I know a decent amount about PC hardware and what not, but i don't know very much about laptops. My question is are newer laptops' components (RAM, Processor, etc.) upgradeable to the same extent as a PC? If not what is upgradeable, and do PCs and laptops generally use the same hardware or is it a completely different market?
from what i know you cant upgrade a laptop very easily, as its all hard cased and such.
depend on the company, for example with apple...their laptops are almost as strong as their desktops. The MacBook Pro has like 2.2Ghz or 2.4 which are both available on a desktop. The amount of space on the harddrive differs tho. Can't put too much into a laptop, or it becomes heavy and noone wants that.
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.
RAM is, but not anything else really. Occasionally hard drive, but even that is spotty.
Oh Shit!
yeah laptops are really really awkward. Youre stuck with the processor, main board, and probably on board graphics. All for double the price of a similar PC
not as easy as a desktop. you can pretty much never replace the video card. processors are upgradeable... sometimes. memory is upgradeable. sometimes the hard drive is upgradeable.

you'll get used to buying usb peripherals.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by add666
yeah laptops are really really awkward. Youre stuck with the processor, main board, and probably on board graphics. All for double the price of a similar PC

i don't know about double. usually a laptop is $200 more than the equivalent in a desktop form.
gear?

Im looking at the new Dell Inspiron 1420. When building it online I only have two options for the graphics card:

- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100
or
- 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Does anyone know anything about the x3100? Does it have dedicated memory or is it shared? Also if I get the GeForce, does that take up my ExpressCard or my VGA slot or is it somehow integrated?

Sorry this is turning out to be a little more than a quick question. Appreciate the help though.
you don't usually want integrated graphics cards, i'd go with the latter.
go with the nvidia. the intel is a very generic card.
gear?

the intel card is intergrated and it shares the computer's memory instead of having its own
and about upgrading computers....things change so fast that you might just upgrade ur memory and get an additional harddrive. By the time you will need to do that theres gona be faster processors and your computer will be outdated in a way....hope you know where I am getting to
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.