Yeah, so basically, my dad isn't one to stick to idea's, like when i asked to get a dirtbike like 4 years ago, he bought me a dirtbike helmet from some garage sale and then forgot about it or just decided otherwise..way to mess with a kids head right? But yeah, basically i bought a big new guitar amp and guitar with my saved up money, and i play it in my room at about half way(100 watt tube amp), with thin walls that's pretty damn loud, so i asked him if it was too loud one day and he said it's loud but he's glad i sound good, and it reminds him that he should build up a practicing area outside. I've got a pretty big yard so that would be sweet, and my band would be able to come over and practice.

So basically, what can i do to try to get his lazy ass to actually do it? lol
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
DIY bro. its fun. u don't have to make ur dad get up on his feet.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh yeah and anyone know what kinda money that costs? just for like..an insulated garage with some lights, good wiring for all the equipment,a comfortable amount of space for a drum set and guitars/bass/amps stuff like that.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
do it myself? are you guys CRAZY, i'm 16 and i've never built ANYTHING, seriously i've never even built something successful with a hammer(i mean, i've hit a few nails in some wood when i was little lol)
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
get some mexicans
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Give him beer.

my dad's a nerd he drinks caffiene free diet coke. But every once in awhile he drinks some chinese beer starting with a T
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
I third the do it yourself. Either that or see if you can play at your schools music room after school.
DIY/Build it with him.

Question: If you have thin walls, why in the hell would you buy a 100 WATT TUBE AMP?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
i second the getting some mexicans.

uhh, how far away do you live from anyone? cuz if you're playing a hundred watt tube amp outside so you can get full volume, you'd better not be in a very populated area.
Tell him that you will help build it. First ask if he is serious, then proceed to draw up some plans etc.

pepsi
going along with the DIY theme of this thread, id say get your bandmates to help out. and unntil then, use a 10W or so practice amp.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
just confront him when he's not busy for like a whole day and somehow give him no choice but to help you.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by electricsnake
do it myself? are you guys CRAZY, i'm 16 and i've never built ANYTHING, seriously i've never even built something successful with a hammer(i mean, i've hit a few nails in some wood when i was little lol)

You sound lazy

Suck it up, you build a frame, then you pour concrete : ) I just set you on your way.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i second the getting some mexicans.

uhh, how far away do you live from anyone? cuz if you're playing a hundred watt tube amp outside so you can get full volume, you'd better not be in a very populated area.

i live about 200 yards away from any neighbors
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
i live about 200 yards away from any neighbors

do they happen to be mexican?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Do It Yourself
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Call in the Amish.

Or buy one of those huge sheds at home depot or menards and put carpet padding on the walls.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Zach_F
You sound lazy

Suck it up, you build a frame, then you pour concrete : ) I just set you on your way.

i'm not lazy i'm just stupid..i've never done anything with construction, i will help my dad if he shows me what i've gotta do, but i'm not gonna do it myself because
i don't know what the hell to do, i've never "built a frame" on anything, nor have i poured concrete.

and damn there's a lot of people here lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by Henry Polfave
do they happen to be mexican?

nope the ones to the north are white horse breeder/riders or whatever, ranch people, to the south there's this math teacher dude who's also white
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
nope the ones to the north are white horse breeder/riders or whatever, ranch people, to the south there's this math teacher dude who's also white

Then they obviously know how to run a stable. It's possible they can build one that you can nail carpeting, insulation and foam on the walls of.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Then they obviously know how to run a stable. It's possible they can build one that you can nail carpeting, insulation and foam on the walls of.

they probably got mexicans to do it? come on they've got money lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
they probably got mexicans to do it? come on they've got money lol

then ask them which mexicans did it
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by Soul-Monger
Constantly remind him, and offer to help. Sometimes, if you want something done, you have to help put with some of the labor.

I agree with this.
Quote by electricsnake
Yeah, so basically, my dad isn't one to stick to idea's, like when i asked to get a dirtbike like 4 years ago, he bought me a dirtbike helmet from some garage sale and then forgot about it or just decided otherwise..way to mess with a kids head right? But yeah, basically i bought a big new guitar amp and guitar with my saved up money, and i play it in my room at about half way(100 watt tube amp), with thin walls that's pretty damn loud, so i asked him if it was too loud one day and he said it's loud but he's glad i sound good, and it reminds him that he should build up a practicing area outside. I've got a pretty big yard so that would be sweet, and my band would be able to come over and practice.

