Hey there, I just recently got the Digitech Whammy Pedal at Guitar Center's Labor Day Sale. It's an awesome piece of machinery, but the instructions are vague and I don't honestly know what this stuff does or what purpose it serves. The guy who demo'd it for me did tons of stuff. I can do the whole harmonic/bend and make crazy sci-fi sounds thing, but one thing still mystifies.

They say that you can use these to make the notes sound like they're being played ultra fast. Matthew Bellamy of MUSE does it. Hell he even uses this exact pedal. And in a guitar magazine I read an interview with dragonforce and in the article someone commented "How the hell do they play that fast??? Whammy Pedals or something?"

I'm guessing it has something to do with delay, I'm told? My Marshall has built-in Delay, but I don't know how it's related to the pedal or what to set it to.

If someone could clear this up for me, or just what uses this thing has and how to best utilize it, it'd be infinitely useful. Especially someone who has this pedal.

Thanks!

-Weasel
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Idk if it's the same everywhere, but I paid $165 as opposed to what I always see it at $200
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
wow i could have bought one dammit. sorry to be off topic i dont know the answer to your question
DF dont play fast because of a whammy pedal, lol.

Edit: btw, I have the whammy and I dont know about speeding notes up, that's not part of whammy.

You can make artificial chords, jump octaves and do dips, detune and that's it.
Last edited by HeavenlyVirus at Sep 6, 2007,
I'm not saying that's why they play so fast... i'm just saying that i've heard from so many people that whammy pedals can do this. I played around a little bit more and I'm already seeing a lil bit of it.

But apparently it mostly just works for tapping I'm discovering

Try setting it to Octave 1 Up with the Pedal down (forward), and if you have any means of delay, set delay to about 3 and you'll see what I mean. With alot of gain and treble as well.

what else can you use this pup for?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I don't really know how to answer your question. I haven't played with a whammy pedal for much more than 3 minutes

I do know that when notes become higher pitched they appear as if they were being played faster. Thats why solos seem much faster than the rhythms, even if they are about the same tempo with the same phrasing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
listen to the guitar solo in the song "like a stone" by audioslave, to see how tom morello uses his whammy pedal.
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love mine.
the coolest thing i found is that when jamming with just a drummer, you can go down 1 and sound like a bass, then as the song builds go back up to normal for a greater dynamic range than just with what you can regularly do with a guitar.

also, you can play really high stuff with one octave up without squishing your fingers together. one up makes your 7-12 sound like 19-24 and with my big fingers i have a much easier time in the middle of the neck. just stuff to try out.

get ahold of Under Blackpool Lights by you know who (the white stripes if you DONT know who) and watch what ol' Jackie does with the whammy, you can learn alot!!
Does the Solo to Killing in the Name By Rage Against the Machine sort of what you are talking about?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Hmmm I see....

I saw the bass effect

How would I do this?

In terms of pedal settings and what I should set my amp to

And I'm see what you mean. If you guys have ever heard Muse's stuff, they use this occasionally.

I heard the songs you all mentioned, and I know we're talking about the same thing, because they all used similar effects.

I figured out yea, if you set it around the one to two Octaves higher on the whammy settings range, and throw about a third of your delay settings in, it squeezes the notes so high, that if you're tapping two to three or more notes at a time it sounds faster
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Im pretty sure you can set it to harmonize with what youre playing at a set interval as well. Maybe Im thinking about something else though.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by CORT noob
Does the Solo to Killing in the Name By Rage Against the Machine sort of what you are talking about?

He uses the whammy and just tremelo picks. Last time I checked my whammy doesn't make anything faster. If you want some stuff to do with it though listen to some Rage Against the Machine. Tom Morello uses it tons in the Battle for Los Angeles cd. The intro for Know Your Enemy is pretty sweet too and uses the whammy.
i like to buy pedals because i need them, and have a use for them.

not buy things, then have to ask the internetz why i bought it
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by GNRAGE_2010
He uses the whammy and just tremelo picks. Last time I checked my whammy doesn't make anything faster. If you want some stuff to do with it though listen to some Rage Against the Machine. Tom Morello uses it tons in the Battle for Los Angeles cd. The intro for Know Your Enemy is pretty sweet too and uses the whammy.

He uses it in the Know Your Enemy intro? Isn't that just a killswitch?
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I sorta know what you are talking about, but you need a delay to do it. I do something like what you are talking about in one of my originals. The whammy is really quite a complicated device. When i first bought it, I wasn't too fond of it, but you need to learn how to use it and then you'll love it.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
As far as Muse songs go:

Muscle Museum : the intro is 1 octave up.
Invincible: Solo 1 octave up
New Born: Solo 1 Octave up.

Tom Morello pretty much rapes the thing it's in nearly all his solo's. Usually 2 octave's up.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i like to buy pedals because i need them, and have a use for them.

not buy things, then have to ask the internetz why i bought it

I guess if you tremolo pick a note while gradually pressing down the pedal, it appears that the playing is faster. You could also play some chords and do a subtle pitch shift, I think they sound cool

Congrats on the buy though!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by johnny_tapia
He uses it in the Know Your Enemy intro? Isn't that just a killswitch?

Yeah, set it at a perfect 5th and use the killswitch with hammer-ons and pull-offs
Quote by GNRAGE_2010
Yeah, set it at a perfect 5th and use the killswitch with hammer-ons and pull-offs

Cool, I have learned something new today
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Question, if the reason you can't use bass on a guitar amp because the frequencies produced are too low so can cause speaker damage, how come you can drop multiple octaves on guitar with the whammy with no harm done?
Quote by beckyjc
Question, if the reason you can't use bass on a guitar amp because the frequencies produced are too low so can cause speaker damage, how come you can drop multiple octaves on guitar with the whammy with no harm done?

I would presume because it (the whammy) doesn't amplify the lower frequency signals to the same amplitude as they naturally would be from a bass
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Oh, I have a new one. Do a David Gilmour!
"Why, what do you mean by that add45?" I hear you asking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TQYLbUUDo

Play a single note and raise the pitch by an octave and then carry on playing.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
Question: Is it bad to run a guitar>whammy through a bass amp and go up 1/2 octaves or down 1/2 octaves?
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by plankermaxx
Question: Is it bad to run a guitar>whammy through a bass amp and go up 1/2 octaves or down 1/2 octaves?

No because the speaker in bass amps is better suited to a range of frequencies. The whammy will be a bit muddy through a bass amp though.

The only reason that you cannot run a bass through a guitar amp is that it will blow the fuse due to low frequencies that the speaker cannot handle.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by add45
Oh, I have a new one. Do a David Gilmour!
"Why, what do you mean by that add45?" I hear you asking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TQYLbUUDo

Play a single note and raise the pitch by an octave and then carry on playing.

That is bad @$$, he uses it all over that solo and it sounds stunning...

EDIT: Though I did know it was on his rig and you can hear it several times during The Division Bell, particularly in "High Hopes".
Last edited by RadioMuse at Oct 19, 2007,
The whammy doesnt make anything faster. When you rock the pedal forward on an octave up setting and play a solo like Killing in the Name, the notes are being stretched upwards and therefore SOUND faster.

Doesnt make much sense to be but I can see the logic. But as people are saying, the whammy doesnt do any such thing.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by RadioMuse
That is bad @$$, he uses it all over that solo and it sounds stunning...

EDIT: Though I did know it was on his rig and you can hear it several times during The Division Bell, particularly in "High Hopes".

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr