Me again :p

Recently, I've come to notice that what I once thought was fairly innocent, nobody does in video's on youtube. When I need to alternate upstroke/downstroke really fast, for example for the battery riffs, I skew my pick quite a bit.

I'm wondering, is this alright, or should I practice keeping my pick straight (I mean, parallel to the string, if that makes sense)? I've been doing this for 2 years now, and I'm starting to fear I've been doing things wrong since then

It doesn't keep me from playing though, it's actually easier for me. Although maybe it might not sound as clean as when you keep the pick straight?

Grtz
SanderD
you can do whatever YOU like best
i think people playing guitar are just trying to copy others to much, that's great and all but i think guitar playing is all about inovation
Quote by livingontheedge
you can do whatever YOU like best
i think people playing guitar are just trying to copy others to much, that's great and all but i think guitar playing is all about inovation

Galloping is a staple in metal.

Basically, you just practise doing it at a speed your comfortable with, and make sure you don't get any sort of muscle cramps (seeing as you're using your whole arm - I think).

And hold the pick at whatever angle you like, just as long as it doesn't "scrape" the strings.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I turn my pick perpindicular sometimes because in certain situations I think it makes the picking sound more smooth. I guess it's more about what sound you're going for.

noobEDIT: Bolded word used to say parallel.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Last edited by CORT noob at Sep 5, 2007,
Thanks for the responses!

I think I'm going to try and work a bit on keeping it perfectly parallel (which I think is how you're actually supposed to pick, I pick like that until it gets to fast anyhow)

I do notice doing this skewing gives a less clean sound, but it's not too noticeable :p

Thanks again!
Galloping is a staple in metal.

i didn't mean what he was the first to do it or anything, i meant just because he couldn't find anyone doing it on youtube doesn't mean he can't do it if still wants to
not really sure what you mean but if you don't run into any problems when learning a new technique or trying to gain speed, and you feel comfortable then you shouldn't change the way you pick.
Quite alot of the great fast guitarists skew their picking. I think Gilbert has been known to do it, but I definitely know that Satriani does it. Don't worry and just play what feels best for you.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Okay again, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll just keep doing what feels best for me then, for now... If it sounds alright, that's what matters no? ^^

@livingontheedge:
I'm not really trying to imitate anyone. Just don't want to end up concluding that my picking is bad after years of practice
Quote by Kurapica
Quite alot of the great fast guitarists skew their picking.

Every shredder I can think of, without fail, angles their pick one way or other; it's almost neccesary for picking fast.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Paul Gilbert actually does a lesson on how to do it. I think you get more definition in the picking, especially if you don't have a full tube amp, and you're looking for the middy pick definition that sometimes tube amps deliver without so much effort.

EDIT: Although, it becomes troublesome at lower gain levels, because you often end up getting unwanted pinch harmonics, which you just can't hear with low gain, but would sound cool with lots of it.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
EDIT: Although, it becomes troublesome at lower gain levels, because you often end up getting unwanted pinch harmonics, which you just can't hear with low gain, but would sound cool with lots of it.

That's only a problem if you don't have enough control over your technique, I pick with an angled pick and have no such problems.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.