I just changed my strings. No big deal. Except.....the shop didn't have my usual size of 10's. So, I got 9's. Well, for some reason they give some fret buzz on the A and D strings. I've adjusted my action up as high as I'm going to and they STILL buzz.

Could it have something to do with the less tension needed to pull the strings to tune?

It could be the nut, but much less likely. It looks fine.

Should I adjust my truss rod?

Thanks

Aaron
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
It could need a truss rod adjustment. Did you take all the strings off at once? You know that's sort of a no-no (sorry if you already know this.) Change them one at a time. The small change in guage usually doesn't make that much difference unless you have super low action (like mine.) I wouldn't do it myself unless I knew what I was doing.
the neck relaxed because the gauge is lighter and yeah, ur getting buzz.

so, where is it buzzing? what strings and frets?

do u want to measure ur neck?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the truss rod as a convex bend to it now. i bet its a thin neck. loosen the truss rod an 8th turn at a time and tune up until its straight again. always remember that lighter is better, if your uncomfortable with this as a it can be fatal to a guitar, take it to a pro at the shop and show off that beautiful agile.
Quote by uldhppi
It could need a truss rod adjustment. Did you take all the strings off at once? You know that's sort of a no-no (sorry if you already know this.) Change them one at a time. The small change in guage usually doesn't make that much difference unless you have super low action (like mine.) I wouldn't do it myself unless I knew what I was doing.

No, I take three strings off at a time (I change E, D, and e, then A, G, and B). I like low action as well, but there's no way I can get it like this. I think I might try my hand at adjusting the rod. I've seen it done, and I'm fairly sure I can do it.

thanks,

Aaron.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
ok then fret the 1st fret Low E, at the same time,
fret the Last fret Low E, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

is the string on the fretwire there? if so, you dont have enough bend.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Okay, update. I've done the fretting thing and there was a small gap. (but still buzz). I've been loosening the rod, but I still hear buzz. It's helping, but it wont make it go away! Could it be something else, like the frets or the nut?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
you're supposed to measure, then adjust about a 1/4", then retune and measure again in about an hour.

it takes a while to really see how the neck is going to settle.

you want there to be a small gap u can fit a credit card between.

yes, there can be another problem. might be the string is rattling in the nut, or at a saddle. i know the strings, but where is the buzzing coming from?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you're supposed to measure, then adjust about a 1/4", then retune and measure again in about an hour.

it takes a while to really see how the neck is going to settle.

you want there to be a small gap u can fit a credit card between.

yes, there can be another problem. might be the string is rattling in the nut, or at a saddle. i know the strings, but where is the buzzing coming from?

It sounds like the the strings are buzzing on about the 9-12th fret whenever I play on the E or A string on the 5-7 fret.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
you might just have a high fret.
which guitar is this?

if uve adjusted the neck and it's got a good bow now, and adjusting the bridge doesnt help, then check to see if a fret is high. (around the 9-12th.)

could also be that the new strings are sitting lower in the cuts at the nut.

so detune those two strings and slip a bit of paper in both cuts, under the strings, to lift them a bit.

just to get an idea if that's the case. if the buzzing stops, then we know how to fix the problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62