Hey, I need a 8 measure jazz solo in C and Bb mixolydian. I tried making my own, but I'm not that great a jazz player . So I was wondering if anybody would like to maybe come up with one for me? for bass or guitar. Thanks guys.
So C Mixolydian and Bb Mixolydian? What key are you in? What are your chords? What kind of jazz is it? What kind of solo do you want?

I probably couldn't write you a solo. You'd need to learn the scales and improvise yourself, and find good things. Plus, I'm crap at jazz.
oops sorry lol. my bad. thae first 4 measures are C, then the next are Bb. oops
ugg... i messed up again. sorry... 1st two measures are Cm7, 2nd two measures are Bb7, 3rd two measures are Cm7, 4th two measures are Bb7. sorry guys, it's just been one of those days.
Just play scale runs with chord tones on the downbeats, if you want to do something really simple and lame that still sounds okay.
Quote by I floss daily
Just play scale runs with chord tones on the downbeats, if you want to do something really simple and lame that still sounds okay.

no offense, but this will sound simple and lame. will it sound awful? no, but it will sound pretty bland and boring. its hard to tell you what exactly to do since there are SO many things you can do in soloing. especially jazz..... BUT fear not, check out melodic control by marty friedman (i've been pimping this video alot today) it can definately be applied to jazz (or any form of music, remember it's all just notes played in specific groupings and intervals regardless of which genre, how its played is really the key point in determing the genre it fits in)
Quote by z4twenny
no offense, but this will sound simple and lame. will it sound awful? no, but it will sound pretty bland and boring. its hard to tell you what exactly to do since there are SO many things you can do in soloing. especially jazz..... BUT fear not, check out melodic control by marty friedman (i've been pimping this video alot today) it can definately be applied to jazz (or any form of music, remember it's all just notes played in specific groupings and intervals regardless of which genre, how its played is really the key point in determing the genre it fits in)

That's probably why I said it would sound simple and lame. It was just a quick fix. It's kind of hard to teach someone how to solo on a forum...
Don't play Mixolydian over the Cm7 because there is no minor third in the mixolydian scale.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Don't play Mixolydian over the Cm7 because there is no minor third in the mixolydian scale.

So right. I didn't notice that it was Cm7 because in your first post you said just C. Basically, you could use any of the minor modes. (C Aeolian, C Dorian, C Phrygian)
Quote by Johnljones7443
C Mixo is nice over C-7 imo.

Probably not the major third though. Omitting the third makes it the same as Dorian without the third.
Keeping the third gives you an altered sound, 7#9. Same concept as playing minor pentatonic over a dominant chord (Except the major third is in the melody in this case, and the minor third in the chord, vice-versa with the other minor pent).

The major third is just a chord tone here.. which makes us hear the chord as a dominant chord with a #9, and not a minor 7th chord.

Mixo over m7 chords is pretty common, as is dorian over dominant chords. Although I don't know if it's ever looked at as being Dorian, or just minor pentatonic with some added notes (some people might find that easier to apply as they're used to playing minor pentatonic over a chord with a major third).

I like it.
wouldn't playing Cmixo over C-7 cause a tension between B and Bb, unless you play it as a passing note, i guess, just a little light would help
What B indeed. But yeah, I guess you're right about the 7#9 thing, but I don't really like how it sounds.