So recently I bought a 2 gig MP3 player. It said on the box that it could hold around 1000 songs. So I uploaded some songs on there are only got around 350. What the hell!? Are you supposed to convert the files into a smaller file type or what? Because I'd really like more songs on my MP3 player.
Om nom nom nom!
thats just a general number, say if your songs are around 2mb each, just look at the size
heh, as far as my music colleciton is concerned
I'd get about 280 songs onto 2 gigs

Quote by Steve The Plank
Sure, you can listen to 1000 songs.

1000 songs running in the ****tiest quality.

or 100 two minute Misfits songs
Do you really need more than 350 songs on your MP3 player at any one time? I, for one, am always changing the music on and off my MP3 player because I tend to get sick of it.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Most mp3 players, the amount of songs is estimated to be:

A.) Under 4 minutes in length for each song
or
B.) Each song is a certain size.

My mp3 player can hold 7500 songs, but due to long tracks and bigger file sizes, its only got ~3000, with the mp3 player 4/5 of the way full
search for a program called dBpoweramp, it's a sound file converter you can use to size down your mp3s

the lowest bitrate i can live with is 128kpbs
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
For 1000 songs to fit on that thing, it would have to be all really really short songs, or compressed at 64kbs.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by tzmen23
it depends on how big each song is

Size DOES matter
United as One, Divided by Zero
I have a 2 gig Nano - I think I have about 285 songs on it packed full. I listen to lots or prog. rock/metal so longer songs, plus I rip everything at 192kbps so its a higher file size.

Sony's mps players come with "Sonic Stage" thats converts file sized to about half without comprimising too much quality - but who really needs 1000 songs on the go anyways. I have ADD and 285 is more then enough to allow me to flip through songs every few minutes

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Wayward_Son
For 1000 songs to fit on that thing, it would have to be all really really short songs, or compressed at 64kbs.

well, taking 128kilobits per second

(2 gigabytes) / (128 (kilobits per second)) = 36.4088889 hours

(36.4 hours) / 1 000 = 2.18400 minutes

so you'd fit 1000 two minute songs (which is probably the length of an average pop song :-/ ) if they were all encoded at 128kbps
They mean you could get on 1000 songs of the lowest possible quality, and if they're all 3 minutes long.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by catchy phrase
This is why I hate it when people measure size in terms of number of songs.

I didn't buy it because it said it could hold 1000 songs. I've heard other people have gotten that many so I was wondering how the hell they did it.
Om nom nom nom!
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
They mean you could get on 1000 songs of the lowest possible quality, and if they're all 3 minutes long.

at a glance
lame seems to be able to go down to 8kbps

and some rough calculations, that means like 8000 songs (however, it'll sound like 1920s radio)