Page 1 of 2
Well, my metal amps thread has officially died.....had one question, no one answered....three days later i put another question....no answer after four hours since that, so I'm making a new, smaller, more precise one. For those that don't know, I'm looking to improve my amp. I play mostly metal, but also do shred, and other stuff.

Basically, right now I'm going between the Uberschall and the Road king. The Uberschall and the Road king, as it was phrased to me, I thought very fittingly--the jack of all trades, or the master of one. Uberschall is the master of one--metal. The Road King is the jack of all trades--it does everything well, but not amazingly. Both have good cleans, and the Road king is better for classic rock kind of stuff, but while the Bogner can't do that as well, the bogner is just amazing for metal, and for the time being I can use an OD pedal, a boost pedal, or a vox valvetronix to cover the middle gain/classic rock stuff if I need to....Any input you can give me on the jack of all trades/master of one, or Road king vs. Uberschall would be great.

I also would like input on other amps that are not much more than say $2700 for the head. A few I would really like input on are the:

Engl Invader (preferably the 100)
Diamond Spec Op
Brunetti 059
Brunetti XLR-EVO 120
Mesa Mark IV
Soldano SLO100 (prolly a bit too expensive....)
Soldano Avenger
Soldano Decatone

I'm open to other suggestions as well, as long as they aren't:

Peavey 5150
Marshall JVM
Mesa Stilletto
Mesa Dual Rec.

I may add or get rid of amps mentioned above if I need to. Thanks!
Last edited by TheShred201 at Sep 5, 2007,
You might want to add Mark IV to the other amps to try
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ive heard really, really good things about krank amps. but, youre upgrading from a spider II, so pretty much anything would be great i guess. ive always tried to look around for JCM 800 or 900's on craig's list mostly, thats my dream amp, couple that with some sortof boost/OD and its always good. anyways, check those out
Mark IVs are reputed to be extremely versatile. But the Bogner, wow. I think if I had the chance and the money to get one, I'd be all over it.

PinkEdit: ^Oh god no, Krank amps are the most overpriced, over-hyped pieces of shit ever, possibly. Even the most expensive, all-tube ones couldn't even come close to comparing with a Bogner or an Engl.
Last edited by which ones pink at Sep 5, 2007,
mesa, done, and trying to find one still. STRQ, I have played Krank, not what I'm looking for....I also have qualms with the company but thats another matter. Also played a JCM 800, also not particularly what I'm looking for. I haven't trieda 900 though. I'll look into it. And Pink, right now I'm leaning towards the Bogner.
You might want to check out Soldano. They specialize in high gain stuff.

Might want to look into the Decatone or SLO. They're factory is like in Seattle, should be pretty close to where you live.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

Might want to look into the Decatone or SLO. They're factory is like in Seattle, should be pretty close to where you live.

Amen to that. The Decatone will cover pretty much the whole spectrum from the squeakiest of cleans to the deadest of death metal. While it does lack a little of the punch and harmonic clarity of the SLO, it's versatility is enough to overcome those issues (which are not really issues when you consider the fact that you have to compare it to an SLO to find something wrong with it). The independent channel volumes (along with the independent gain levels and global master volume) pretty much allow for you to drive the preamp and poweramp tubes exactly as hard as you want to: you can be loud and clean, or quiet with the gain and master both pegged at 11.

Soldano's are workhorse amps, and are therefore very simple to work with, free of any unnecessary complexities, and built like tanks. Buying mine was quite possibly the best gear decision of my life thus far.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Would it be possible to get some recordings of your amp. I myself have never played a Soldano and I'm quite interested in hearing one

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You may want to look into a Framus Cobra. From what I gather, they're on par with Engl, if not better (here's where personal preference comes into play), but if you've got that much money to decide on an amp, I'd say give it a try. 3 channels, all the way from clean to insanely high gain, so I don't think versatility will be a problem with it. And I can pretty much guarantee that any of the amps listed thus far will have better cleans than the Uberschall...
UG's Catholic Theologian.

Gear: Carvin DC127, Vox AD30VT, Dunlop Original Crybaby, Boss RC20XL, MXR Phase 90, Boss DD-3 Delay, EHX Nano LPB-1, Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner.
Breedlove AC20 Acoustic Guitar w/ Fishman Classic 4 pickup.

