I know that good tone is pretty much subjective, but I can't really see any reason why my setup should sound like a cardboard guitar through a solid state, pretty much. I'll admit that it's not the best, but with a pretty good guitar and a tube amp I should be going places.

So they say tone is in the fingers, and I know I'm not too good, but I feel that even someone picking up a guitar for the first time should be able to play some notes or bend a string and get a decent sound from a setup like this. It's just not there for me. It's hollow, or muddy, or thin. Not what I was expecting at all.

So I bought a Bad Monkey and it did nothing for me. Not a good example of an OD pedal, but I figured it'd work out because I've heard so much praise for them. So many "almost as good as a tubescreamer but for way cheaper" claims. Later added the MXR Ten Band Graphic EQ, and again no difference was made. I've probably spent days at a time tweaking the hell out of every slider on there, but it's just not coming to me. I can't even get one good tone out of it, and in a lot of ways it seems to sound worse than when it's turned off.

Maybe just improving my technique is the answer, but it's kind of discouraging to play if you don't like what you're hearing. I could probably get something like an OCD, or an attenuator, or change the tubes and speaker, or whatever. Just throw down more money for "solutions" that potentially won't change anything.

What I'm looking for is a classic rock sort of overdrive. Think Zeppelin, Floyd, or anything similar to that from that era. A nice crunchy tone for rhythm, and those screaming lead tones. The closest I can get is by driving my pre-amp and taking the gain to a higher level than I'm comfortable with, and that just ends up sounding messy and unpleasant. Seems like an attenuator would be in order so I could potentially crank my power amp tubes and have those break up. I just don't want to be disappointed again if nothing happens or it sucks tone, and the amp I have now is sixty watts so it might end up being too loud even with the attenuator to get the most out of it anyway.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any advice for someone that feels like giving up on tone? I'd really appreciate any responses.
A DS-1 by Boss helps me alot. My amp OD (from the 70's or so(solid state btw)) sounds rly bad. Adding the DS-1 by itself sounds great. it ddefinately will get u crunch and scream on the right settings.
are your tubes bad?
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
have you cranked it + an od?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by qotsa1998
A DS-1 by Boss helps me alot. My amp OD (from the 70's or so(solid state btw)) sounds rly bad. Adding the DS-1 by itself sounds great. it ddefinately will get u crunch and scream on the right settings.

I never understood why the DS-1 gets a lot of complaints on UG I always found it a very versatile and great sounding pedal
my band Crimson Angel

PM me if you're interested in drumming for us
i would suggest for a good vintage sounding tube amp get a crate vintage tube fifty. my dad bought one for 250 and it sounds fantastic. if you can afford it get a marshall JCM(i beleive thats what it is) superlead or a peavey xxx. you can get those great vintage blues rock tones from any of those.

also my suggestion is if your having trouble learning because you dont like the sound coming back at you, practice without an amp. just playing it without having to worry about tone is a good idea. and always keep in mind the basic things, keep your thumb in the middle, fingers off strings your not playing. the simple stuff. doing this will probably improve your tone eponentially.
jackson dinky build!

do you live in a country?

pics dude or a vid of you trying to say 'bananaramapancake'
so it comes out brabrabrabwabwa

^about when i came home from the dentist and my face was numb from novacaine.
Just a theory but you may be making a mistake that I also made. It is going to be very hard to sound just like Zep or Floyd in a live setting. The problem is compounded by the volume levels required by normal home practice situations. Both bands used extensive studio "tricks" to achieve their tone on records. Even live Zep could not duplicate it exactly, and Floyd came close but used multithousand dollar concert-grade PA's and equipment with scores of support staff.
It is possible to get a reasonable facsimile while jamming at home, maybe 60%. Check the UG sticky Ultimate Settings thread. If you post your settings here maybe someone in a Zep or Floyd cover band can help.
Yes tone is in your hands, but its also in your head. Sometimes its hard to get one to match the other. Just my thoughts. Good luck and don't get discouraged.
Quote by suminorudder
i would suggest for a good vintage sounding tube amp get a crate vintage tube fifty. my dad bought one for 250 and it sounds fantastic. if you can afford it get a marshall JCM(i beleive thats what it is) superlead or a peavey xxx. you can get those great vintage blues rock tones from any of those.

also my suggestion is if your having trouble learning because you dont like the sound coming back at you, practice without an amp. just playing it without having to worry about tone is a good idea. and always keep in mind the basic things, keep your thumb in the middle, fingers off strings your not playing. the simple stuff. doing this will probably improve your tone eponentially.

I put my fingers on strings I don't play, and it sounds alright

Anyways, I suggest turning your amp up louder. If you notice flaws, just keep practicing and trying to narrow down the flaws. Anyone who plays without an amp will instantly hear flaws when they plug in for the first time in a while (me included when I had an SS amp). But, the flaws are easier to pick out fast. Maybe it is your pickups? Maybe they aren't adjusted right? Maybe you're not EQing right? Maybe you're practicing in a bad room acoustically? Maybe you need a fuzz pedal?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I believe that buying more stuff isn't the way to go...

It should sufice to have only one guitar and one amp, in order to have a good tone.

You have a Gibson Les Paul, so I suppose your guitar isn't the problem.

In your situation, I would go to a store and try a couple good amp's with a good guitar. If you still don't like your tone, then I bet that the only problem is your technic.

Talk to the man in the store, tell I'm that your sarching for an amp that has a very specific sound, and let him guide your "shopping"...
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
I don't know what your current amp is, but if is at least a 2x12 many of them sound worlds better at a distance of 20ft+. If your cab [if you have one] is not angled at all you should consider making it angled because it will help tremendously.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Just work on your playing and try to get things sounding natural and full. In terms of tone, you are kinda comparing yourself against some of the best tones of the last 40 years. Just relax and let things come to you, don't force it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ his amp is a fender supersonic so it's not a bad amp problem. however just because it's a good amp doesn;t mean it's an amp for you. you should try out as many amps as you can to see if any slap you in the face and say "i sound ****ing awesome"

you're equipment is good, and even if you're pathetic at EQing you claim to have triedtons of settings so it most likely isn't that either.

maybe you're just one of these tone freaks where nothing is good enough
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD