OK, I play bass in marching band, and in our show, there's a drum break, and the director said it would be kinda cool if I played too. Any suggestions for scales, etc. I could use?
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
Nothing wrong with A or E minor pentatonic.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
G|------------------0h2h3-3-3-2-2-2-0-0-0----------------------------
D|-------------0h2-----------------------------2p0-----------------------
A|-----0h1h2---------------------------------------2p1p0---------------
E|0h3-------------------------------------------------------3~~~~~~0

Try that riff (Minor Blues scale riff)
If it was EASY to play guitar , everyone would be like ME
Cool, thanks. Our drummers are good, but all they play are rap/hip-hopp sounding cadences....
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.
never knew they had bass in marching band, is it an upright bass or acoustic or something?

sorry i've never really been in to marching band
most likely electric, there was a bass player in my schools marching band, but he never played anything with an audience
dude, ur the bassist for ur marchin band too? sweet, so am i! as for a scale, just see what kind of scales are commonly used throughout the song that ur playin in.

whats ur show?
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
We're doing Lord of the Rings, the drumbreak, and then the Pirates of the Carribean theme.

Yeah, it's electric bass.

I was thinking that slap would be really cool.
Quote by musicianamedave

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.
Yes, I plan on it.
Quote by musicianamedave

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.
HEY!! im the bassist in my school's marching band too!! youre band director is cool to let you do that. you guys have decent music too! ours sux we play Come sail away my wayword sun>feelslike the first time>More than a fealing>come sail away.
(POO POO POO and to make it even worse the music is EEEZZ as #$ the only hard song we play is disco inferno and that is a stand tune)
My band director is crap we have a horn solo in one of our pieces that is EZ and i can play it way better,cleaner but he wont let me do it because he wants a horn sound but you can never hear the horn do his solo and if you could it sounds like blatted crap.

can you PM what you run youre bass thru in band? we use a Roland KC550 that cant handle low end worth a crap even tho it has a 15'' speaker on it and the tweeter is crossed over at an annoying frequincy and ALL it doeas is buzz anoyingly. it works it just ALLWays buzzes no matter what you have plugged into it. it sounds OK with my Tech21 bass driver DI as a preamp but the lows are WAY louder than the highs and it just farts on the low end when bass is cranked for a $600 amp you would expect more bottom.
THEN last year he has buys the KC350 for the keyboard to play thru when he should have let the keyboard use the 550 and spent the money on a decent bass amp like a fender bassman hell even a peavy TNT or what have you. oh well this is my last year and i wont have to put up with it anymore.

Wierdly enough tho, there was a roland elecric drumkit plugged into the KC550 at Guitarcenter and the bass was cranked all the way and it sounded frieking awsome. i seam to be a melon magnet or something??

as to youre question use the scale that youre band plays in (it's probably Bbmaj or Fmaj could be different) or use the relative minor to the key you are in. you can use pentatonic if you want but i find pentatonic scales rather limiting because you subtract 2(or was it 3) notes away from youre scale

you should focus more on the rythem then technical,fast playing. dont just make it a bunch of notes make it mostly rythem.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Sep 6, 2007,
Quote by Mr. Thingy
We're doing Lord of the Rings, the drumbreak, and then the Pirates of the Carribean theme.

Yeah, it's electric bass.

I was thinking that slap would be really cool.

sweet, we do those in our band too, not marching though.
Led Zeppelin
ahh sweet. ours is One More Time Chuck Corea, Bolero, and Malaguena. Its some incredible stuff. look up those tracks if u get the chance.

but for the solo, try and mix some patterns from the bass drums and from the tenors to get some ideas for accents and note changes and such.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Wow, I seriously thought I was the only person to play bass in marching band. In fact, I'm playing tonight at the football game. We're only doing the star spangled banner and "Land of Make Believe" by Chuck Mangione for now.

I don't march with the bass, I play in the pit with the other nonmovable instruments. I may get a wireless and do formations with them soon. I run an american P-Bass into a fender pa/keyboard amp. Meh, works.

Our director's giving me a three measure solo. Woot!
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
^^^ We did that one last year! I was the only one who liked it though.
Quote by musicianamedave

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.