I'm kind of interested in it because I play a lot in drop D and C. But I'm not real sure on a few things about it...

Firstly, what exactly does it do to help the dropped tuning? I've seen a lot of basses on Talkbass with the key installed and people commenting on how they benefit dropped tuning, but I'm not sure how.

Do I have to buy a whole set of dropped keys, or can I just buy the individual D key?

I'd be surprised if they didn't make them fitted for Fender basses, because Fender is THE bass company. But assuming they don't and I have to drill through my headstock to make it fit, would it be worth the extra work, or am I just better off with stock key?

Does it do anything to help the "floppy dick" syndrome that the low C string experiences on normal basses?

And anything else you think I should know, would be nice.

Thanks in advance for the help.
First of all, I'm not sure if you quite know what the key does. Simply put, you can drop from E to D and from B to A with the flick of a switch. Just hit the lever, and that string gets dropped. Quite simple.

As far as fitting a Fender, they have keys for pretty much every retrofit you can think of; even reverse-tuner vintage Fenders. Hell, I complained that their Fender-lite tuning key (from American Deluxe Basses) looked very outdated, and that day, they added the newer style as an option.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ive always wondered how well do they work? I mean do they transfer from E to D perfectly or will it be a little off? Also can you go back and forth to each tuning with ease?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

^
It has a little seperate knob so you can fine ajust the tuning when it is in drop D to get it dead on.

And it is a switch. You flip it back and forth. Instant drop D or standard. Simple as simply hitting the headstock againt the wall. (Not that I woudl ever do anything like that)
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
FYI: You can't drop from E to C. E to D is the max.

I hope your talking about the tunning key and not tunning in general
Quote by SystemOVADown
I hope your talking about the tunning key and not tunning in general

Yeah, MetalUpTheAss. You can clearly tune an E string down to C. Jeez.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Fast_Bear
Tune your bass to drop D evey once in a while.

I haven't played much of anything outside of drop C but scales in months...

I'm just having trouble taking care of that god-awful slinky low C string, it sounds like a mess, especially when I play with fingers.

As far as the tuning key thing. I see where it's useful, but I don't change tunings that suddenly enough to have a need for it. Sounds like a good idea if it works well though.

/while I'm on the subject, anybody know of any ways to take care of that slinky low C? I've heard of stuff like raising the action, buying bigger strings, a smaller nut, all sorts of weird crap. But I don't feel like tossing around money and time seeing what works, anybody have a definite solution
Quote by BlueShox
I haven't played much of anything outside of drop C but scales in months...

I'm just having trouble taking care of that god-awful slinky low C string, it sounds like a mess, especially when I play with fingers.

As far as the tuning key thing. I see where it's useful, but I don't change tunings that suddenly enough to have a need for it. Sounds like a good idea if it works well though.

/while I'm on the subject, anybody know of any ways to take care of that slinky low C? I've heard of stuff like raising the action, buying bigger strings, a smaller nut, all sorts of weird crap. But I don't feel like tossing around money and time seeing what works, anybody have a definite solution

Getting thicker strings helps with tension, also try to play nearer the bridge, the strings have more tension over there.