i'm the rhythm guitarist of my band and i like my chugs to sound really tight....i have to get a new amp cause my rig right now sucks. i play Metal along the lines of As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, God Forbid and would like to know what amp head could i get with the distortion i need for $500-$700. i already got an Avatar 4x12 can with 2 V30 and 2 T75's so i sure that will make a difference.

current amps im looking at are

Mesa/Boogie Recto's
Peavey 5150
Krank Krankenstein
H&K switchblade
Carvin v3

any suggestions, opinions?
My band is Ancient of Days (A.O.D)...we're a decent band hailing from the most Un-metal place in the world, Miami Florida...check us out at www.myspace.com/ancientofdays

Metal Will Live Forever!
Last edited by Rockerdude455 at Sep 6, 2007,
I own the 6505+ and it is definitely a great amp. I can get those dark chugs out of it as well as searing leads, i highly recommend it =). It's cleans are decent enough, but nothing worth bragging about. They should do fine with a little bit of chorus if you need them though.
i just bought a B-52 AT-100. nice amp. dont care if the nick name for this amp is "poor mans mesa" hah i like it. i play metal too and that amp sounds nice. cleans are pretty good for a tube amp too. distortion is good and punchy and it has a Tri-mode Rectifier so you can change the sound from Tube a to tube a/b o solid state. very useful. anyways i got this for $600 new at guitar center at the labor day sale...i think its $700 normal.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
well i can get a 5150/6505 for the same price on ebay...and ive tried the B52...not impressed, the Valveking gave me better chugs using a Hellraiser Tempest with EMG's on it.
My band is Ancient of Days (A.O.D)...we're a decent band hailing from the most Un-metal place in the world, Miami Florida...check us out at www.myspace.com/ancientofdays

Metal Will Live Forever!
Maybe look for a Marshall JCM 800 somewhere. I got the 2205 and it is unbelievable, great for metal.
all those would be good for what you want... just go try them to see which one you like best

obviously my answer would be biased (check sig)
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
ENGL, Deizel and a good old JCM 800 are good ways to look.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
id love to get a mesa/bogie recto, believe

im mostly stuck between a 5150/6505 or a Single Recto

Metal Will Live Forever!
Quote by Rockerdude455
id love to get a mesa/bogie recto, believe

im mostly stuck between a 5150/6505 or a Single Recto

same boat i was in. i ended up choosing the recto over the 5150 (although they cost a bit more) because i thought it had a better 'roar'... hehe best way for me to describe my decision...
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
i saw a 5150 for 700 on ebay recently

Metal Will Live Forever!
Out of all those, I'd choose the Recto for sure, though I haven't tried the Switchblade or used the V3 Extensively, that is, if you can get a dual recto that cheap.

If I had to choose between the others, either the 5150 or the V3.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Im not really a big fan of rectos, their bottom end sounds kinda 'loose' .
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
The Switchblade may not be the amp for you. The preamp is really a solid state setup with added tubes for warmth (similar to the Vox Valvetronix), though the power amp is all tube. The Switchblade is primarily for people who need a bit of everything in an amp and are willing to compromise to get it, it's versatility is outstanding. However, if you are seeking an amp solely for metal, there are better sounding options available.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
The Switchblade may not be the amp for you. The preamp is really a solid state setup with added tubes for warmth (similar to the Vox Valvetronix), though the power amp is all tube. The Switchblade is primarily for people who need a bit of everything in an amp and are willing to compromise to get it, it's versatility is outstanding. However, if you are seeking an amp solely for metal, there are better sounding options available.

Saying that, Killswitch Engage used it as their signature amp on gigs, before going with the Framus Cobra.