I play a Gibson Explorer through a B-52 AT-212 tube combo. It's really good for metal and thrash, but lately I've been wanting to expand more into solo work on progressive rock and progressive metal.

I've been looking at the Ibanez S520EX

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873

It's right at 600 and after shipping and tax it'll come out to just under my max spending limit. I've tried one for maybe 15 minutes before about a year ago when I instead bought my amp, and now that I'm really considering investing in one I can't find one anywhere to sit down with it longer so I'm going to have to order it from musiciansfriend and if I don't like it send it back.

The one thing that I really loved about it was the tremolo system. I yanked on the bar for a good five minutes straight and it kept in tune, unlike any other tremolo system I had messed with before it. Anyone know of anything else I should know about the guitar in general though?

I realize that if I get it the pickups aren't the greatest in the world so I will be switching them out within a few weeks after, but aside from everything I've mentioned is there any other guitar that is well suited for Metal, Progressive Rock/Metal, and Thrash in this price range that anyone else can recommend me?
If I were you, I would buy a used PRS Santana SE, upgrade the pickups to a set of nice PAFs or what ever you like and save 150.00 bucks.
The Santana SE is probably one of the nicest and versatile guitars for a reasonable pricepoint.
I own several higher end Gibsons and Fenders and play my Santana more than them.
Nice tremolo system. Sets up very low. Stock tuners arent bad, either.
Totally get that S, that guitar is the sex. I played one for about two hours yesterday, and I fell in love. The neck was thin and fast but surprisingly comfortable as well. The action was insanely low yet there was no fret buzz. The only problem was the sustain, but switching to better pickups would help that. I've pretty much decided on it for my next guitar.
It's more the amp is the problem is would seem in your case. Or the pickups.

From what I hear the b-52's (I haven't played one) are like a Mesa copy (Don't quote me :P), but generally you can't go wrong with a good Gibson.
I personally would suggest buying a new amp before I would replace a Gibson unless there was something really wrong with it, but if you're dead set on getting a new guitar I'd probably say Ibanez with a decent set of pickups. Might go a bit dodgy with the lower end tremelo systems right enough, but you should be fine.
Quote by Daveyh
It's more the amp is the problem is would seem in your case. Or the pickups.

From what I hear the b-52's (I haven't played one) are like a Mesa copy (Don't quote me :P), but generally you can't go wrong with a good Gibson.
I personally would suggest buying a new amp before I would replace a Gibson unless there was something really wrong with it, but if you're dead set on getting a new guitar I'd probably say Ibanez with a decent set of pickups. Might go a bit dodgy with the lower end tremelo systems right enough, but you should be fine.

No no no..my tone is perfect right now. I LOVE it and can't see it getting any better.

The thing is I want to expand on the progressive playing a little with a guitar that has a good tremolo system to wank around with, ya know? I'll still be playing the Gibson everyday because its rhythm tone is amazing for alot of the stuff I play, its just that I want something to better suit the progressive side of my playing and something that has a tremolo system I'll like.
Thanks for the comments so far.

Anyone else have anything to add or any other suggestions?
Perhaps a schecter hellraiser? If not in your range, its RIGHT outside it. I love schecters, I've got a Syn custom and a C1+, both have the best neck access I've EVER played.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."