I'd like to take advantage of it and discover some new bands.

My favorite band at the moment is Animal Collective, and to be honest I'd just like to hear some bands similar to them. Not necessarily similar in sound but similar in...principal? If that makes sense.

I've heard The Dirty Projectors are supposed to be pretty good, so any recommended songs/albums by them?

Some other bands I like are..uhhh...The Strokes, The Unicorns, Of Montreal, VU, The Blow, Cold War Kids, Modest Mouse, etc. Basically really melodic, catchy shtuff.

So just throw some recommendations at me pwease.
if you go DP any album is good
if you want them now get the getty address or glad fact. if you can wait a week get the new one (rise above).
Yeah, Dirty Projectors are sh*t hot. The new album is supposed to be an interpretation of a Black Flag album or something. Can't remember exactly, but the whole idea behind it is great.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
You've proabbly heard all of these before, but I'll list them just in case:

Television
Can
The Smiths
The Feelies
Magnetic Fields
Grandaddy
Sparklehorse
Built To Spill
Yo La Tengo
Little Wings
The Microphones
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
Not sure why I added the -o. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

I fully agree.
Grizzly Bear!!
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Okay I ended up getting The Dirty Projector's The Getty Address, Grizzly Bear's Horn Of Plenty and Panda Bear's Bro's EP. Thanks everyone.
Kind of after the fact, but Troubled Hubble. Anything by them, basically.

You'd have to be certifiably insane not to think they're catchy.

And, of course, the Oohlas. I always suggest them. Specifically "Tripped," "Small Parts," "Rupert Krikor Chang," "The Cahuenga Shuffle," "Octopus," and "The Ballerina Blues."

Or the Thermals. I durr know if you listen to them or not. If you don't, you should.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Sep 7, 2007,
Hot Chip.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Small Leaks Sink Ships

http://www.myspace.com/smallleakssinkships

or maybe Wolf Parade, they're pretty amazing and produced by Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp