Not sure if this belongs here or not, but:

All right, so my first full jazz band practice is tomorrow, and I might have to audition for the part, even though there are only two of us that signed up for the guitar part. Even though I might not get the part cause the other guitarist is a bit better than me,
I could still play the trombone (there are only 2, and there's a big shortage of low brass players) but I really want to play. The whole reason I joined was to hopefully learn theory and technique, be more dedicated to playing, get some more "formal", for lack of a better word, training/practice.

So I'm practicing chord switching, standard notation, other things and looking at a bit of theory lessons on here. If I have to audition, does anyone have song or scale suggestions for me to practice?

Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
Last edited by Ikilledkenny at Sep 5, 2007,
simple, while the kid is walkin down the street run him over with your car.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
blues scales

A LOT

i'm in my school's jazz band too, so i know the feeling, and in the jazz band here, everyone ends up having a chance to try soloing, no matter what section they're in

anyway, maybe there is a chance your jazz band leader, or whoever directs the whole thing, will allow a second guitarist into the jazz band(originally ours had two bassists, so you never know)
for my jazz band, its basically if you can sight read. so work on your sight reading. and work on the really weird jazz chords and changes. even if the other guitarist is better, if he cant sight read as well, youll probably make it. at least thats what would happen at my school.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

If you don't already, know all the notes on the fretboard. Really helps to know that kind of stuff for an audition.

If it's a jazz band, play a jazz song. I would transcribe a jazz song that's played on some other instrument like the sax or something onto guitar.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by guitar_amateur
blues scales

A LOT

i'm in my school's jazz band too, so i know the feeling, and in the jazz band here, everyone ends up having a chance to try soloing, no matter what section they're in

anyway, maybe there is a chance your jazz band leader, or whoever directs the whole thing, will allow a second guitarist into the jazz band(originally ours had two bassists, so you never know)

I use modes a helluva lot more than blues scales in jazz.
Member of the grammar nazis.

Quote by Firenze

I remember the first time I "shaved" my pubes. I'm not gonna go into details, but I will tell you this: to this day, I don't understand why I thought using a combat knife would be a good idea...
the pentatonic scale... just learn one pattern of that scale and you can do many many things with that.
you would do well to know your modes... even if you dont know how to use them in context just yet. and learn a couple jazz chord progressions (autumn leaves or something)
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Well, we both are only good at reading tab, but she is better, I'm not sure if she knows notation. I hope we both can make it in (same with the basses, my friend on electric, and the other guy on upright) since the biggest issue right now is the percussionists, cause we have 4 drummers/percussionists, although one guy wants to go to the concert band cause that's what he signed up for. Thanks for the suggestions, although it would help for some sources. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier.
i cant see a problem with having 2 guitarists, my schools jazz band did last year, and it was never really an issue, except volume because we were always louder than everything else.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Quote by tuluks
the pentatonic scale... just learn one pattern of that scale and you can do many many things with that.

Pentatonic scales are very limited. I've been getting into jazz more, and i don't use the pentatonic scale much for solos. I've been using modes more then anything else.
We had two guitarists in jazz band last year and neither of us had to audition. The biggest concern in jazz band is being able to sightread and comp chords. You probably won't be reading many single line melodies at all - the majority will be reading the chords off a lead sheet.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Ikilledkenny

, get some more "rormal", for lack of a better word, training/practice.

if there is a better word than "rormal" i don't want to know it
The internet kicks my ass on a regular basis.
Quote by Dunter4
if there is a better word than "rormal" i don't want to know it

Oh, whoops, I meant formal My mistake, I'll fix it.
Quote by Ikilledkenny
Well, we both are only good at reading tab

Then I suggest you get very good at reading notation, before any of this other stuff people are mentioning..
Okay the result is that I'm one of the guitarists, but the girl got cut. She auditioned but she said she might be switching out or something, but it sorta sucks since she's nice and sort of crazy, but not in a bad way. The other guitarist hasn't come to class yet, but from what one of the bassist said, he's good and he actually plays jazz and such.
Thanks for the help