high action, making it difficult to play properly. My advice: bring it to a tech so he can teach you how to adjust your truss rod, that way you can do it yourself in the future. Internet tutorials aren't always the best way to go - you don't want to damage your guitar beyond repair.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
I sounds like the neck is slightly humped, take it to a tech and get it set-up.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I gave it ago last night on my own and raised the low E side of the bridge (refered to ass the bass side I assume from the manual) and I eliminated the buzz after 10 minutes of working out which direction moved it up and which moved it down.

Thanks anyway