Well, yeah. I've been looking around at these, since Ravi Shankar is a primary musical influence of mine. Though I plan on eventually buying and learning to play the actual sitar, this'll be good enough for now.

Question is, what make would be good enough for now......

Basically, I'm looking for something that A) isn't as crappy as the $300 Rogue electric sitars, and B) isn't as freakin' expensive as the Jerry Jones sitars.

Something that sounds good, but isn't overly expensive. Anyone have any advice as to what to do about this?

Or, if that doesn't work, anyone know a place that makes electric sitar "buzz bridges" I can attach to a normal guitar?
....stole my avatar
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
....stole my avatar

Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.
......the hell? I stole mine from another site, man, I had no idea you had your's until I noticed a few nights ago. don't go blaming me.
Quote by david_highland

dude...
totally sigged
Quote by david_highland

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by Wulver
......the hell? I stole mine from another site, man, I had no idea you had your's until I noticed a few nights ago. don't go blaming me.

Lies.....
So, what's the chances of this thread actually producing something, you know, helpful to me at this point? You guys have been here awhile, you'd know....

EDIT: ah. thanks for actually contributing something, post below this one. Yeah, I've considered something like that, but, I dunno, that would just come across as an odd-sounding guitar. I'd like to at least have an odd-looking guitar making the odd sound, if that makes sense....
Last edited by Wulver at Sep 5, 2007,
wwell, i don't know about a buzz bridge, but what you may be able to do is take an electric guitar, put it in an open tuning, and put a Fernandes Sustainer pickup on it, and mayby play the top or bottom 3 strings as drone strings. thats just my guess.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by Wulver
So, what's the chances of this thread actually producing something, you know, helpful to me at this point? You guys have been here awhile, you'd know....

EDIT: ah. thanks for actually contributing something, post below this one. Yeah, I've considered something like that, but, I dunno, that would just come across as an odd-sounding guitar. I'd like to at least have an odd-looking guitar making the odd sound, if that makes sense....

oh yeah...well I saw one of those rogue ones, but I hate rogue, so I figured I'd take one of those bridges you were talking about and puting it on one of the guitars I already have....In my opinion, that's the best way to go, but FYI, what ever is cheapest is usualy in my eyes the best way to go. Oh, and my friend had one of those digitech rp80 multi-fx pedals, and modled a sitar effect on it, the rp80 sales for around $80 now, but you can get the new line of rp pedals, which are supposed to be way better...I just orderd the rp250 ($150) , can't wait till it gets hear.
Last edited by david_highland at Sep 6, 2007,
dammit... i played an okay sitar in london a few weeks ago... can't remember what it was. If you're lucky you could find one of the original danelectro sitars. Jerry jones sitars are basically more expensive copies of these instruments from the '60s.

some alternatives are - if you have a 3-saddle tele, you can get special saddles that apparently give it a sitar-like buzzy sound from thomann.de

also the line 6 variax has a pretty good electric sitar sound on it. it does have some tracking issues, but the variax 300 isn't that expensive.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well, yeah, the Jerry Jones do seem overpriced, especially when compared to the old models, but the Supreme Sitar they have is, quite frankly, incredibly awesome.

And I had a look at those Variax things, rather interesting, but I haven't checked any sound samples yet.

actually, I just noticed something called the "Italia Modena" sitar, about $600 or so....need to investigate this further....
Hey dudes & dudettes, nobody's mentioned the recent offering from Electro Harmonix, the "Ravish Sitar".. Pretty clever name huh? I'm jealous that I didn't think of it first. I haven't heard it yet, but I'll bet that founder Mike Matthews has come up with something awesome, just the way he has time after time in the past! Well, anyway, it's a stompbox, and nope I haven't heard it yet. But I'm making a pet project out of learning the fundamental operating concepts & first principles of the design and function of a true buzz bridge, and I hope to learn enough to develop a simple add-on buzz bridge that converts to a regular bridge at the flip of a lever. This notion is new to me, but I realize that such a bridge may already exist. I don't want to waste my time tinkering unless the bridge I make will function flawlessly and reliably for life, like a Bigsby or something. What do you folks know about other homespun buzzers? How do you arrange for the string to not "fret out" on the bridge as you play notes in the highest registers, and the downward angle of the string approaches maximum? Has any of you ever had a chance to examine the bridge on a real sitar? Might the string angle thing on any kind of sitar be problematic in some way, even on a real acoustic one? The electric sitar on most classic recording doesn't seem to feature any prominent droning sounds much. It seems to serve well by just the singular feature of the buzz bridge, and so I think it would be sufficiently effective, or at least effectively sufficient, for putting one on a regular guitar that has no drone strings. I still have a suspicion that on a sitar the buzz is created by a string slot that is long and curved so tha some part of the string near the bridge is making slight contact and buzzing out like a bad saddle slot would maybe the part that contacts the string to make it buzz could be positioned to the SIDE of the string and then instead of having fretting issues and intonation issues, you would have bending issues. I'm now wondering if it seems not all that crucial to have the string buzz for the entire time it sustains a note. It may be that if any of us were to listen to "Green Tambourine", "Games People Play", or the beatles' "Within You Without You on the Sgt. Pepper album, we may possibly notice whether or not the buzz fades out rather quickly, and the instrument is not often heard playing long sustained note, IT may also be that this short buzz is enough to give the desired sound. If so, you could have the "buzz" part of each saddle located far enough from the string to not be a concern for fretting, bending, or intonation. For the drone enthusiast you could fashion a solid wood mini-harp with 12 drone strings and possibly hook it up with sustainiac pickups that are fed a portion of the regular output of the main pickups! Are I smart, or what? Come to think of it, such a drone device would have no real need to be attached to the guitar! I'd still want to use spruce. So there, folks take this ball and run with it! Sombody's gotta be the FIRST...
AS far as going out & buying an electric sitar outright, I'd have no problem with the notion of buying a Rogue. For one thing, we are in a golden age of guitar making, and almost any minor flaws found can be dealt with. In some cases, swapping out parts and doing a simple thing like dressing the fret ends and dicking with the tension rod can turn most low-cost guitars into singing beauties. Shucks, many of the cheapies even have smooth tuners! You can find yourself having a whale of a good time refining the accuracy of the nut slots, snugging a few loose bolts, and setting up the intonation without having to beg a banker for money, and some guitar shops and music stores always seem to have a good used pickup or two in the repair department, or even one of the sales staff has something at home. I am in no way implying that a Rogue might even need any upgraded parts, since I've never had a chance to get my grubby mitts all over one, yet. But not so long ago, we always expected to have to do those things to any guitar we ever had. My Franken-Tele will never have any significant re-sale or collector value after I totally messed up just about everything on it or in it. I couldn't be happier that it is my own unique ruinage, and I have got off playing it for decades and have never regretted making permanent alterations to it! Who cares what it would be worth to a collector, they made 'em by the tens of thousands and still do! So, go ahead -- you have my official permission to carve your wife's name on the headstock of your D-45! It's YOUR guitar, and YOUR life, and those whiners wetting themselves about how you "destroyed" its value ain't YOU!! And your guitar ain't THEIRS!! They are crying because some guy put Bridgestone tires on his Mercedes(A damn good tire, BTW), and meanwhile, they drive a Yugo... Or else, they play a PRS, and each night they pray to the Plastic Gods that their binding doesn't turn out to be the same as the binding on my old Gretsch! These things were made for the purpose of being used, and I never refuse to let anybody get crazy with my stuff. Well, I'm actually pretty anal about some idiot ripping the grille cloth on my amp trying to "help" me load out... I'm making the point that you can find what you want as a starting point and after some evaluation, YOU are the one who gets to decide what needs to be fixed or altered. I had no compunction about cutting holes in the pickguard of the Gretsch when it was only six years old, to install a phase-reverse switch, and I still don't regret that, either... Ready to do this? On your mark..