Can you guys give me some tips on writing upbeat and more cheerful hard rock riffs please. I would like to create some riffs sort of in the upbeat style aerosmith and deep purple have.

btw please don't just put major key etc. i want some tips on writing riffs and licks from scratch as i'm kinda new to guitar (few months)
listin to a song and try to play it without lookin at a tab...

allot of artist write there riffs like that,some just wont admit it..
Alot of the up-beat-ness is to do with what the drums are playing, for example if the guitars are playing quite a fast riff and the drums are also playing fast, then the drums start playing in half time, that changes the feel of the riff quite dramatically.

However its not all up to the drums, I know it's cleshayed(dunno how to spell it), but the best thing to do is experiment. Another more constructive method may be to listen to some upbeat stuff and try and work out what is going on, then try and apply that to what you want to do. Like chord progressions that are commonlly used. I just though of this as im typing :
[DISCLAIMER - I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS PART OF A SONG, IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE GENERIC HAPPY RIFF NUMBER 1, OK?]

E||-----------------------|--------------------------||
B||-----------------------|--------------------------||
G||--5-------7-------9----|--L-----------------------||
D||--5-------7-------9----|--L-----------------------||
A||--3-------5-------7----|--L-----------------------||
E||-------0-------0-------|-----0--0--0--0--0--0--0--||

L - Tied note

You could also try playing the major third on top of a powerchord, or the bottom of a major barre chord:

-----|
-----|
--4--|
--5--|
--5--|
--3--|

As i said, experimentation is the key
Also try playing reggae/ska choards. They always give an upbeat feel. Look up the tab for Keasby Nights by Catch22... you'll see what I mean.
My Setup: Fender Mex. Stratocaster Standard using Duncan pickups through a Boss ME50 out of a Fender FM212R