So basically last year I decided I would try out this program, and I switched schools and everything to do it. But it seems like this program consumes your entire life, and is an overwhelming pile of stress. I do not have any optional courses except for one. However, it supposedly helps you tremendously to get into universities, earn scholarships, etc. Anyone shed some light? Is the program really worth it?
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
it's not worth it. you have to do 2 hours more homework than you would, they make you attend gay crap like meetings, and you have to be in a photo together in the year book. that's how it is in florida, atleast.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
I have some friends in IB in Florida. u have tons of homework, lots of dumb stuff to do like mentioned above. But it would help ur resume for college if u just get into the classes or go for a year.
i go to a school that's IB everything and only IB. it's worse than you could ever ****ing imagine. i just started my senior year and im ready to have a nervous breakdown. my confidence has been shattered and its really hard to stay with your friends becuase you have no ****ing time ever. youre basically throwing your high school years away 100%. i shouldnt even be venting right on the friggin internet right now, i have no time. wa;ofudajnsgjkabHDWFVDFW.
the course work is overblown, and colleges pretty much piss themselves to get you in... seriously, as someone who's actually IN IB, do it.

EDIT: Ignore him^^

REEDIT: and him vv
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Sep 5, 2007,
Right, I'm in my second year of the IB programme, let me break it down for you...

Academically, it's hard, sh*t hard. Subject matter is tougher than A-level standard, and you need to handle six at once, as I'm sure you already know. For the next 2 weeks I have to hand in a 15 minute-long music composition, maths and English coursework pieces and my Extended Essay first draft (10,000 words, TEN THOUSAND). That doesn't include regular homework set in the meantime either, or the time I need to spend doing clubs for CAS.

You need a disproportionately good grade to get into a good university. Universities don't understand the IB, no matter what they try to tell you. Plenty of my friends in the year above got rejected from their first choice courses because their universities didn't seem to care that they had more UCAS points (a standardised system that tells universities what a qualification is worth in comparison to others) than the required A level grades.

HOWEVER if you get a high grade (about 37 or above) then most universities will lap you up, it's just something that's much harder to achieve than it would be with A levels.

Another upside is that CAS is easily completed and very rewarding if you put the effort in, although it is quite time consuming.

In my opinion, the IB is for the most academically capable students who can get grades high enough to really stand out. For example, if I achieve what I'm predicted then I should be awarded a place at a high ranking university, if you use the UCAS points tariff, but I won't be because higher education institutions just don't seem to bother with something that exists specifically to make sure that all qualifications are judged equally.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm referring solely to British universities, I'm not sure where you're from, threadstarter.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Sep 5, 2007,
It does not give you much of an edge on others at all, many colleges in the Us look more at AP still than they do IB. You might be better off sticking with AP, and the problem with IB is that there is SL and HL test. Most universities don't accept Sl test, and alot of your final test just may be SL.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
the course work is overblown, and colleges pretty much piss themselves to get you in... seriously, as someone who's actually IN IB, do it.

EDIT: Ignore him^^

REEDIT: and him vv

Look mate, I don't want to start an argument with you, but exactly why are you telling the TS to ignore me? I'm doing the IB too, so don't tell me that my opinions aren't as valid as yours. So what, you find it easy? Are you doing a full diploma, with TOK etc? If so, then good for you and I hope you get the grades that you're after, but you must know that plenty of people struggle with the course.
It can be hard as hell, or really quite easy. It depends on your teachers. I don't do hours of homework every night like people say. Then again if I wanted to I could easily find things to do. You get what you put into it.
Oh Shit!
Quote by shakysam
Look mate, I don't want to start an argument with you, but exactly why are you telling the TS to ignore me? I'm doing the IB too, so don't tell me that my opinions aren't as valid as yours. So what, you find it easy? Are you doing a full diploma, with TOK etc? If so, then good for you and I hope you get the grades that you're after, but you must know that plenty of people struggle with the course.

yes, I'm doing the full diploma and all of that jazz. it seems like you've got more stuff to do in the UK, same with the guy from florida. I guess the workload's different from school to school.
Oh **** my gf in IB I hope she has time for me. But a bunch of my friends started today they havn't even got there work yet and there already stressed to the max.
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
yes, I'm doing the full diploma and all of that jazz. it seems like you've got more stuff to do in the UK, same with the guy from florida. I guess the workload's different from school to school.

Perhaps, but maybe you just work harder

You're right, there are some people who will think "this isn't so bad," and colleges might understand it better where you're from, but in England one won't get the university place that one's hard work deserves if one gets a low score, I've seen it happen.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, I'm predicted a 31. I know that it's far from the best grade, but at least it proves that I'm not some drop-out who can't handle any work
Last edited by shakysam at Sep 5, 2007,
If you do IB in europe, australia, or pretty much anywhere but the US, it can be your best friend. AP in the US is worth tons more than IB. But, if you are in the US and you do IB, it's very worth it to apply to schools in France, England, Australia (Especially 'Group of Eight' schools).
^not really. IB and AP's GPA are the same, both go up to 6.0. and IB is supposed to be slightly more difficult.
you get a lot more homework and it's harder but the benefits are you get more interesting work, better teachers(generally) and it helps a bit in university. i can see why people wouldn't want to do it, but it's compleatly manageable.