100W of tube for playing at the house?!?!

not needed.............

anyways, building a closed in space like in the basement is easy and fairly cheap and I suggest doing this compared to using the outdoors as neighbors may complain about the loud guitar after a while and then you'll be back in the house when the cops come.

Also you can record in a basement without lots of outside noise filtering.

so yea, overall I suggest getting some walls up and carpet installed in your basement...(if you have one).

my dads the type to think of projects and start parts of them but takes forever to finish them but he did get our basement finished off all by himself...(minus electrical as we needed someone with a license to do that.)

the basement he finished:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/moody07747/Other/Cleaning%20basement/

yea I'm trying to clean the basement but my parents like to keep messing it up haha

edit
a separate garage will be hard to get electrical to. that means a sub panel and underground wiring...

but have a look around diynet.com for building tips and all that.
and look at their message boards.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by moody07747
100W of tube for playing at the house?!?!

not needed.............

anyways, building a closed in space like in the basement is easy and fairly cheap and I suggest doing this compared to using the outdoors as neighbors may complain about the loud guitar after a while and then youll be back in the house when the cops come.

Also you can record in a basement without lots of outside noise filtering.

so yea, overall I suggest getting some walls up and carpet installed in your basement...(if you have one).

my dads the type to think of projects and start parts of them but takes forever to finish them but he did get our basement finished off all by himself...(minus electrical as we needed someone with a license to do that.)

the basement he finished:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/moody07747/Other/Cleaning%20basement/

yea im trying to clean the basement but my parents like to keep messing it up haha

edit
a seperate garage will be hard to get electrical to. that means a sub panel and underground wiring...

but have a look around diynet.com for building tips and all that.
and look at their message boards.

my 100 watt tube is for my band, it's a good amount of volume and tone for getting over the drums and all of that.

and nope i don't have a basement, i live in california so nope, no tornadoes here :P

edit:100 watts is also fairly good for small gigs+i can just mic it up to a P.A system at most large places
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
I could never do something like that unless I read some type of DIY book or thing online, i'm sure its nothing more than cutting wood/nailing/screwing wood(yes i realized that sounds wrong) and probally pouring some concrete. All very simple things you could def. do, but it might take a while/lots of help
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Build it yourself, Noob.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Do it yourself or at least help him do it.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by electricsnake
my dad's a nerd he drinks caffiene free diet coke. But every once in awhile he drinks some chinese beer starting with a T

tsingtao
is the kind of beer
Quote by SyN6661
tsingtao
is the kind of beer

yeah that sounds right,

and some of you guys are annoying, i'm not gonna do it myself because yes i'm not smart, not good at anything, ext.
but yes i will help my dad out with it as much as i can lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake

and nope i don't have a basement, i live in california so nope, no tornadoes here :P

Just earthquakes right?

Quote by electricsnake
oh yeah and anyone know what kinda money that costs? just for like..an insulated garage with some lights, good wiring for all the equipment,a comfortable amount of space for a drum set and guitars/bass/amps stuff like that.

Yeah but if you put really good lights in your shed you can make the money back growing dope.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Sep 6, 2007,
Quote by electricsnake

Well you could focus on one issue at a time. Decide whether you want to make your dad look bad, or encourage him to get involved.

If you wanna stick with making your dad look bad, have at it junior. If you want some ideas on how to involve him in this project I have several for you, but you'll have to clean up your attitude before I'm willing to discuss them with you. Delete that whiny BS in the beginning of your threadstart that has nothing to do with the practice area and find a better way to voice the thought in the last sentence and we'll talk.

... or just take what you get from your peers.
You might get some good things from them, too.

Good luck, however you decide to go.
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by electricsnake

You can do most of it yourself easily, but you'll need someone to pour concrete. Hopefully you're in the middle of nowhere, so you don't have to follow city code. I'm estimating, 5-10 grand, assuming you do the majority of the work, and it could go fast if you don't have to deal with the damn city.

Don't quote me on saying this stuff. I probably know more than the average UGer about Construction, but I still know next to nothing. I've just done some apprenticing under my father.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Don't have him do it by himself. Build it with him. Tell that it'll be some good quality time together. I know when my dad and I are building/repairing stuff we have some fun.
Member #9 of the Carvin club