Quote by MESAexplorer
Would it be possible to get some recordings of your amp. I myself have never played a Soldano and I'm quite interested in hearing one

I have a friend who's unemployed, loaded with recording equipment, and a pretty good guitar player. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he can pick it up and record some samples.
Tamit, I have looked into the framus....heard one live for about an hour at a relatively small but loud concert. I don't think that its necesarily the amp I'm looking for. I may consider it more when I find one in Seattle, but for now...

Any info on the Soldano's or other amps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Try all the amps you listed and see which one you like best.

I personally would go for the invader oh.
Quote by MESAexplorer

I have a Soldano SLO 100, & it is without question the gnarliest metal amp on the planet. I've owned or tried dozens of high-end amps (including Marshall, Mesa, Orange, Engl, Bogner, Diezel etc), & nothing else can cut like an SLO 100 (even the Soldano techs have told me that the Avenger & Decatone don't pack quite the punch of the SLO in side by side comparisons [SLOs have military-spec components], although they said if you tried an SLO one day & a Decatone the next day, you wouldn't likely tell any difference)!! The Diezels (Herbert & VH4) were the only ones that could come close.
If I need a cleaner sound (you won't get great cleans out of an SLO without switching a few settings around), I just roll back the guitar volume or decrease the OD & presence levels. I never even bother using the crunch channel. The OD channel is where it's at.
I got my SLO on ebay for $2400 US, so it would be in your range. BTW, I know some Guitar Centers have SLOs. I tried one in San Francisco.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Ibanez, the ones that I have listed are pretty much the ones I haven't found a way to tro anywhere near me due to dealers, availability, etc. Riffhog, thanks for the soldano info. I had heard the punchiness thing about the SLO and side by side tests, but separately are unnoticable.
Laney GH100? I hear they're very nice
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
laney vh100

or have you considered buying serperate power and pre amp?. Ultimate versatility and can be more affordable....check out this dude who mixes mesa and marshall which would cost about £1000 /$1600 MAYBE? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABY6AjzxCY
this tone owns
Last edited by GtrCzarIII at Sep 6, 2007,
What is wrong with you!??! Have you heard Dream Theater's Train of Thought or any newer live Killswitch stuff? A Road King/Roadster can do any type of metal, plus any other type of music with ease. It is the master of one trade and a jack of all trades.
Check out VHTs too. Haven't tried one but the word is that they're great amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by ihatepigum
What is wrong with you!??! Have you heard Dream Theater's Train of Thought or any newer live Killswitch stuff? A Road King/Roadster can do any type of metal, plus any other type of music with ease. It is the master of one trade and a jack of all trades.

yeah for the big money however you can buy better seperately. mesas sound too modern for classic rock, so having a combination or brands gives you everything.
Definately check out VHT, I have a Pittbull UL and it is unreal, kinda like a Soldano but in my opinion more suited towards metal.
I think the road king is good for metal, but can't be the master, as there are other amps that are better at it. I will look into VHT, but its another one that I haven't found one to try. And the road king doesn't sound to modern for classic rock GtrCzarlll.
Quote by TheShred201
I think the road king is good for metal, but can't be the master, as there are other amps that are better at it. I will look into VHT, but its another one that I haven't found one to try. And the road king doesn't sound to modern for classic rock GtrCzarlll.

shred its no good for brutal metal and way too expensive. good luck anyway you need it.
GtrCzarll, if your speaking of the Road king, I've played it--its not the best for it, and If I decide that brutal metal is my #1 priority over more versitility, then I'm going with the bogner, since it smokes the roadking for that purpose imo. If you were talking into the VHT, well i've never tried one, but If I find that I can, I will.
Regarding the VHT, in my quest for amps it was ruled out early as it lacked a lot of the depth of other high gain amps within the same general price category. It did cover the shred aspect particularly well as it was very articulate and boasted loads of gain, but I really wasn't able to coax anything else out of it that was outstanding. It's still a step up from many things in the metal category but I was unamused at everything else it did.

Regarding recordings of my amp, two things: One, I'll be unable to get "proper" recordings of it until next weekend, though I may get them anyway (regardless of this thread) just for reference sake. Two, I'm using 6L6's in my amp whereas they come stock with 5881's, thus it really wouldn't be an "apples to apples" comparison. With the 6L6's my amp is more punchy and articulate with the lows, but less pronounced with the mids and highs.
hmm, just to throw another name out there since you have the budget, may want to check out a Mako Mak2 while you're at it. It's the metal amp I'm currently gassin over. It's their Dorado with an added clean channel, or he will use a Makoplex lead channel depending what you want. Problem is, would be very hard to play one without knowing someone, I don't know where you could test one.
http://www.makoamplification.com/sounds.htm
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Kendall, thanks for the info on the VHT. I will look into them still, but If I decide that's what I want I may wait for the Sig X. Otherside, I had left out the EVH since I couldn't find one to play, but I may have done that last night, so that may be a possibility. Erock, I'lll look into Mako more, but yes, it seems hard to try.
Quote by Kendall
Regarding the VHT, in my quest for amps it was ruled out early as it lacked a lot of the depth of other high gain amps within the same general price category. It did cover the shred aspect particularly well as it was very articulate and boasted loads of gain, but I really wasn't able to coax anything else out of it that was outstanding. It's still a step up from many things in the metal category but I was unamused at everything else it did.

