Page 1 of 2
Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000 300W whats the deal with this amp. Every thing looks like it's in good order, but people have been giving me me horror stories on Behringer equiptment. ??????
Search barring will help you here. Behringer amps are poorly constructed and have misleading power ratings. They're also extremely unreliable and have poor tone.

When an amp is very cheap and seems to be amazing, there's a reason for that. There's no secret with Behringer amps. You have to pay for quality. Good 'for the money' is never acceptable. But, even then, Behringers are poor for any amount of money.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by bass dude nick
this thread wouldnt be inspired by caustics comments on behringer would it?

Ya damn rights I almost bought the same one my friend has, but after hearing that i want to be sure.
Quote by bass dude nick
this thread wouldnt be inspired by caustics comments on behringer would it?

Santa isn't real either! Grrrr! Yeah, looks like I've pooped on someones party. Sorry, but I stick by my words. You can find the occasional reasonable amp, which will suit well enough for the bedroom bassist, but if you want quality of tone, reliability, volume... you want something else.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Behringers have a horrible rep. I haven't played that particular model, but I've owned a Behringer (I had a very limited budget), and it did it's job. They're ok, with some patience and some tweaking you can get a decent tone from them depending on your bass. But there's no denying they may very well be the bottom of the ladder of bass amps.

I'm sure some of the horror stories may be true, but people exaggerate. And I'm sure they're not that common. Mine never had inexplicable breakdowns and the same goes for someone else I know who owned one.

If you have the money for something else, yes play it safe and get something known to be more dependable. But if you're on a very limited budget or just starting out then sure maybe you can look at some Behringers but for god sake PLAY BEFORE YOU BUY!
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Never buy a Behringer...Never.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
Quote by Child Of Maiden
Mine never had inexplicable breakdowns and the same goes for someone else I know who owned one.

But how many had explicable breakdowns? Going wrong and knowing why is still going wrong
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Truth be told I have the money. I'm just so damn cheap I squeak when I walk. I just changed my strings about a week ago after having them for about 2 years. So with that being said Whats a quality amp for a quality price. I just want a good amp so I can jam out with my buddies and not be drown out.
Yeah I know you guys probably hear that question every day or hour, but I need info.
Quote by Caustic
But how many had explicable breakdowns? Going wrong and knowing why is still going wrong

It's almost as if you're accusing me of covering something up?

I only provided input based on my personal experience and that's all I can do. I've never had any inexplicable breakdowns or "explicable" breakdowns.

The reason I used the word "inexplicable" is because a lot of people like to tell these stories with all different types of equipment like "and then the neck just came right off for no reason and I was like WTF!?". I'm not defending Behringer in any way but when I hear stories like that I either assume it's total BS or the person has no idea what they're doing.

So save your pretentious eye wink, I'm only trying to be informative.

Quote by gotbass
Truth be told I have the money.

Then after everything you've heard why are you still considering Behringer if you have the money for something better? What's your price range?
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by gotbass
Truth be told I have the money. I'm just so damn cheap I squeak when I walk. I just changed my strings about a week ago after having them for about 2 years. So with that being said Whats a quality amp for a quality price. I just want a good amp so I can jam out with my buddies and not be drown out.

If you were looking at the BXL300, that's a price range of about... $300?

Fender Rumble is about that price. Fine for jamming duties, unless you're playing with the guys from Spinal Tap.

I think Ampeg BA115's aren't much more than $300-$350 and they're very, very popular.

Laney gear is killer in that price range, can't go wrong. I think Ashdown is a bit more expensive, but a great company... I prefer them to Ampeg, but that's me.

All those amps will be of a lower wattage, but you'll be able to depend on them and they'll be perfectly good for jamming. I've gigged with a 100w amp before, all you need is to mic it up.

Quote by Child Of Maiden
It's almost as if you're accusing me of covering something up?

I was actually kidding, mate.
Quote by Caustic

I think Ampeg BA115's aren't much more than $300-$350 and they're very, very popular.

You sound like your covering something with the VERY VERY POPULAR.
Quote by Caustic

I was actually kidding, mate.

I still didn't care for it. This isn't the first time you've been "kidding"

My suggestion is try a form of humor that doesn't solely rely on being at other peoples expense when they're trying to be helpful.

Quote by gotbass

The BA115's are very popular and not to mention leaps and bounds above the model of Behringer you were considering.
Quote by gotbass

Damn it. You got me. The repetition of the word "very" is actually a secret code for a brotherhood of religious fanatics I belong to, who believe that thousands of years ago, an evil alien called Xenu...

Oh, nevermind.

Quote by Child Of Maiden
I still didn't care for it. This isn't the first time you've been "kidding"

No, you're right. I joke quite often, actually. Touchy much?
Quote by gotbass
what abou gallen kruger backlines?

Gallien Krueger are respected. Their Backline gear is fairly standard issue gear, reliable but it's nothing outstanding. You could do worse for an amp - they sound nice enough, enough power to back it up.
Quote by gotbass
what abou gallen kruger backlines?

That's another cost effective route yes. I've never played any of their combos though. Their stacks are pretty solid so I would imagine their combos are decent. Like I said before, just make sure you play before you buy.

Quote by Caustic
No, you're right. I joke quite often, actually. Touchy much?

Sometimes. On bad days. I'm generally for a good argument or even a decent flame exchange. But for some reason it gets to me when someone throws too many little jabs and then goes back to "I was only kidding"

Weird, I guess I'd rather have a full fledged argument. Whatever, no real harm done, continue on fellow UGer.
EH? Caustic do you play bass? And if so what do you think of the musicman sterling.
Quote by gotbass
EH? Caustic do you play bass? And if so what do you think of the musicman sterling.

I do play bass, yes. I've never played a Sterling, but Ernie Ball/MusicMan make great basses. They're a high end piece of kit.

edit:

Quote by gotbass
lets say my budget is 300 - 550 (yeah i know i'm cheap)

For an amp? For under $500, you can get an Ashdown MAG-300. Brilliant amp.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by gotbass
piece of kit ? i don't get ur humor

You know, kit. Gear. Equipment. Item. Not a play on words this time, Sterlings are very good basses.
Quote by gotbass
Is the ampeg BA115's a tube? amp

Solid-state. There aren't many tube driven bass amps out there until you start laying down some very hefty sums of money.
Remeber i'm tight with my money. lol Although for some reason the Sterling is looking pretty hot.
Quote by gotbass
Remeber i'm tight with my money. lol Although for some reason the Sterling is looking pretty hot.

Haha, aren't we all mate. Unless you've got a thousand odd dollars... better lower your aim a little. EBMM are comfortably sat in the "can't afford me" range for me.
Quote by gotbass
what the hells with electric blue series from ashdown? 467 for 180 watt.
Your probably gonna call it shotty arn't you. http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=Product&PID=16489

Nope, Ashdown are good. I've played Ashdown a lot... spent a couple of years playing them actually. I played the MAGs, but Electric Blue range stuff is good quality too.
MM EB make OLP (officially licenced product) there bass are pretty good. Not the real deal and I don't think they have active pic ups
What you playing in you profile pic. Caustic?
Last edited by gotbass at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by gotbass
MM EB make OLP (officially licenced product) there bass are pretty good. Not the real deal and I don't think they have active pic ups

OLP are okay... unless you talk to thefitz. He doesn't like them, something about the necks. Personally, I've played a couple and they felt alright. Nothing like a Stingray.... but then, nothing else does.

Edit:

My profile picture? The Marshall you can see is a guitar amp we were running as a makeshift vocal monitor. My bass amp is out of the shot, but it's a Laney RB-8 hooked up into a no-name extension cab.
Quote by gotbass
No ur instrument

Ah right. Warwick RockBass Fortress. Ol' faithful.
Page 1 of 2