anyone got any good excersises that will help me be able to rip through the modes without thinking, i mean i have all the patterns memorized and i can play them up and down the neck but i have to start from the beginning and go to the end, i cant just stop in the middle and rip to another one, make sense?
I printed out the fretboard complete with notes and marked on which modes were where in the key of E, I had the positions memorized in just a few minutes.
Bring back Tabo
Do you understand the theory behind the modes and the importance of the underlying chords, or have you simply learned them as patterns? If you know the thoery then just keep practicing and studying, it'll stick eventually...if it's just as patterns then my honest advice to you would be to rip everything up and start again.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
then how would you recommend doing it? what do you mean underlting theory? lay it on me and ill see if i understand it
Well by theory he means understanding what modes are. The formulas. The fact that from each mode, a certain 7th chord is obtained and how each mode sounds special played over that chord. Which other chords can be used. And all of this, can be found in the Sticky in Musician Talk.
The modes are nothing more than differnt "faces" of the major scale...which one appears depends on the underlying chords. In other words, all you've done is learn the same thing 7 times over....

You need to go back to the major scale and study that more closely - what matters most in modes is the chords you're playing over as it's those that actually determine which mode, if any, you're playing.

The harsh reality is, if you're wailing up and down in E Phrygian with no backing then you aren't actually playing anything other than the good old C major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok i think i have been misunderstood, i do understand the modes and what i am basically trying to do is get an exercise that will help me to get moving all over the neck staying in a scale rather than playing it in one position then moving to the next and playing it.

make more sense?
im no expert on modes, but the point is, its the same scale, youre just using a different major scale in whatever key is being played to get a different feeling or effect. right guys?

if you can play the pentatonic (which is what you should start with) all over the neck, then you can add in the IV and VII tones and play the hexatonic all over the neck. then you apply what you know about modes and play what mode you want in whatever key youre in, right guys? so you dont play the E phrygian any differently than you would play C major (using steven's example).

i think that might help.
i understand that, what im askin is if there are any exercises to get playing that cmaj ddorian ephrygian flydian gmixolydian all over the neck
this may be what you're looking for. It's an exercise to connect all the positions all over the neck.

I'm learning modes at the moment and know that in order to get across that mode's 'feel' the underlying chords have to reflect that mode. Such as using Maj7 #11 under Lydian.

I think this is right anyway, I'm not a theory guru like other members