Page 1 of 2
u mean half step????
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.
a quarter-step will just sound out of tune
I see no sign of fortress.
thats ridiculous. means you wouldnt be playing real notes, so you couldnt write it in standard notation
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
low string = Eb= halfstep down

low string = D = full step down/2 half steps

low string = E = standard tuning

there arent quarters.
if you mean drop D (tuning low E to a D..idk how many stepss) then pluck the D string (3rd thickest) and the low E, detune the E. You should be able to hear the beats. keep tuning down until you hear it sound more or less the same. or good. idk. someone else talk
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
a lot of bands eh? name some bands and songs that do it eh?
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
[quote="'']sounds wierd but alot of bands do it. If i try to play along with pantera in standard it sounds out of tune, same as if i play machine head in C#

yer, well maybe theyre using the whammy bar in those bts or something

EDIT: or maybe your tuner's broken
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Half step is NOT D tuning.

Half step is just one note lower, or a Half of a note. It's one of those. I know for sure it isn't the same as tuning to D.

Is the same as standard but all the strings go down a half note.
[quote="'']sounds wierd but alot of bands do it. If i try to play along with pantera in standard it sounds out of tune, same as if i play machine head in C#

Is your tuner calibrated to 440hz?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yeah, it is true that some pantera and machine head are played in quater step down. Basically, what you do is download guitar pro or anyother guitar programs and set the tuning on the program to quater step down and tune your guitar accordingly.

Hope that makes sense

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

I don't get why people are saying that you can't do it o.O I know that quite alot of bands have done it and it brings a quirky nature to things. The difference can be quite hard to tell though without a reference point.

There's no easy way to do it, just use a chromatic tuner and tune inbetween E and Eb for example.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
What I always do, and always works for me is play your E until you get it to what you want it to sound like haha.

In other words, if you want the same tuning as Dime, listen to when he plays an open E, and tune your guitar to match
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
a lot of bands eh? name some bands and songs that do it eh?

aerosmith-jaded.
rolling stones- paint it black.

im sure i could go on.
alot of metal bands, plus some classic rock bands tune in quarter steps, but its used mainly in eastern and indian music. eastern music commonly uses quarter tones, while Western music chose not to include it in their style of notation.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
its funny when n00bs deny the facts. you could do what i do and just tune by ear to whichever record you want to play along to...

i just tune the bottom string to the track, and carry on from there.
EVHs tuning is all over the place on Van Halen's first record. As long as the whole guitar is tuned in relation to itself it sounds fine.

Piano tuners adjust the tonal characteristics of concert pianos by tuning one or two of the three strings per note sharp or flat by a tiny increment. Slightly sharp gives the piano a noticeably brighter sound, and flat gives it a darker, mellower sound.
Well, if it actually was tuned a "Quarter Step" down, it would still be in tune... but why?
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
I bet your intonation is all jacked up.
no from my understanding it comes down in a quarter step from recoriding processes and yes panter on atleast Cowboys and Vulgar tune down anywere from 1/4 to 1 and 1/4 and its a pain in the ass i just play standard with it sound alright
As far as I know you can change your tuner to 420 Hz (I think that's it) and then tune to E or D... That's supposed to be pretty close.

People need to shut up with their ignorant denial. Dime said he always tuned "a cunthair flat". I guess it came from him tuning his Floyd Rose guitars to themselves withput a tuner/tuning fork. I think it'd turn out that way if you tune the low E to correct pitch and then keep fine tuning (for instance by using natural harmonics) without using a tuner to check.
alot of times recordings are sped up or slowed down which causes the overall tuning, while still being relavent, to be off 440A
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
^I don't think I have a single recording (that I've noticed) where that's the case. With Pantera that was jsut the tuning, and that's fact. What I posted in quotation marks up there was an actual Dime quote.
There are numerous examples of bands using 1/4 tone below standard tuning for whatever reasons, to get such a tuning is tricky without a chromatic tuner, as others have said, you could tune to the recording of the particular song you are trying to play.

With a chromatic tuner, the needle/indicator shows pitch all the way from one semitone flat to one semitone sharp, so to achieve 1/4 tone tuning you would aim to get the needle halfway between a semitone and in-tune (sounds obvious I know). Either tune the remaining strings to the exact same point on the tuner, or better still, tune the rest of the guitar by ear.
Thin Lizzy tuned to whatever they were in at the time. As long as all the guitars were in tune together it didn't matter, there's no other pitched instruments for them to relate to. No idea why Pantera did it, but probably for the same reason, maybe Dimebag liked the feel of the strings slightly out.
i just had to do this last night with Loudness' Pray For The Dead. its tuned right in between E and Eb. i dont know why they did it, but it does have a little more of a metalish tone to it....
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
thats ridiculous. means you wouldnt be playing real notes, so you couldnt write it in standard notation

you could probably write it in standard notation if you put it in the Key signiature.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
It's when you tune the low E string down a little bit but not as far as a D#. I have no idea if you would get the note you're looking for by tuning the low E to E @ 420Hz, or any other method. Dimebag talked about the tuning in a video online when he was playing in a shop - if anything, it would make you sound a bit different from everyone else - half of us aren't sure how to even get that tuning!

As long as the guitar is in tune with itself it'll sound fine, albeit, different.
^and the other guitar and the bass and the drums and the keyboard aswell (if applicable) and it should be in tune with the vocals anyway otherwise you need a new singer mate!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I think these bands that are tuned a quarter step off might have done it on accident for the album recording and stuck with it for the rest of the instruments
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
my best guess is that they didn't bother to tune their instruments to a proper reference pitch. wouldn't make it wrong. just would make it different i guess. i keep my guitars in one tuning. so if somones band is tuned differently, i drop or raise the pitch of the song instead with Pacemaker for winamp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Yea I"ve always found that strange, though I don't think it's precisely a quarter step off. 'Cos like in Guitar World's tablature, they sometimes put tuned 'a little flat' after giving the tuning the song is written in.

And I always thought that Pantera did their songs in Drop D and didn't tune them 'slightly flat'.
Current Rig:

Ibanez GRG270dx
DOD 40watt amp (don't know the model)
Dunlop Crybaby (moded)

I know it's sad but it'll do for now.

Member of the Nasi Lemak Appreciation Club!
wow. some people really CANT accept fact. some bands DO tune a quarter step down. ON PURPOSE. ****ing hell some of you people are both ignorant and stupid.

since when do you write a metal song in standard notation, sticking strictly to the "rules"? ****...
Plenty of people tune down a 1/4 step. You simply change the Hz value of A from A=440 to A=425-430. Anyone who plays Baroque music will know that A is equal to around 415Hz when playing music from that period. And, on top of that, there are ways to notate quarter tones.
Panterra do it, MY band does it, and there are countless other bands that do it for just a couple of songs, and plenty more that use quarter tone bends.
Page 1 of 2