I was wondering what the is difference between a bass with humbuckers, and those with precision/jazz pickups? Is there any significant difference? Thanks in advance!!!!!
humbuckers generally give a gnarlier tone, great for slap. however jazzes are renowned for a good tone too.

personally i think good slap tone is achieved by having two coils, be they in a humbucker, two singles, or a p-J combo, like a p bass special (or my bass as a matter of fact =))

but try some out for yourself, you may like the beefier tone of a humbucker

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Humbuckers get a larger, thicker tone, while a single coil (J-bass pickup) will be thinner and usually won't output as much low. Humbuckers are great for rock, metal, and if you EQ right, can get an excellent slap tone. Singles are usually used where less thickness and "thump" is needed. I have two singles on my bass that I use at the same time, which gives me a humbucker like tone. 'Buckers usually have a larger range of sounds (especially active ones) and if you know what you're doing, a set of humbuckers can get you just about any tone need.
Funny, "'bucker" and "wider range of tone" have never graced the same thought as far as I know. Buckers usually are very one dimensional pickups with, depending on the type, can vary from a roar to a punch but usually doesn't cross over into many other categories. For example Stinger pups sound very much the same and are very hard to escape that STINGRAY sound.

Anyway, humbuckers are generally very punchy pickups, that are coiled oppositely to, you guessed it, stop (buck) hum. Single coils I wouldn't describe as thin. I would say smooth. Big difference. They sometimes have some trouble getting a growl or roar, they more specialize in the mid range punch or bassy smoothness. Just a warning some single coils will hum. P (or split single coils) are a bit in the middle of humbuckers and singles. They achieve a very thumpy almost growl but can still be smooth like a single pickup.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Funny, "'bucker" and "wider range of tone" have never graced the same thought as far as I know. Buckers usually are very one dimensional pickups with, depending on the type, can vary from a roar to a punch but usually doesn't cross over into many other categories.

My friend, you have been playing on the wrong kind of humbuckers. You are correct in saying many of your average humbuckers have a one dimensional tone, however when you go into the next step of humbuckers such as EMG's, Bartolini's, and Seymour Duncans, you can virtually obtain any tone desired, from the typical punch of humbuckers, to the smoothness of single coils, you just have to know how to dial it in.