Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how loud the Marshall MG100DFX amp is and if I would be able to use it at gigs for parties and gigs in front of about 200-300 people??
Also how reliable is it and how good does it sound??

Cheers.
Jack.
Loud enough for that, I would think. However...the tone would be bad. And reliability isn't great, either.

What sort of music do you play, and how much do you have to spend? There are a lot of better amps you could get for a similar amount of money.
I can tell you right now, it doesn't sound that good. I'm not hating on it simply because everyone hates MG's but because there are much better SS amps for the price. It really doesn't sound that good [as do most SS IMO] and it's overpriced. What is your price range, and what styles of music do you play, perhaps we could better direct you to a better suiting amp?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
its the best amp in the world
...srsly
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
No.1. Don't buy it.

No.2. Don't buy it at any cost.

No.3. DO NOT BUY IT.

No.4. Use the search button. Plenty of MG threads describing how bad it is. The end.
It is loud.

It is unreliable and sounds like crap.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Don_Humpador
No.1. Don't buy it.

No.2. Don't buy it at any cost.

No.3. DO NOT BUY IT.

No.4. Use the search button. Plenty of MG threads describing how bad it is. The end.

+1
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
100 watts is too loud for something like that. I use an ad50, and it is plenty loud for even medium sized clubs.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
i played a mg full stack and i didn't like it, the one crate solidstate stack thats like$400 sounded kinda cool for playing around sometimes, but all the fuzz would just get annoying. but if thats what u want
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
You could probably get a good 30 watt tube combo for about the same price, and it would be as loud as the 100 watt solid state MG. And sound a lot better.
ATTENTION!! step away from that mg.its a horrible amp
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by blue_strat
You could probably get a good 30 watt tube combo for about the same price, and it would be as loud as the 100 watt solid state MG. And sound a lot better.

Definitely. Or, failing that, a decent SS amp, such as the Vox Valvetronix.
I used to own a Marshall MG100DFX, and in my experience...

1. Yes it will be loud enough to gig for a couple of hundred people, so long as it's indoors.

2. I owned it for 2 years and I it worked perfectly.

3. It doesn't sound great. It has got plenty of effects and lots of distortion, but none of its features are particularly good and the whole package can sound flat and lifeless. It is not the worst amp in the world, like so many users on this site claim, but you'd be better off spending your money on a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube (although I would recommend the Vox, personally).

EDIT: You could always get a small (but loud) valve amp for a little more money, but first ask yourself if reliability and on-board effects are currently higher up on your list of needs than a tonal difference you might not even notice yet anyway.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Sep 5, 2007,
My price range is about up to £300 and I play indie rock music like Libertines, The View, Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, however I own an OD20 pedal so I can get all the effects I want with that.

Cheers.
See if you can try out a Laney VC30 112
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
You could definitely get a valve amp with that. The Laney VC30 is worth a look. Or perhaps a used Fender Blues Jr. or, if you're gigging, used Hot Rod Deluxe. A valve amp would definitely give you better tones for that sort of music.
Used classic 30, Laney VC30 (as mentioned), or a used jcm 800/900 would be great for those styles. The mg is pure ****. If you really don't want to go tube (although I can't really see why), check out the Vox valvetronix range.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Rahab
Another Fuc*king Marshall Mg Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Fuc*ing spam post!!!!!!!!!!!! *reported*

Used Classic 30 or VC30 are good choices, but the JCMs are metal amps, the 900 more so than the 800.
use the bloody search button, these threads are becoming very annoying
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
you could get a Valveking 112 for that, which isn't too bad
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear: