ok i've been playing for like 1 year, a year and a half, or so and i've just noticed that...i don't think i have any calluses...and im pretty sure i don't know how to spell that...i mean, my fret hand fingers are about as soft and squishy as my pinky on my picking hand which basically does nothing...is this weird?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
i practice like once every day. in differing amounts. sometimes just 15 mins a day, others up to 2 hours...i just finished 'bout an hour...soo....i'm guessing i'm a 'bit strange?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
i play at least two hours a day, for a year and a half now, and i have some nice callusses.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Quote by bobby_splax
i practice like once every day. in differing amounts. sometimes just 15 mins a day, others up to 2 hours...i just finished 'bout an hour...soo....i'm guessing i'm a 'bit strange?

thats it?.... i practice for about 4 hours a day. never less.

i say just practice scales and use all 4 fingers as much as possible. i would say try picking the strings harder and fret harder, but i dont know if that would build them any faster...
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
why do people practice for so long....?
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Quote by jeff541

because we have dreams and goals. most of us here want to be the best we can and try as hard as possible to get there.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
im not sure, thats strange... ive been playing just as long but i have some nice callouses.

try maybe investing in a gripmaster with ruff rider caps. they build callouses pretty fast.
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
Quote by jeff541

lol, that's what i thought. So if i "want" calluses, i should start practicing more and hold the strings down as hard as possible...but if i don't want them, i should just keep doing what i'm doing?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Maybe your fingers are already hard coz u work in a steel factory? (not making a joke, I'm serious).

If not, then ye.......weird. You are definitely not practising to your fullest. My fingers felt like it was gonna fall off after a month of playing.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
that's weird...i mean, by no means, i don't think i suck...but if i had calluses, that would mean i invested more time, which means i would be a beast at guitar...m'kay...

oh and before i forget, nope no steel factory, i'm only 15...i think there are laws against that kinda thing here in the u.s.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
slide up and down the low strings alot

and dont play right after taking a shower/ washing hands it desroys them

but if you dont have them it will help build them

eidt:
then again i get at least 3-5 hours of practice a day
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
After your calluses are developed on you fingers they start to feel smooth and normal again.

I can rub my fingers right now and not really notice that much of a difference.

If you can play a hour or so straight without it hurting really bad then you have calluses.
epic7734
Quote by R0CKER1220
How often do you practice? And how long when you do? You should have calluses after a year and a half.

I use .009's for the most part and I have enough calluses to play with ease.

However, my fingers aren't incredible hard like a .13's acoustic players would be.

If you really care about the calluses TS, get some thicker strings.
I have calluses been playing for like almost 2 months :P (not major calluses though)
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by bobby_splax
and hold the strings down as hard as possible

No point in doing that while you're playing. You'll probably develop a bad habit, and callouses should form naturally anyways. If you want callouses though, I recommend playing on an acoustic.
I don't need a sig....
I use 11's or 10's.

What i did was I got a pack of 12's and played them until they got old. Then I went back to 11's/10's (mostly 11's), and not only were my fingers MUCH stronger, they were alot harder. The bigger the strings the faster you'll get callused (I think). worked for me. I do get packs of 12's when I need to improve of strength in one type of technique. It really helps alot.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
well idk im really new to guitar like about 3 weeks and i read somewhere that if u play guitar every day for a few hours u shud get callouses in the first week. i kinda got callouses after a few days but mostly on my index finger thats where i feel it but the other fingers are still sort of soft, but i can practice for a long time without it hurting even a little bit it just feels weird cuz there are dents in my fingers from the strings. so my point is i think ur fine, because you probably have callouses you're just used to them. maybe im just completely wrong and you shouldn't listen to me.
i think i found the problem. i have what's known as exzema maybe you guys heard of it. but it's basically you have dry itchy skin. and since i have this i have to put alot of moisturizer on...could that possibly affect it?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
yeah that would be affecting it

just like the washing hands thing it softens the skin thus re;moving any callous
mabey just dont put any on you rfinger tips of your fret hand and youll have callouses in no time
Quote by metul kult

just wondering though, do i actually "need" calluses? i mean, i can play my guitar just fine. i can play for a couple hours and they never really hurt so... do they like improve anythign really?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
not in your case it seems although they do help for sliding up the high strings
Quote by metul kult

Quote by jeff541

Because we want to improve and we have dreams?
I used to practice for about 8-12 hours a day, on 9s, and never got calluses, and now I only practice about 4-5 hours a day on 13s, and I still dont get calluses. I guess not everyone gets them. The only thing that happens to my fingers after playing that much is that they get raw and tender, but the next day they are good as new, and no calluses.
im sure you do. you just dont notice it. you'll get em thick just from playing. if your fingers are killing you try putting a dab of glue on your finger tips then peeling it off. makes you skin rough.