Okay, help please!

I don't want to learn songs anymore, I would like to learn to write my own.
I'm kind of lost, though.
I am currently in the process of learning all the notes on the fretboard, and I know 2 positions of A minor Pentatonic.
Where do I go from here, Ug?
Thanks!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I take you down with understanding the workings of the C major scale and why it's used as a reference point?

If so, move onto the blues minor scale. Practice the 1st Mode of the Blues Minor scale, and until you can play it at any key, both diagonally and straight up+down and understand it etc, move onto to the next mode etc It has 5 modes I believe.

Learn chords. Why Chords are formed or rather HOW. And how do they get their name etc.
If you want these things explained, ask. I'll be glad to explain it to u though there's plenty threads about this already I think.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
bump..
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Work on the notes on the fretboard, it helps when applying the theory to guitar.

I would reccomend starting off with learning the major scale. PM me if you want me to explain that, and I would be happy to help out with getting you started into music theory.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
first off learn all five position of the Aminor pentatonic scale. Learn how to move between all positions and learn it in all keys. Now go train my son.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
dude if you quit playing covers now, you'll suck alot later. and when learning songs analyse and change them, check what scales the people are using thats some of the best theory practice.

learn all the shapes of all the pentatonic scales and than learn your major and minor scale.#penaonic is very limiting
Ill give you a tiny tip for messin with chords...
ALL major keys have a relative minor key. Meaning that all major keys have a minor key with the same signature and vise versa. To find the Realative minor key of a major key you must count forward 6 or backward 3.
example: C major's relative Minor is Aminor
C,D,E,F,G,A / C,B,A
THen to find the relative major key to a minor, you count forward 3 or back 6
Example: B minor's relative major is D major
B,C,D / B,A,G,F,E,D

just to help you figure out what chords may go well together message me if you want help with scales or something like that.. you know what im talking about
When modulating in a song, that is introducing a chord that is not diatonic to the scale you are in, as long as the pivot chord has one note of the previous chord then it will sound smooth, However Kurt Cobain would sometimes use a chord that would jarre or as Jimmy Web would call it a Clash to great effect it all depends on what music you want to compose.

I could not write a song that does not include a slash Chord I.E. Cmin7/ F or D/B
these chords add a new dimmension to your music , They are known as bass inversions

You wont learn everything in five minutes, it does depend on your ear, some people never get beyond very simple chords, as some one else has said many times study the covers you know and find out why they work, however dont stop playing a mixture of covers nothing sounds worse than a self indugent group playing their own music when it is badly written and uninteresting, do things gradually

Kingstone
Quote by jimmypage1904
dude if you quit playing covers now, you'll suck alot later. and when learning songs analyse and change them, check what scales the people are using thats some of the best theory practice.

learn all the shapes of all the pentatonic scales and than learn your major and minor scale.#penaonic is very limiting

lol completly wrong except the learn ur pentatonics major and minors. No scale is is limited because any scale ban be moved all over the fretboard. I think you need to train your inner ear. Sure learning scales will help you in the long run but dont think you just need to learn scales to solo. If you just use scales non stop it becomes dull and unmeaningful. I think you should learn like 2 positions of harmonic minor and blues then record some cords and try to improvise.