I've got 300 to spend and I want input on what gear I should get my current layout is:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone Studio 10S (came with the guitar)
2 cables a Monster and the one that came with the guitar and amp
Digitech Screamin' Blues pedal

It's mostly between a new guitar or amp any recommendations would be appreciated. Been playing since April and this'll be my second amp or guitar and modifications to my current gear (new bridge, pickups, etc.) is out of the question seeing as my parents will kill me if if i screw something up.
Last edited by GreenburgGibson at Sep 5, 2007,
New amp most definately. An Epiphone valve standard combo should be a good buy. much better than ur current amp by far. Or a Valve jr. stack and an EQ pedal would be good as well. If u want a new guitar, an Ibanez would be good or a Squier Vintage Modified guitar woul be a good buy. But definately get a new amp first.
I would get a new amp. I would suggest the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT. I would suggest also working on a new guitar, because what you have... well its awful bro. Hopefully the amp can get a nice tone out of it for now.
Well i'd get a vox ad30vt. You cant get a that good of a guitar with just 300. or you could save up 400 and get an sg or somethin.
get a new guitar [coming from a fellow special 2 user]

your gonna hate that thing when you try and get better that power chords
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
How dare you tell someone to guy something like the SpiderIII! That is without a doubt the WORST amp I have played on. The sound is just plain electronic... unless you want to sound like Panic at the Disco then I suggest to stay away from it. If you do want to take his semi-advice though, I would suggest a Roland Cube. Can't go wrong with it. Or an Orange, but they tend to get a bit costly.
Amp.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
New amp would be my suggestion

What kind of music do you play?

Mainly blues (mostly just SRV), metal, classic rock, hard rock, punk rock (the Ramones mainly).
yeah go with an ibanez

try for used/cheap ones

altough the only i found that could get agood classic rock tone wass the s470/520
Quote by metul kult

Quote by GreenburgGibson
Mainly blues (mostly just SRV), metal, classic rock, hard rock, punk rock (the Ramones mainly).

Well the Vox Valvetronix that a few folks mentioned would be pretty good, definitely a nice step up from your current amp.

They're are some nice 5 watt tube amps in that price range as well, like the Epi VJ and the Fender Champ (you'd probably would want a pedal with them though, seeing how they only have a volume control and need to be cranked for some od). The Crate Palomino V8 would be a worth a look too. It's also a 5 watt tube amp like the VJ and Champ but has gain and tone controls, which makes it more friendly for the bedroom
hmm hard to say really, but i think id get a new guitar. guitars are always nicer to look at than amps

some people will hate at the cheapness, but you can get some great stuff at rondomusic.com. ive got a les paul copy that i paid $250 from them that looks terrific and my friends never believe that i paid just $250 (i think it was the al-2500 model). anyway, id check em out if i were you, you might find something you like.
Quote by david_highland
New amp, and new patch chords (cables).

Cables are the least of his worries. Unless you have like a 3000 dollar amp, and are recording something, I doubt you'll notice the difference in a patch cord.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
save up and get a nicer amp but really you should just go buy a used amp that you like and that is a great deal....dont buy new amps its a waste theres one just as good used....may not look as pretty but works just as well
Don't get anything it's pointless, you've been playign since april. You kids piss me off. My first 2 years of playing I had an alright washburn a 5 watt amp with no distortion and that was it. You wont even know what to do with a new amp other than crank the distorion to 10. Getting more gear this early on will make it easier for you to learn to use effects and equipment to cover up flaws in your playing. This is why most hobby guitarists suck, because they for some reason have all the money and drown themselfs in new **** before they really deserve what they are buying. Just wait a while save up and by the time you've made some progress you'll have enough to get something decent isntead of another bargain amp or guitar.
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Save your money for a while longer. You need a new guitar and amp. You haven't been playing long. If I were you I would take the guitar to the music store and have a setup done by a tech, only about $30 and your guitar will play much better. This will allow you to progress. Learn technique and practice. Keep reading UG and learn. Then you will know more about what you want.
I think its funny that a 17 year old is calling a 14 year old a kid. Oh well I remember when I was that age (long, long ago.)
Quote by Grapejuiceksjdf
Don't get anything it's pointless, you've been playign since april. You kids piss me off. My first 2 years of playing I had an alright washburn a 5 watt amp with no distortion and that was it. You wont even know what to do with a new amp other than crank the distorion to 10. Getting more gear this early on will make it easier for you to learn to use effects and equipment to cover up flaws in your playing. This is why most hobby guitarists suck, because they for some reason have all the money and drown themselfs in new **** before they really deserve what they are buying. Just wait a while save up and by the time you've made some progress you'll have enough to get something decent isntead of another bargain amp or guitar.

and you people piss me off

so what hes new and he wants new gear
he came here for advice some to tell him that he sucks
ive been playing since about april too and look at what ive got =D
i know what to do wiht an amp other thatn cranck it to 10
it teaches you to use all your assets and not just paly power chords on after another
Quote by metul kult

Quote by envoykrawkwar7
and you people piss me off

so what hes new and he wants new gear
he came here for advice some to tell him that he sucks
ive been playing since about april too and look at what ive got =D
i know what to do wiht an amp other thatn cranck it to 10
it teaches you to use all your assets and not just paly power chords on after another

exactly most of the reasons i want new stuff is to pactice hammer ons and pull offs which my current rig just cant do effectively even at full volume and who the hell are u callin a kid last time i checked a sophmore whos 6'2" isnt a kid
2004 PRS Santana SE w/Duncan JB(b)/Jazz(n)
(cable)
Way Huge Green Rhino Overdrive Mk. II
(cable)
Dunlop KH-95 Kirk Hammett Crybaby
(cable)
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
a new amp. and NOT an MG.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by Grapejuiceksjdf

Dude, crappy gear covers up flaws more than nice gear. When I got my EPI VJ last month I though I sounded like sh*t. I was all like "ow weel eets tah tubees!" Now I sound a little bit better, but the nicer gear made me realize the flaws in my technique and now I'm playing longer than before. I know I've been playing longer, but if it will do the same thing to this kid that it did to me, is that a crime?

Anyways, you don't need to come to an internet forum and make assumptions about this guy. You don't know how much he's progressed, and you obviously don't know how he likes to set his amp. If he does get a nice amp, I'm sure it would only make his ear for tone come faster, and improve his technique. Good gear doesn't cover up mistakes, infact it does the exact opposite.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Guys "don't feed the trolls." Anyway I agree with Cort. I only advise getting the guitar setup so it plays better. If I had it I could fix it and I'm not even a tech. $300 isn't enough to get a decent guitar and amp, at least not a heck of alot better than what you've got. Spend $30 and save $270 to get new gear later. No use in buying closets full of gear you won't want six months from now. Delayed gratification.
Quote by uldhppi
Guys "don't feed the trolls." Anyway I agree with Cort. I only advise getting the guitar setup so it plays better. If I had it I could fix it and I'm not even a tech. $300 isn't enough to get a decent guitar and amp, at least not a heck of alot better than what you've got. Spend $30 and save $270 to get new gear later. No use in buying closets full of gear you won't want six months from now. Delayed gratification.

True. Although I'd still recommend a slightly better amp. Those practice amps you get in packages (trust me, after going to a guitar shop and agressively trying tube amps, then tried to trade in mine for $10, I was denied. Now it is in pieces under my bed) aren't worth a dime. I had one and it covered up all my mistakes. My playing was pretty much, total crap.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by uldhppi
At least you had fun smashing it.

True! And there were parts to salvage. Infact I'm using the metal corners and feet for my cab.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by dustnbones316
what i recommend you do is buy like a 200 dollar amp (such as this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-30-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482275)
and then spend the extra 100 on a new bridge (or neck, depending on which one you use more) pickup for your guitar (go for like a 70 dollar one, because a standard pickup change is usually 30 bucks or so)
Don't listen. The Spider= POS
Just throw the money into the garbage, you'll get the same result only faster.
if ur looking for just a guitar get a epiphone lespaul 100 u can get one for 249 awsome deal..

Also ibanez is a very VERY over looked guitar brand.. they are band for buck you wont get the gibson look or the fender look but you will get a damn fine guitar for your money..same with peavey guitars over looked.