What do people think of these amps ?

Might look into getting one as I like the idea of being able to move between 5 and 25 watts.

Guitar owned - Gibson LP
Music - AC/DC - Kiss - Guns n Roses
I didn't like it- the OD sounded kind of unnatural (a good smooth OD might help), and it's got mesa cleans to be sure- thin and dry. If you don't need a clean tone and just wanted to put a blues driver in front of it, I think it would be a pretty cool amp (the 5/25w switch is kind of nice).
I really liked it on the 5w setting. It was pretty loud for five watts, but the gain was really nice.
Its plain preamp gain wasn't as nice as I'd like, but cranking it it sounded amazing. I must say I haven't tried the 25w setting yet though.
I was dissapointed by it, but then, I was expecting a metal amp by what it's replacing (F series), though I think it'd be good for what you want to play on it. It's not a very heavy amp by any means.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Roc8995
I didn't like it- the OD sounded kind of unnatural (a good smooth OD might help), and it's got mesa cleans to be sure- thin and dry. If you don't need a clean tone and just wanted to put a blues driver in front of it, I think it would be a pretty cool amp (the 5/25w switch is kind of nice).

Wow really? I tried the 5:50 and it was nothing like that. The 5:50 had cleans competable with Fenders. Turning the gain down on the clean channel produced the Fender sterile twang, and turning the gain up produced warm auditory sex. I thought the gain sounded awesome, expecially for classic rock, as long as you were turning up both the gain and volume relatively high(better be on 5 watt setting for home use).
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Originally Posted by Roc8995

CortNoob wrote:
Wow really? I tried the 5:50 and it was nothing like that. The 5:50 had cleans competable with Fenders. Turning the gain down on the clean channel produced the Fender sterile twang, and turning the gain up produced warm auditory sex. I thought the gain sounded awesome, expecially for classic rock, as long as you were turning up both the gain and volume relatively high(better be on 5 watt setting for home use).

I'm with Cortnoob on this one, although I'll speak to the 5:25, which I preferred to the 5:50 (the 5:25 has el84 tubes for a Voxy/Marshally British vibe, whereas the 5:50 has 6l6s). I own a 5:25 and have had a very different experience than what Roc8995 described.

The cleans on the 5:25 have a Voxy chime to them, and the spring reverb is really sweet. Sparing use of the contour function on the clean channel will yield a lovely sparkle. I was initially looking at a VoxAC30, but the 2x12 was too big for my apartment, and I wanted an amp with more gain to play NWOBHM songs.

I don't think you would need a blues driver for this amp -- the blues setting on channel 2 would take care of this for you.

The 5W setting works best for the blues and clean settings (if you like your clean w a little break-up), and the 25W setting has a tighter bass & works better for hard rock and traditional metal tones. It is a loud amp, and to my ear the 10" speaker is just fine -- if you really need more, hook it up to an extension cab.

This is a really good small, portable amp intended for cleans, blues, and what was considered high gain in the 80s. It won't do numetal or much in the way of thrash without additional effects. From those I have spoken to, and from reviews I have read, the folks who are disappointed with this amp wish it were more like the F-series of amps it replaced (i.e. voiced more for metal than cleans). I a/b'd an F30 and Express 5:25 and preferred the tones of the Express. If all you play is metal, you can probably find a more suitable amp than the Express series.

I think it would be a great amp for your ACDC, GNR, etc. It does classic rock really well.

This amp is not for everybody (but which amp is?). BUT for those of us who don't expect the amp to do numetal without effects, it is a wonderful! But hey -- don't take our word for it, check it out for yourself! Also, GuitarPlayer magazine has a review of this amp on video from one of their summer issues. There's also a really crummy demo of this amp on Youtube, but don't let that turn you off =^)

Check out my review of it in the review section of this forum if you want more details -- as well as criticism -- about this amp.
I thought it was lacking something, the cleans were the only thing i was mildly impressed with. The gain was far too grainy and not warm enough for my liking, needless to say it wont be replacing the Mark IV or Roadking as my GAS mesa boogie.
^ It is true that the Express isn't a Mark IV or Road King, but it is about half the price!