I can't play any of the **** in my school band, everyone else is way better than me. I can't read any of the stuff and I suck really bad and I don't know what to do. I haven't been playing as long as everyone else and I've never had lessons and I feel really lost in that class. I was thinking about dropping the class but then I'll never learn anything, if I stay in the class maybe I will get better. There are lessons after school on Thursdays but I am way behind......I feel like a noob
i'm not gonna be nice about it so if you're a whiney git who lashes out at any form of criticism don't read below

you're gonna keep sucking if you keep whining and not doing anything about it, so quit yer whining and start practicing, get a theory book, learn some thing that challenges you not just the **** in your root pounding safety zone thats how everyone here got where they are.

love

dan xxx

p.s some people naturally pick up instruments and get good really easily, judging by what you said you're not one of these people so you gotta put in the extra practice
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by BassPlayer500
I can't play any of the **** in my school band, everyone else is way better than me. I can't read any of the stuff and I suck really bad and I don't know what to do. I haven't been playing as long as everyone else and I've never had lessons and I feel really lost in that class. I was thinking about dropping the class but then I'll never learn anything, if I stay in the class maybe I will get better. There are lessons after school on Thursdays but I am way behind......I feel like a noob

Quit the band, get private lessons, practice, and get to the point you need to be at before you join again. If you're that far behind, then chances are the stuff you will be learning will be to advanced for you, and reading sheet music is probably a key part to being in the band. So you definetley need to learn how to read decently well first.
Yo dude dont worry about it - some things come with time , guitar is one of them
Also lessons are supposed to be progressive not like learn things straight away no 1 is that good just keep practising and ittl be fine ( and then u can shove it in the faces of the others.....\../(>.<\../
I know how to read sheet music I'm just not that good at it. I know the notes on all 4 strings. I can't take private lessons because I can't afford them. Should I just try taking lessons after school? If that doesn't work I guess I just have to drop the class and figure something out...
Quote by BassPlayer500
I know how to read sheet music I'm just not that good at it. I know the notes on all 4 strings. I can't take private lessons because I can't afford them. Should I just try taking lessons after school? If that doesn't work I guess I just have to drop the class and figure something out...

It's cliche, but it's true. Practice. That's how you can get better at sightreading sheet music
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
no. You don't have to drop anything. You just have to practice.

Whatever it is in band that they want you to do that you can't, take it home and do it. And then you won't suck.

This will keep happening, and you'll still be below or behind or whatever. But if you practice more, you'll catch up.

I see no reason to quit while you're behind.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
keep on practicing and beleiving in yourself i know this is basically what everyone else is saying but really do i never got lessons (well for guitar, i leart bass from my uncle and a real good book) and im doing okay (thougfh im not as good as id like to be) keep trying basicaly
Hey Blass Player,Im new to it to but I'm sooooo determined nothing will stop me. Please don't drop anything, if you love it you'll keep going. How long ya been playing? I'm just over a month & there's already ideas for songs going through my head but I'm not good enough yet to pick out the chords I want. I'm playing an accoustic. I'm learning song by song rather than chord by chord as I feel I'm getting quicker results that way & it's keeping me going. I'm up to five songs now ( though I could be better than I am). There's nothing wrong with admitting you're not the best, but hey, even the best of them were at this place at one time! Just listen to the advice you're given by those who are more advanced than you, they were just learning at on time so they know how you feel. Keep smiling babe
lololol... 1f u cant play bass U are teh worst musician ever, bass 1s l1ke teh easiet instrument eva.

No seriously, you just need to practice.
And stop being so emo about, nobody cares if you suck, only YOU care about.
Therefore its all up to YOU! Do someting about it, practice more or read a theory book.

But nobody wants to hear you cry.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Don't drop anything. Go to class, listen extra hard, mark down everything on your music, take those extra help classes, talk to your band teacher for more help (any decent band teahcer will do this), take home the music, woodshed each idea, lick, riff, connect them, then woodshed the piece, then go back and play. You'll notice some things you don't like about it, mark it down, go home, change it. Just don't quit.
Shut that ****ing attitude out for once. If you give up you might aswell stop playing.

BUT OH EMM GEE I SUCK AND SO I SUCK

so ****ing deal with it. I have yet to meet a single person that could play one instrument godly from birth. Even the might lord, our god, Jaco Pastorius sucked at one point in his life. You are not perfect, nobody is.

BUT EVERYUNS BETTUR THUN MEE!

With that attitude, I am not surprized. It takes WORK AND DEDICATION. It takes alot of ****ing work, dedication, pain, and suffering to get good at ANYTHING worth doing. If you don't have that, might aswell pawn your bass now and go get a model kit or something.

If you really REALLY want to get good at playing bass, take it seriously and put as much time as you can spare into playing.
May I ask, how do you practice anyway?

My friend said to just learn lots of songs and use it to make your own, but that doesn't sound like it makes any sense (to me).

Everyone else on UG just tells me to learn scales, but I don't find it helps much. I just find that it just shows that all useable notes are in hands reach. So I just randomly fret without shifting until a tune sounds good. It kinda works, but it takes too long and doesn't sound like how I want it to...
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by BassPlayer500

Quit.
Quote by BassPlayer500

hey! this is the UG Bass Forum. we don't quit, on this team. playing the bass requires alot of homework. you have had replies from some of our best members. so i ask you this, are you a quitting loser, or a bass player? (either answer would be correct).
take the after school lessons! we were all noobs, once. i suck! but way less than i used to! Live To Bass, Bass To Live.
Thanks guys, and sorry for the whining. Well, tomorrow's Thursday so I'll see if I can get some help because I can't drop the class anyway.
yes you are a noob welcome to the club.
everyone goes through this when they are new to something, go to lessons especially if they are free. (NEVER turn down free education)
i am playing in a garage band with 3 amazing musicians, i can learn cover stuff fairly quickly but when it comes to jamming its root notes for me. and i think i sound like ****. i started playing a year ago and i am lightyears ahead of where i was then.
my gear
warwick corvette $$
warwick rockbass corvette
yamaha rbx 370
ibanez sw35 amp