So I'm starting highschool and I need to choose a band instrument (trumpet, t-bone,sax etc.). I played guitar through Jr. High and in my new highschool guitar and bass guitars both arn't allowed. Can anyone recommed a good instrument for me to learn. I'm told theres a crazy over population of alto sax players so thats not really an option.

Thanks
I play trombone, and its pretty fun. Not as fun as guitar, but low brass owns.

EDIT: Its not as hard as everyone says either.
i play the trumpet it's ok i guess
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Yeah, alto sax does kick ass.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
I'd love to learn to play sax.

But second to that would be the trumpet, then the trombone.

Or maybe trombone before trumpet, I don't know.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by rorythefaggot
Yeah, alto sax does kick ass.

baritone sax!

failing that, trombone
There will be an overwellming populatity in altos, but kids will drop out.

percusion
or
clairinett is da sh*t
Bass Clarinet. Fun as hell, especially if your band plays jazz
Quote by campbell92
Here that kids, ants love cum.

Quote by Jaymz2K
I was about to suggest this. Listen to this man, he is wise and all-knowing.
Eliminating guitar and bass as options is creative discrimination. You should complain. Elminating bass is also stupid and shortsighted. Music needs a bass. Learn double bass or something, cheat the system. Or learn percussion. Or cello. Cello is good.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I see were there coming from about the no amplified instruments but I agree they should have them with the right effects and amp its all good.
Tenor, or Baritone Sax.

We're so much better than the Altos.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Well, I listen to very little band music, but I prefer instruments like Piano and guitar over wind instruments like the trumpet of Saxophone because they can play numerous notes at the same time. I recommend choosing an instrument that has that capability. Who knows? You might really get into the instrument and enjoy the higher capabilities of the instrument. Although like I said, I know very little about the instruments in Band.
trombone all the way. i play in 3 different bands, including symphonic band, jazz band( i am the lead trombone) and marching band. Low brass is really the way to go.

Oh and trombone is the closest instrument to guitar and bass. It really is because you move the slide to go up a half-step or down, just like a guitar neck. I play guitar too and the similarities are very close.
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Quote by break-me-in
Eliminating guitar and bass as options is creative discrimination. You should complain. Elminating bass is also stupid and shortsighted. Music needs a bass. Learn double bass or something, cheat the system. Or learn percussion. Or cello. Cello is good.

you know there are instruments WITHOUT strings that cover the bass spectrum pretty well
I played flute. It very easy as long as you know how to make the sound come out but the down side is that no one can hear you
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I played flute. It very easy as long as you know how to make the sound come out but the down side is that no one can hear you

+1

I've also been playing trumpet for marching band.

I'd suggest you do a low brass instrument so you're familiar with the bass clef as well as the treble clef.
Quote by seljer
you know there are instruments WITHOUT strings that cover the bass spectrum pretty well

Yeah I do. But I still think that it's odd to eliminate an instrument from their choices that can easily be used for any genre.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by PhrenchPhries
I play trombone, and its pretty fun. Not as fun as guitar, but low brass owns.

EDIT: Its not as hard as everyone says either.

power to the low brass

last year i played euphonium but this year i have a chance at bass
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Flute ..... definitely flute. That's the instrument I'd choose to learn, anyway.

...you can let the girls at band camp borrow it, when you get it back, it'll taste real good.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Dude, take it from a band kid like me. Play tuba. the lowest of the lows, and (like guitar players) have some of the biggest egos in the band.

and tuba is one kick-ass marching band instrument.
AT PURDUE!!! ( I think i'm the only one at Purdue that is on the forums....)

Awesome bands YOU! need to check out: Pain of Salvation, Vision Divine, Angra, Ayreon
Alto sax definetly. I've been playing it for 5 years now.
Om nom nom nom!
Quote by tehREALcaptain
be a chorus kid ftw?

FUCK YOU
not rly tho
But yeah I would complain, bass and guitar doesnt have to be electronically amplified or anything....that or percussionchop chop chop chop chop