Regarding recordings of my amp, two things: One, I'll be unable to get "proper" recordings of it until next weekend, though I may get them anyway (regardless of this thread) just for reference sake. Two, I'm using 6L6's in my amp whereas they come stock with 5881's, thus it really wouldn't be an "apples to apples" comparison. With the 6L6's my amp is more punchy and articulate with the lows, but less pronounced with the mids and highs.

I had a similar feeling about the Pittbull. Very similar to a Soldano, but missing something. Absolutely great amp, though, like stated, better than most. But for a couple hundred bucks more you can buy an SLO 100 with a transferable lifetime warranty, & the SLO does classic rock tones very well also.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Update--I'mm going to the Soldano factory soon to try out some amps, but I may not be able to try all of them. Right now my main focus would probably be the SLO and the Decatone, but I would like opnions on the:

Decatone
SLO100
Lucky 13

Those are the main three I'm interested in. If I can I will try all of them, If not I will try to in that order. I would like more info on how they compare to eachother. I've heard the SLO has a bit more punch than the other two in OD channel. I'm curious about the Decatone Vs. SLO though, since the decatone seems like an SLO with the clean and crunch split, but is less expensive so there have to be other differences. I know that the Lucky 13 doesn't have a gain on its clean, but I would still like more info. Thanks!
The Lucky 13 has an absolutely beautiful clean channel. The gain is kind of neutered compared to the Decatone and SLO. I'd like to throw out another suggestion. A Hughes & Kettner Triamp. Amazing amp for what you want to do. Just add some stomps or your favorite rack effects, and it's out of this world.
Alright guys, here's how its looking. I'm trying Soldano's next week probably, and then I'm either going to get a Soldano or a Rivera KR7 (which isn't technically released yet) depending on how I like the Soldanos. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you updated.
Before you make up your mind, you should try and check out the VHT SIGX. I heard about some of it's features... seems pretty badass.

-it has 3 channels
-each has 3 modes i think
-the first has blow, brit, and brown
-another one has burn live, and vintage
-they have a more/less gain control for each channel
-norm/boost control for each channel gain
-each channel has a 100/60 watt switch
-each channel has gain voicing and saturation nobx
-or at least this is for rythm and lead channels
-each of these to has a scoop/wood switch
-independant treb, mid, bass
-volumes for each
-global for lead/rythm presence and depth
-clean channel has vol, treb, mid, bass, pres, depth, 100/60 watt switch
-fat/open switch
-boost/norm switch
-and a spank/brite/bloom switch
-and its less expensive than a UL
I think MSRP is like $2700

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hmmmm........I was just laughing at the fact that Soldano really doesn't need any marketing. Mike Soldano doesn't even have to try to sell Soldano amps. The people who fork out loads of cash for them end up being the biggest salesmen.....and for just cause.
i thought i posted in your other thread...

anyway, basic gist is it's really up to you, it depends how much versatility you need, personal preference etc. etc. now that i already have a jack of all trades amp, i could see most of my future amp purchases being master of one purchases.

EDIT: $2400 US, riffhog? darn. they're like £2600 (over $5000) new here.

i tried a vht deliverance recently- it was pretty nice. As riffhog said, similar to a soldano (i've tried the avenger). Bogner ecstacy is pretty sweet. I really like cornfords, they're (to my ears) like a woodier, more organic (and possibly a little less "metal") soldano- though in the US, there are doubtless cheaper options available.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 8, 2007,
Yeah Dave you did, but it was kind of dead so I made a new one. Thanks for the info on amps guys. I can't wait to go to the Soldano factory and get to play some. In general though, I'm trying to stay a bit below the price of an XTC dave. Even the SLO is a bit higher than I would like to go....but since its a local company...I should see if I can do odd jobs around the factory to get a discount.
wow, the slo is cheaper than the xtc over there?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2