I have an old Hondo Deluxe Explorer copy, with the stock DiMarzio Super Distortions, that I have been messing around on; but I have an issue that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

The neck pickup sounds just like you'd expect from a vintage DiMarzio; loud, brash and crunchy. But the bridge pickup is super weak and trebley; we're talking Tele-thin here folks! I tapped the pole pieces and both coils seemed equally loud, but at the same time at almost half the volume the other pickup gave me.

I haven't been able to measure the impedance yet, I'm planning on doing that on Fri.

I checked the wiring, and everything looks right. It's only a 2 conductor pup; so unless they messed it up @ the factory I don't think it can be a polarity issue.

Any ideas as to what it might be would be appreciated.

If you need more information, I'll try my best to help.

If worst does come to worst, is there a way to repair the issue? Should I just go buy a new pup? If I do buy something else, does anyone have suggestions as to what could stand up to the Super Distortion Standard?

Thank you in advance

Parallelcircuit
I dont think I can even come up with a proper explanation for that...the wiring must have been messed up. Sorry I cant be of any more help.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
It sounds like one of your coils is broken and/or shorted to the pickups bassplate. You will need to check the DC resistance of each coil. Each coil should read around 7k (give or take) so if it's much lower then you have a short and if it reads higher then you have a broken coil.

If they both read the correct amount then chances are the pickup is wired out of phase with it's self.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It sounds like one of your coils is broken and/or shorted to the pickups bassplate. You will need to check the DC resistance of each coil. Each coil should read around 7k (give or take) so if it's much lower then you have a short and if it reads higher then you have a broken coil.

If they both read the correct amount then chances are the pickup is wired out of phase with it's self.

I agree. I've had a broken coil. It sounded really quiet, and trebly.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I'll buy it off you i have a working dimarzio SD bridge lying around that i've been itching to use how much you want? i scraped it from my hondo LP just before it got stolen. i had the same problem iwth my neck pickup. sucker did me a favor thing was wasting space. but yeah how much you want for it?
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
For the record TS, I believe those were Mighty Mite pickups, though they are similar to early DiMarzios in many ways, DiMarzio was a high end brand, mainly found and Charvels and the like. As for the issue, I also agree with the diagnosis that it may have a broken coil or short.
Listen to corduroy, he knows what he's talking about.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
cold solder joint maybe?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by CJRocker
For the record TS, I believe those were Mighty Mite pickups, though they are similar to early DiMarzios in many ways, DiMarzio was a high end brand, mainly found and Charvels and the like. As for the issue, I also agree with the diagnosis that it may have a broken coil or short.

nope hondo used dimarzios. and think before you speak i have played various cheap guitars with dimarzios, so they aren't exactly picky considering that they are high end.
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.