Page 1 of 2
I've asked a few people about what I should get, and I've gotten some mixed answers. (Gibson, ESP, Fender, Dean...)

I listen to and play metal (I especially listen to progressive metal), so I'm looking for a good guitar for metal within my $1000 budget.

I also explored the possibility of getting a $600 guitar and a good $400 amp (like a Line 6 or something) instead of blowing everything on a $999.99 guitar.

I've been playing guitar for well over two years, my guitar's a Washburn X-Series (I think it's a black X10), and my amp's a small 33 watt Randall.

A guitar with a Floyd rose that can go up would be good too.
look into Jackson, ive gotta say those are amazing.
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
a jackson or ibanez are good metal guitars with floyd rose's
My gear:
gibson sg
fender stratocaster
vox AD30
crybaby wah
if you are interested, I'm trying to sell a schecter c1 classic with Zakk Wylde EMG pickups in it. its a 900$ deal plus tax and installation. Because it is used, however perfect condition, never gigged, I'm trying to sell it for 700. Post an answer if you are interested, I basically only play metal too.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
I'd go for an ibanez if i were you cuz the Sabers have the ZR trem which is a great trem i've heard but don't get a line 6
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Schecter Hellraiser C-1....

I dun know how it is with metal, but for rock its great, and it comes with a real floyd rose.

Plus, you'll have money left over for a decent amp.

Edit: Forgot to add that it's got EMG 81/85 pickups so you'll get a great metal tone out of them.
Line 6 no good :P

You might have to sell your current guitar and get something decent. The edge II trems on the RG350DX and EXs arent bad.

From what I haev heard, the ZR ball bearing trems are great, so maybe a prestege by selling your old guitar and putting that money to your other budget.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I'd go with an ESP or an Ibanez, but I'm (obviously) a bigger fan of Ibanez. They play and sound damn fine for metal, and the RG1570 is probably the best thing you can get for that price range
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Jackass. There's tons of good gutiars for metal out there that are around $1000. Go to guitar shops and play around with different guitars and get the one that produces a sound you fall in love with. All the suggestions you get on here will be preferences by individuals.

......get a damn ibanez.
"I've been playing for more than 30 years, and I still find new sounds. It still amazes me."
- Don Ross
Look into an ibanez xiphos. Neck thru maple neck, mahogany body, 24 frets, dimarzio d-activator picukups, zr trem. only like $700 US too.
I like my jackson, bought mine blemished(small scratch on it, mine was in a unnoticable area near the back) for $600(new is $740 on the site i got it from), it's got active EMG pickups and stuff. I can give you the site i bought mine from if you'd like, i think they've got another blem.
Anyways, i'm happy with mine, and i play metal ranging from metallica/iron maiden to children of bodom/lamb of god type stuff.

edit:found the link to it: http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2910100
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Last edited by electricsnake at Sep 6, 2007,
Yeah, get a Jackson. And get like, try to get one made before Fender bought 'em, Jackson guitars were made better before they got bought out.
Quote by metallifan3091
Look into an ibanez xiphos. Neck thru maple neck, mahogany body, 24 frets, dimarzio d-activator picukups, zr trem. only like $700 US too.

Xiphos got Edge III's I think dude.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
umm..if you really want to spend that much then a jackson soloist...if not then a Scehcter and a better amp
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
RG1570

Best Guitar Neck Ever Made.
Made For Metal.
Edge Pro > OFR
And it's light weighted....

and if someboy whines about pickups, there fine, BUT jacksons are 1000$ rg is 700$ so, you an spend 200$ on 85/81 emg active pickups and still have left 100$

hf

Jacksons are super guitars but Ibanez's neck's is best.
smile
Quote by Nomak1
RG1570

Best Guitar Neck Ever Made.
Made For Metal.
Edge Pro > OFR
And it's light weighted....

and if someboy whines about pickups, there fine, BUT jacksons are 1000$ rg is 700$ so, you an spend 200$ on 85/81 emg active pickups and still have left 100$

hf

Jacksons are super guitars but Ibanez's neck's is best.

Everything this guy said except EMGs, they are a one trick pony. Get some Dimarzios. You said progressive but you didn't say who you listen to and that would help us suggest some pick ups for you.

Plus the RG1570 has a middle pickup.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
id say get a new amp, maybe like a roland cube 60
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Everything this guy said except EMGs, they are a one trick pony. Get some Dimarzios. You said progressive but you didn't say who you listen to and that would help us suggest some pick ups for you.

Plus the RG1570 has a middle pickup.

Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Pagan's Mind are my favorite prog metal bands.
Quote by metallifan3091

The Xiphos doesn't have a ZR, it has an Edge III. Big freaking difference.

I agree with newdawn, get an S, but you also need a good amp. Try a Crate Palomino V16. Or perhaps a Roland Cube.
Jackson DKMG, run at around 800~ish.. I am gona buy one soon.
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Quote by Neo Link

The guy from Pagan's Mind uses the dimarzios that come in the music man axis. (Some kind of custom wound ones.)

John Petrucci uses an Air Norton and a D-Sonic from Dimarzio.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP193-Air-Norton-Pickup?sku=302704
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP207-Drop-Sonic-Pickup?sku=309370
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by Neo Link

Romeo of SyX uses X2N/ToneZone, and plays in standard D tuning.

Just a FYI.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Im a devotee to ESP they do a great job although ive heard great things from jackson and ibanez try them out and see what fits u best and a good amp would be a good idea.
g&l invader plus is a nice guitar for hard rock and metal

ive seen em retail for about $750-800cdn too
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Use your money to get a good amp first.

There's no use plugging a hi-end guitar into a practise amp.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
spend more on the amp than the guitar dude, it is the majority of your tone
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
You don't listen to prog metal because prog metal doesn't exist. Progressive metal is an oxymoron. Normally I would ask you what genre of metal you listen to (because, believe it or not, "metal" is not a genre in itself, it's a very, very vague term) but it really doesn't matter because those $1000 would be much better spent on a good amp (what defines a "good amp" is entirely up to preference, go try some).
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
A thought. if he wants a bleeding guitar, let him get a bleeding guitar. The most tonefull amp will be no fun if you have to plug a ****e piece of wood into it. Besides, most guitarists take a while to even develop an ear for a good toned amp. If he gets a good guitar now, he'll love it and it'll keep him playing. If he gets a great amp, but hasn't played long enough or dosn't care enough to hear much of a differance, they his new shiney tone city amp will feel like a big expensive waste of money. He posted the thread asking for advice on getting a guitar, let's give him advice on getting a guitar, eigh?

One thing to think about, guy who started thread, is weather you're comfortable putting different pickups in a new guitar. If not, just remember that it'll cost you to have them installed somewhere. Frankly, I like to take my guitar out of the box, and be ready to play it, rather than have to drive it somewhere to wait for parts to ship and wait for some guy to open it up and forget to call me and eventually get what I think I want.
Page 1 of 2