Hello,
I have just bought an Ibanez S470DXQM ...and I am now looking for an amp to replace my Frontman 15B Bass amp (for the love of god, don't ask). I have about £180 (Which I realize isn't a lot but it's all I have ) although I can go up and down a little bit. I will be playing lots of Metallica, Pantera etc, also some classic rock like Led Zeppelin and small bits of Red Hot Chili Peppers and also possibly Hendrix. I want something that sounds good when I practise or jam, and that would be good for small gigs (About 100 people). I have gathered a list of possible amps;

Vox AD50VT £168
Marshall MG50DFX/MG100DFX £155/£180 (I'm told these are crap but hey...)
Line6 Spider III 75 £179 (I'm told these sound digital but, again, hey...)
Hughes & Kettner 60DFX £212.90 (I'm told these are overpriced for what they are but, yet again, hey...)
Crate GTX212 £149
Roland Cube 60 £148.99
VOX AD30VT-XL £169.36 (Ouch)

Please tell me which one you would go for, why and why you wouldn't go for the others.
Also any other recommendations and suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Adi
Last edited by aradroxar at Sep 5, 2007,
havn't tried the H&K, but skip the Line 6 and Marshall, and take a look at cubes, voxes (like the ones you're looking at now) and the new XL line- will you be playing mainly metal or the funk/classic rock?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by aradroxar
Hello,
I have just bought an Ibanez S470DXQM ...and I am now looking for an amp to replace my Frontman 15B Bass amp (for the love of god, don't ask). I have about £180 (Which I realize isn't a lot but it's all I have ) although I can go up and down a little bit. I will be playing lots of Metallica, Pantera etc, also some classic rock like Led Zeppelin and small bits of Red Hot Chili Peppers and also possibly Hendrix. I want something that sounds good when I practise or jam, and that would be good for small gigs (About 100 people). I have gathered a list of possible amps;

Vox AD50VT £168 (good amp but take a look at the XL's too)
Hughes & Kettner 60DFX £212.90 (I'm told these are overpriced for what they are but, yet again, hey...) (haven't tried this one)
Crate GTX212 £149 (haven't tried this one either)

Please tell me which one you would go for, why and why you wouldn't go for the others.
Also any other recommendations and suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Adi

check your list ^ i deleted the amps i wouldn't go for.
maybe a crate palomino with a OD or distortion pedal ?
or maybe a roland cube.
the vox is definitely your best bet. it should be able to do everything you want. there are better amps for the metallica and pantera sound but then you'd lose the versatility. i say go for the vox. although it doesn't take pedals too well i think a distortion pedal over the clean channel would be ok and get you to heavy metal.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Yngwi3
havn't tried the H&K, but skip the Line 6 and Marshall, and take a look at cubes, voxes (like the ones you're looking at now) and the new XL line- will you be playing mainly metal or the funk/classic rock?

Mainly metal I'd say... and thank you everyone!
^ ok if it's mainly metal then the roland cube 60 and the vox ad50vt-XL (maybe the 30 because 50 is probably out of your price range)
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Hmm...well that sounds to me like a Roland Cube job, because despite the vox being MORE versatile, the Roland CAN get quite a few ranges of tones.
I havn't tried the new Vox XL's though, so i don't know if they're MORE versatile with the cubes (they should be with vox's reputation) so they're a definite suggestion.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I added those to the list...turns out the VOX AD50VT-XL is £269!

Thanks guys...
I played a Vox AD60vt the other day, and I could get some serious metal tones, as well as great bluesy stuff. It has a ton more amp models and such than the others in the series, but it might be out of your price range.
^ yeah the ad60vt and 120vt are awesome amps, but they're expensive
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD